Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Persecutor Bomber - a little over the top?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ok, I turned my finely tuned 'that other game system' rules-lawyering eyes onto the rules and, pg 72 of the FF Rulebook under the sub-section of the special rules chapter: Reserves, it clearly states that "The newly arrived unit may not engage the enemy as a part of this Activation but may carry out any other actions, the unit is then activated as normal."

There, RAW (Rules as Written) clear as day, using a reserve action, a flyer cannot enter the board using a Strafing Run (Move or Double Move action only), use said action to target an enemy and then leave in the same turn only to repeat next turn.
    Quite clearly specified.

Sorry it took a few days, I've been working every day lately and I just want to do nothing when I get home at night.

Hopefully that fixes the problem. Mantic have written a complete and concise series of rules with very little 'wiggle-room' to be a WAAC player.

DC

Comment

So yesterday I played Warpath big battle. We noticed in the rules that after a strafing run, the aircraft removes all suppression markers. Really??

Comment

That's because its going into reserve and needs command dice to reenter play. I'm guessing it was a book keeping decision to make gameplay a little smoother.

Comment

Originally posted by MrPieChee View Post
          That's because its going into reserve and needs command dice to reenter play. I'm guessing it was a book keeping decision to make gameplay a little smoother.
          The thing is in Firefight that doesn't happen. I'm guessing is a case of a rule that was supposed to be changed but only got changed in one rulebook.
          Tales of a Stranded Ghekkotah

KoW Painting Blog

Comment

Maybe, but there are more rules that are different to address the different gameplay
            of course the RC need to give us a statement if the removing of the suppression tokens in WP is indented or not

Comment

Originally posted by kodos View Post
              Maybe, but there are more rules that are different to address the different gameplay
              of course the RC need to give us a statement if the removing of the suppression tokens in WP is indented or not
              Do they ever show up around here?

KoW Painting Blog

Comment

Originally posted by El_Guardian View Post

Do they ever show up around here?
                Actually yes, sometimes, when the moon and stars align.
                To be fair at least they do show up and give us clarification.

DC

Comment

I play most of Mantic's games and I follow most correspondence on this forum and facebook groups. KoW is well covered by the RC and they quickly answer any questions the public has. Sadly this is not the case with Warpath/Firefight. Do we know if they are working on an FAQ/Errata? There are clearly inconsistencies, imbalances and lack of restrictions in army building that need to be addressed asap.

MrPieChee the flyers are already overpowered as they are. If for the sake of making the game smoother the flyers' suppression markers are removed, then why shouldn't all the other vehicles/tanks also remove their suppression markers the following turn?

Comment

Originally posted by dimonju View Post
                    I play most of Mantic's games and I follow most correspondence on this forum and facebook groups. KoW is well covered by the RC and they quickly answer any questions the public has. Sadly this is not the case with Warpath/Firefight. Do we know if they are working on an FAQ/Errata? There are clearly inconsistencies, imbalances and lack of restrictions in army building that need to be addressed asap.
                    I agree with you, Warpath/Firefight RC doesn't seems to be as much focused as the KoW RC. It's strange since Mantic is supposed to be trying to push the new game.

KoW Painting Blog

Comment

are the same people working on StarSaga and Dreadball 2?
                      this would explain why they have no time for WP

Comment

I imagine once the game is released en-masse then they can actively begin RC and errata, however, as we have some time before full release, I would say they are carefully cataloguing our conversations and compiling for post release..
                        I hope.

DC

Comment

Originally posted by dimonju View Post
                          the flyers are already overpowered as they are. If for the sake of making the game smoother the flyers' suppression markers are removed, then why shouldn't all the other vehicles/tanks also remove their suppression markers the following turn?
                          because they aren't leaving the board. I agree that flyers seem overpowered, but I also haven't seen anyone play with them correctly. (Although correctly might still be up for debate until an FAQ). Only being able to use a strafing run twice in a game makes flyers costly if that's all you do. I don't think that keeping suppression will be the fix that flyers need.

Most tables that I've played on recently have been short of 'off pitch space', so not having to worry about keeping suppression tokens with, potentially several, flyers is a little easier. Additionally, flying off the board for a turn effectively gives the flyer time to regroup in safety, so it makes game sense too.

I've been making a list of suggestions for future releases (which I'll post when mantic has got further through its release cycle), but I think the biggest improvement to flyers would be providing anti-air options, which get bonuses when on overwatch to any flyer that passes by.

The limit to this is adding antiair to every list when you might not face any...

[Edit: in my early morning tired state, I imagined up some system where flyers have to spend a turn off the board when I wrote above. But, perhaps that's the fix. The reserves order can't be used on a unit which left the board last turn.

Can flyers shoot when they enter play? They have to move, and I assume they can short action shoot? Perhaps another fix would be to remove the options to shoot as well as engage?]
                          Last edited by MrPieChee; 21-04-2017, 08:19 AM. Reason: Me tired

Comment

Originally posted by MrPieChee View Post

Can flyers shoot when they enter play? They have to move, and I assume they can short action shoot? Perhaps another fix would be to remove the options to shoot as well as engage?]
                            In both Warpath & FF Flyers cannot shoot on the turn they arrive, being able to make ONLY a single or double move action only.

DC

Comment

Originally posted by DerekContyre View Post

In both Warpath & FF Flyers cannot shoot on the turn they arrive, being able to make ONLY a single or double move action only.

DC
                              That isn't correct. They can shoot.

KoW Painting Blog

Comment

this is easy misreaded
                                a flyer enter the board by a move or double move action and they can perform any other short action if it was just a move action
                                they cannot perform a strafing run after they enter

Comment

Working...
                                X