(Firefight) Reserves From an Embarked Commander

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• (Firefight) Reserves From an Embarked Commander

It was mentioned today that this Veermyn Tunneler list that exposed some of the available rules exploits might not actually work as advertised. I went to reading and am forced to agree from a rules as written perspective.

From Aerial Deployment (Page 60, paragraph 3)
    As with the Reserves Order, if the unit contains the Commander giving the Order, this entry point can be anywhere on the board. Otherwise, the entry point must be within range of a Commander that is already on the table.

The main point here is that if an embarked commander is giving the Reserves Order, the Transport must come in within range of a different commander already on the board. The Transport unit does not contain the commander, they are separate units and the embarked Commander is not on the table at the time the entry point is chosen.

As a side note:
    Interestingly, the rules for AD seem to indicate that AD and Reserves work the same because it says "As with" but Reserves has a distinct difference in that there are three more powerful words at the end:

From Reserves (Page 72, paragraph 6)
    If the Commander giving the Order is in the Reserve unit, this entry point can be anywhere on any board edge. Otherwise, the entry point must be within range of the Commander already on the table giving the Order.

So with regular Reserves, if an embarked commander gives the order, the game glitches and nothing happens.
    Last edited by spellduckwrong; 20-02-2018, 10:37 PM.

While strictly RAW seems to indicate this, I still think that the main question(s) would be:
    "Does a Commander transported by a Transport held in Reserve count as being "in the Reserve unit" (pg 72, paragraph 6) and is thus able to issue the Reserves Order to the transport to bring it, the commander itself, and any other unit it carries into play?
    Likewise, does a transport held in reserve that carries/transports a Commander count as "containing the Commander" (pg 72) in regards to the Reserves Order for Aerial and Subterrean Deployment?"
    (Please note that there are no Transports with Aerial Deployment in the game currently, so this questions pertains mainly to Transports with Subterrean Deployments).

So rephrasing again to a more generic question:
    What is the exact definition of the two following conditions regarding commanders in transports held in Reserve?
    - "If the unit contains the Commander giving the Order" pg 60
    - "If the Commander giving the Order is in the Reserve unit", pg 72

And a secondary, corollary question has not been adressed yet

"Do units that enter on a Transport that has been given the Reserves order, count as having been given the Reserves order as well?"
    After all, they were held in Reserve befoe and are now entering from Reserves for free, thanks to their ride"

Comment

I don't think that they way they wrote it was how they meant it to function. I believe the intention was indeed to let embarked commanders give the Reserves order, but that is just an opinion. The additional questions you raise also need to get answered. In a way, I am thankful for this Veermyn list because it shined some light on many of the gray areas in the rules that may have laid dormant for quite some time.

Comment

I was thinking about this again and it overlaps with one of the other threads asking about measuring an effect's radius from a vehicle. Can a Commander that is embarked on a Transport which is already on the table use the Reserves order to call in another unit using traditional Reserves? If the vehicle blocks commans range the answer is no. Once again, I do not believe this was the intention but further highlights the need for clarification.

Comment

I was thinking about this again and it overlaps with one of the other threads asking about measuring an effect's radius from a vehicle.
          Technically yes, but, they are about 2 different situations based on the same condition of a Commander inside a vehicle. Both Reserves and Command ranges are different situations in this instance.

Can a Commander that is embarked on a Transport which is already on the table use the Reserves order to call in another unit using traditional Reserves?
          But the question is not only the Reserves order in this case, but any kinds of order. As kodos pointed out in the other thread, Firefight lacks the specification that, when an unit is in defensible terrain or in a transport, all ranges are measured from the edge the terrain piece or transport.

By the way, I have posted a link to some of our discussions here in the Firefight FB group, using the questions I summarized above.

Comment

Working...
          X