X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• some questions about Warpath ecosystem

Hi,

I'm currently a huge king of war fan.
    I also reccently started to build an army of game workshop dark eldar to still play with good old friends that still only want to play sci fi miniature game. So my questions are :

- what's the current ruleset ? By browsing on mantic website I found many rule book and don't understand which rules prevails. I have read the "Warpath : operation heracles starter rulebook". But does this is another game variant ? What's firefly ? I just don't understand what's what... Any help here would be cool. The rules I've read so far seems pretty fun!

- which armies best suit our other game armies so that we can play official armies uqing other company proxy until we bought additional mantic miniatures ? I feel space marines would make decent enforcers, Imperial guard are good CGPS whild eldars would make almost decent aesterians. Am I true ?

- Is the game active ? I feel like there is little to no activity on this forum. Do mantic release products in warpath range on a regular basis ?

Almost Daily Baldy Worded Hobby Progress.

I'm sure someone else said Firefly somewhere, but can't find it....

Anyway, Mantic have three sci-fi games in increasing size: deadzone, firefight, warpath.

Deadzone is really active and well received. Normally 5-10 models.

Firefight isn't very active, and has very mixed opinions. Plays with 30-50 models.

Warpath isn't very active either, and the team bases are a bit polarising (people either don't give it a chance, or like it). Plays with 80+ models. Personally my favorite ruleset, but needs work.

All use the same range of models, and has had releases most months for the last year or so.

Dark eldar don't really fit any of the armies. Unlike Kings of war, mantic has tried steering away from proxy armies. You could give asterians a try - probably the closest you'll get, but they are more like necrons.

The forums have been quiet ever since a web hosting mishap - it hasn't got anything to do with how well or badly a ruleset is doing.

Comment

Deadzone is an awesome game
      Personally, I prefer Fireifght over Warpath...but I do agree, they both don't seem to be popular, unlike say Kings of War

All three share the same models
      Yes, your ideas about which is which is pretty much spot on...though as MrPieChee stated, Mantic don't encourage proxy armies with Warpath/Deadzone as much as they do with Kings of War. (and they will likely move away from that with KoW as they release models...remember, they are a miniature company and need to sell their own models/miniatures at the end of the day)

Dark Eldar don't fit...but I guess you could make a case for Asterians with them, just as you could with Eldar. Especially if you use Wychs...as they come across a lot like Kalysi.
      I understand the Necron comment due to the constructs...but Eldar is a more apt comparison background wise and aesthetically.

Comment

I once made a quick proxy list for a local group to test the FireFight rules (there is no spoiler tag here so a google docs link)
        https://docs.google.com/document/d/1...it?usp=sharing

the basic is, the Deadzone/FF/WP Factions lists are more diverse than the current 40k lists (8th edition is bringing diversion by having different strategic commands for the armies, while the army lists internal balance is down to 5 different units)

So Asterians can do fine as Necrons, Eldar or Dark Eldar depending on your focus on units
        Regarding background and aesthetic, non of the 40k stuff really fits, as 40k is Fantasy in Space, rule wise and in background, mixed with aspects from all kind of different Sci Fi lores (from Battletech to Dune)

The Warpath is a real SciFi Universe

Originally posted by PrinceClark View Post
        Deadzone is an awesome game
        Mantic don't encourage proxy armies with Warpath/Deadzone as much as they do with Kings of War. (and they will likely move away from that with KoW as they release models...remember, they are a miniature company and need to sell their own models/miniatures at the end of the day)
        This is a very tricky part, I come from historical TT and having rules independent from the models is way to go there.

but than, most Fantasy players are used to get everything from the same company and the main reason I heard if I wanted to talk someone into KoW was "I don't like the models so I don't want to start it"
        For some people, not liking the fantasy Elves from Mantic is also a good reason to stay away from Deadzone

I don't think that being more strict with alternative minis would sell more KoW models as those who like the models and the game buy it anyway and those who don't like the models will never buy them even if they happen to play KoW

Deadzone/Warpath is in a complete different spot than KoW. Models are treated differently, there is no real and/or superior alternative (hands down, for Fantasy Dwarfs or Elves there are lot of different miniatures out there in all kind of styles and people can choose what they like best, I personally like the AoW and MoM Dwarfs and the Mantic Elves and have build my armies with those models, while there is nothing comparable for ForgeFathers or Enforcers out there) and SciFi in general is at the moment more in favour as Fantasy.

Deadzone is also small enough that even people with a big collection from other games (not only 40k) don't mind to buy another Box to play the game (so KoW Vanguard would to the job there too)

So that Deadzone/Warpath is more strict is not a big problem anymore (as we now have models to play for all the factions) but than I would like to see a factions list that allows more freedom of choice and is not so strict model wise (just because I like tinkering and conversions and miss the freedom of previous Warpath editions to play Aliens vs Marines or Mobile Infantry VS Bugs)

PS: just to clarify, here we use proxy for stuff that does not fit or represents something different, like using a water bottle als dragon or Space Marines als Elves, while Count as is using something that fits but is not the original, eg using Space Marines as Chaos Space Marines, or GW models for the Uncharted Empires armies

Comment

I know exactly what you mean. Although I have some GCPS models (and every intention of getting many more), I tend to use my much larger Imperial Guard Collection for many games.

I'm also likely to get a lot of Enforcers, with some GoA Concord and GW IG and Eldar (Dire Avengers and Guardians) to make some conversions for my own faction I am developing with my gaming group.

It's going to be an expensive conversion and no longer look like any one companies model....but will still be used as a "counts as" in many games.

Comment

Thank you for your answers. My point was "what faction would best suit our current miniature set so that I can now switch from 40k to warpath and start to buy mantoc miniatures instead."

If mantic ever decide to restrict usable miniature in king of war, I bet it will hurt the game and so profit more than helping. The way to sold more miniatures is to sell cool and fun minis, not to enforce their use by thighening the ruleset I think. The player I know who play KoW iniatially started it cause the game allowed them to play their own collection with little effort. The last releases of kow miniatures being really awesome, many friends considered to buy some of them ( chroneas model is so damn good ).
            Almost Daily Baldy Worded Hobby Progress.

Comment

the latest rules are here
              http://www.manticgames.com/free-rules.html

If you want to directly jump from 40k, Warpath would be the right size (model wise, 2000 matched play points in 8th edition fit 2000 points Warpath)

Regarding Minis, Space Marines make decent Enforcers, but the faction that fits them better in theme and playstyle are Forge Fathers
              But use the link above as a guide for proxies and/or to create a base army with your existing miniatures that get expanded model wise

Originally posted by PrinceClark View Post
              I'm also likely to get a lot of Enforcers, with some GoA Concord and GW IG and Eldar (Dire Avengers and Guardians) to make some conversions for my own faction I am developing with my gaming group.
              Sounds nice
              I plan to use my old metal Thousand Sons Upgrade Bits to make a different kind of Enforcers (originally planned to make True Scale Marines, but as GW now has the bigger Marines the Enforcer are perfect to replace the old Marine bodies)

Comment

Working...
              X