Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Interested in writing for Ironwatch, the Mantic fan magazine?

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Interested in writing for Ironwatch, the Mantic fan magazine?

Ironwatch Issue 62 is now out!

Information about the magazine is below:

In addition, we're looking for mini pictures and article writers, so if you're interested, go ahead and post and let us know so we can get you included in our latest issue!

Original post, for posterity:
    We're starting a new Mantic fan magazine (Okayed by Mantic themselves!), similar in quality and content to the Mantic Journal, White Dwarf, or Wargaming Illustrated. The magazine will be free to download in a pdf format, and will be published once a month during the first week of the month. We're looking for your help in making this possible, as this magazine will be drawn from the best that the Mantic community has to offer! If you're interested in any of this, message me and I can invite you to the Mantic Fan Magazine group where we'll organize and submit articles.

If you're interested, right now we're looking for:

(THE BIG THREE. We need as many of these as possible at first, as this will really help flesh out the magazine in its initial format)

1) Artists: Fan art is appreciated and welcomed!

2) Authors: Background stories, fluff, or adventures and history, whatever floats your boat! This also applies to battle reports, painting modelling tutorials, etc.

3) Searchers: Just looking for and helping us find awesome Mantic related articles of all kinds is helpful, as we then can ask for permission to reprint their article. This includes blog posts or forums outside of the official Mantic ones.

Other help needed (If you want to help with more than one, feel free to!):

-Editors: There will be a lot of content, and the more eyes to help us proofread it, the better!

-Rule Designers: We're hoping to include a sample of special rules each issue, to add flavor to scenarios or give fun alternative gameplay methods.

-Battle Reporters: Any battle reports you have would be great! They add a lot of flavor, especially if we can show both pictures of the battle as well as diagrams of troop placements from a program like Vassal or Battle Chronicler.

-Campaign designers: We're hoping to have an ongoing campaign in the magazine as well, with a new flavored scenario that builds off of the results of the last scenario. Players will be able to post if they won/lost and who they fought against, and so we'll need authors for the overarching story, forum people to help moderate and track the web polls, and possibly rule designers for any special rules in the scenarios.

-Comic artist: A nice ongoing comic would be a fun touch.

If you're interested, let us know and we'll invite you to the group. Take the opportunity to help make the Mantic community even more amazing!
    Save
    Last edited by darkPrince010; 09-01-2018, 08:53 AM.
    The Ironwatch Magazine

My personal blog

I would be happy to be A Searcher. If you need more.
    Purchased 0 - 57 Painted

Comment

I can do editing, writing, batreps... whatever really

Feel free to add my first Sylvan Fey story into the mix of articles to consider. I'm working on the next one at the moment so that can be considered too once it's ready.
      "It's going to be like loading a bucket of sick into a rapid-firing bazooka"

Comment

Wonderful thank you both!

I've already sent out invites for the group, and you can submit anything you've written or found in the Discussion section of the group. The sooner we get material, the better, as we're hoping for a release of Issue 01 in early August!
        The Ironwatch Magazine

My personal blog

Comment

I'm happy to write guides/tutorials. Here's one I wrote earlier: http://imgur.com/a/nDb1D

Comment

I'm happy to write up things like Battle Reports (I only really play KoW at my club anyway). Also happy to help with proof-reading and also have a few ideas for stories/background etc.
            Real conflicts should be fought over a table with pizza, beer and dice!

Comment

Cool! I'll invite Daedle (That tutorial is awesome, btw. Water effects + model bases = awesome), and Sharad already has an invite pending for the Fanzine group!
              The Ironwatch Magazine

My personal blog

Comment

Well, I can give a try as an fan artist. Link to my DevianArt gallery is in my signature, so take a look.
                Hard as stone, twice as stubborn.

http://thanebobo.deviantart.com/gallery/

Comment

@Thane: Holy crap, your stuff is awesome! We'd love if you'd be willing to do art for the fanzine! I've sent you a link to the group page.

Also, we're trying to keep this fanzine PG/PG-13, so while cheesecake is fine please keep this in mind Other than that, we'd be happy to use either custom art, or (especially) art that ties in with a story or other article like a battle report.
                  The Ironwatch Magazine

My personal blog

Comment

Hi,

I can write fluff, either for new units, ongoing heroes or whatever really, just give me a heads up and I'll make it my own.

I'd also be interested in writing articles, about general gaming issues - How you deal with "That guy", the different types of wargamers and what they want out of the hobby, issues when running a club, etc.

Hobby articles? I'm not the greatest painter but I'd love to do a few tutorials about how I did XYZ - For example, I just made a river for my gaming board at home, think a step by step of how I did it could fit in the magazine. Was considering doing it anyway as a blog post.

Tactics and rules design too, whether adding a new unit, a mercenary unit anyone can hire, small rule changes to see how they affect your games (alternate activation in kings of war) etc.

And general editing, of course, if you need it Just let me know how we're going to work this

(And for anyone doing battle reports, remember mantic has DKH and Pandora. DKH especially would be cool, as you can now select a team of models)
                    Last edited by ManticfanboyLAD; 25-07-2012, 12:00 AM.
                    Not to be confused with the Frantic Man-Boy seen running around Lenton.
                    Now taking commissions for deadzone and dreadball - Check out my blog to see what my works like, PM me and we'll arrange something

Comment

@fanboy: Wonderful! Practical stuff like that is essential as well, and fluff for new units would be great! (We could also have someone doing crunch give them solid rules to go along with it!). Your invite to the group has been sent

Also, your idea for a special rule for alternating activation in KoW: Didn't think of that before now, and now I desperately want to try it already
                      The Ironwatch Magazine

My personal blog

Comment

I'm quite interested in this. My gaming group and I can offer general help with editing and I'd really like to do battlereps once my group gets some more painted armies and terrain pieces. I could probably commit to a scenario/battlerep/rule piece every other month based on my work schedule.

Comment

That'd be great! Semiregular batreps or rules would be a welcome addition. I've sent you the invite to the Fanzine group.
                          The Ironwatch Magazine

My personal blog

Comment

i can help with battle reports and stuff from the Lowlands like dutch event coverages
                            Current Project:
                            Forge Fathers and Ogres

Comment

Cool! Coverage of events and games outside of the US/UK is greatly appreciated, and helps us be a bit more well-rounded. I've sent you a PM about joining the fanzine group
                              The Ironwatch Magazine

My personal blog

Comment

Working...
                              X