Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

[DISCUSSION] Clarifications on beta charge rules before we dig in..............

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [DISCUSSION] Clarifications on beta charge rules before we dig in..............

Before me and my son dig in to do some play testing, I would like to get some agreement on what is and is not a legal charge from the players and from Mantic. These charge rules are significantly different than in other Fantasy Skirmish games I have played. I have below 8 charge scenarios shown as legal or illegal (attached 5 pics with justifications written below, 3 more pics in following post since 5 is limit per post). Legal meaning you get the extra free attack and extra dice, illegal means its just a run (where you could still fatigue an attack, but without bonuses). I should clarify that all models are Height 2. On to the examples:

Charge Example 1 is Legal because:
    * Charger has LOS to Target
    * Charger is using the most direct path
    * Charger does not have to follow the movement rule about keeping 1" away from enemy models because it is moving to engage
    * Target is within charge distance of Charger

Charge Example 2 is Legal because:
    * Charger is using the most direct path models (Charge rules allow moving around blocking models)
    * Charger does not have to follow the movement rule about keeping 1" away from enemy models because it is moving to engage

Charge Example 3 is Illegal because:
    * Charger does not have LOS to Target

Charge Example 4 is Legal because:
    * Charger is using the most direct path

Charge Example 5 is Illegal because:
    * Charger does not have LOS to Target

Charge Example 6 is Illegal because:
    * Charger is NOT using the most direct path or
    * Target is NOT within charge distance of Charger

Charge Example 7 is Legal because:
    * Charger is using the most direct path (Charge rules allow moving around blocking Impassable Terrain)

Group Charge Example 8 is Legal because:
    * Lead (first) Charger has LOS to Target (other chargers in the group do not require LOS)
    * Chargers are using the most direct path
    * Chargers do not have to follow the movement rule about keeping 1" away from enemy models because they are moving to engage
    * Target is within charge distance of Chargers

Thanks for any clarifications.
    Last edited by Helznicht; 13-02-2018, 02:37 AM.

3 more example pics

Comment

Unless a model is moving to Engage an enemy model, it may not move within 1" of any enemy models.
      I have to admit I read this as its only the model you are moving to engage that you don't have to stay an 1" away from. So as we played last night some of the examples where there is a 1.25" gap we wouldn't charge through as it takes us within an 1" of an enemy model. We played that you would need in your first example a 3" gap between the Blocker models to charge directly through. Or you would have to move around if you had enough movement like in example 2 but still staying an 1" away from Blocker as you move around. Perhaps I am thinking to much of zones of control in this case a 1" bubble around models that doesn't exist in this game.
      I defer to people with more experience but a RC member clarifying would be great.

Comment

If it was intended to keep the 1" buffer zone, I would think that it would be worded as such:

Unless a model is moving to Engage an enemy model, it may not move within 1" of that enemy model.

My first read of the rule in the alpha was the same as yours, this was clarified on the facebook fanatics page by mantic that indeed a model can move within 1" of any model as long as it ends its movement engaged with an enemy model.

Comment

Coolio, that opens up a whole new level to the tactical play. No more necromancers charging forward to lightning bolt then. My personal opinion though is there should be a zone around the models. I know its a game but to run between 2 warriors to engage someone behind and the warriors just watch you run past seems a bit. Meehh. Still, I'm all new to this so we will go with the people who have play tested the hell out of it.

Comment

Thanks by the way Helznicht.

Comment

Tricky to see all the pictures on the device Iím using but...

We removed the 1Ē zone at one point during testing. Iíve asked to playtesting group to consider putting it back in so that models cannot intentionally go within 1Ē of an enemy model unless they are engaging it. Play it that way and let me know how it goes.
              "It's going to be like loading a bucket of sick into a rapid-firing bazooka"

Comment

From another thread...

I might write something to the effect that if the shortest, most direct route would take you through enemy models, then running around them to avoid them means itís not a charge and just a run (so no free melee and no charge bonus). What do you think?
                "It's going to be like loading a bucket of sick into a rapid-firing bazooka"

Comment

Originally posted by mattjgilbert View Post
                  From another thread...

I might write something to the effect that if the shortest, most direct route would take you through enemy models, then running around them to avoid them means itís not a charge and just a run (so no free melee and no charge bonus). What do you think?

That would clear it up. Just may want to re word the following from the charging rules

In addition, the charging model must take the most direct rout it can, only avoiding impassable terrain or other models. In Helznicht picture the wording in red which is from the Beta rules seems to make the charge legal.

Under the new wording you propose Matt the charge in the picture would not be legal due to having to run around models.

Comment

Then I guess that would also make running around impassable terrain also not a valid charge? Which would help clear up the wording. You only get the charge if you can see and run straight at the enemy! Again seems to work functionally and thematically to me.

Comment

Thinking about it now it does seem odd you would not get the charge for running around some tall grass but you would for running around the same distance of lake.

Comment

I would think that the most direct path would be a straight line. As far as game terms I feel that a "straight line" leaves it much less to interpretation. It would not stop a model from running around and engaging if that made tactical sense for the player, just would.not get a free melee attack or dice. I agree with the suggestion that any model moving within 1" of an enemy model becomes engadged with that model.

Comment

Working...
                        X