No announcement yet.

Vanguard value?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gotta admit, it's still the most weak KS Mantic did so far, the new abyssal warband makes the deal look better, but so far I'm still at doubt. Let's hope more it's unlocked to seal the deal.

More terrain added would be great, since it's supposed to cheap terrainscapes, they can add a little more to the box. If Mantic wish to stand out in the recent tide of skirmish games, they should make like GW with the Shadow War box, and add a lot of terrain. More command minis would be nice too.

Also I think the add on warbands are just generic bundles of KoW range, instead of tailored for the needs of each style of play in Vanguard. Most are all the same!! Two different warriors, 5 or 3 of each depending base size; one large unit, and two or three command units. Hell! I'd even pay $30 each if that adds a little more minis and variety, to have a proper warband like the Basileans or Nightstalkers. For example, they could include Shieldbreakers and Ironguards to the Dwarf warband, or Mawbeast and a Sneek to the Goblin warband.

Comment

Disagree, I think it's great value at this point and given that I already went in for the Terrain Crate, I don't need any extra terrain in this. Would rather have the minis. Also see this as a way to start a new KOW army (Basileans) so I'm more interested in the regiment expansions and such after I have the base warband.

Comment

So I went from a "I think just a book, thanks. I don't need any new minis" to "well bugger it I'll Join the Vanguard pledge, get some nightstalkers and abyssals as allies for my KoW undead, and the book, those obelisks, the ruined building....and the neoprene mat". I hadn't actually backed any previous mantic kickstarters (except maybe a $1 pledge on terraincreate to keep up with the updates). So while it might not be such great value compared to those previous mantic kickstarters, it's still some great value just in general.
        The Vampire's War Diaries - Undead blog
        http://thevampireswardiaries.blogspot.com.au/

Comment

Yup, agree with the above. The two-player pledge answered the doubts I expressed in my earlier post and with the abyssals and forthcoming (if we get there!) Northern Alliance minis this is now looking very nice indeed.

Comment

It definitely started slowly (read: very badly) but now is looking pretty nice. I'm in for the $US 150 Giant pledge. Three (full) warbands, terrain (I didn't back the terrain crate), and a giant? Plus stretchgoals? OK, you got me!

It was quite a bummer that their offerings were so poor initially. They really had an awful start, and I reckon there's just a glut of reasonably good games out there, that few were excited about this one. I certainly was, and was sorely disappointed it's not doing that well.

Comment

I agree - the initial offering was lackluster but it has come a long way and at this point is IMHO well worth backing. From reading the rules and based on the reports so far it looks to be a great game too.

Comment

Giant pledge is killing it now!

Comment

There is a highly commercial approach in this Kickstarte. It started with a very low value that became no more than decent a lot of strech goals afterwards, then they uncover a very high value offer at the very end to trigger impulse buys based on pictures only. I can bet that the giant pledge was what they had in mind since the very beginning.
                  I feel more sympathy towards Kickstarters which start with a decent offer and bring it to an amazing level thanks to stretch goals. I was expecting more from Mantic...

Comment

Well, I think we all knew Mantic has a strong history of giving lots of goodies, otherwise we wouldn't have even gotten to the funding mark, honestly. But yes, the initial offering was substantially weak, IMO.
                    I think it's worth all the "wait, this stretch goal is cheap! it's only one mini!" style complaints to have a stronger start and add on little by little. Hopefully Mantic adjusts next time. In the meantime, it's a very respectable offering and still has room to grow. I think everything 85+ should be seeing a Blaine mini at least. And it looks like there is at least a beacon terrain piece in the video we haven't seen yet (I don't really care about terrain myself, but that seems to be how they are padding stretch goals since not everyone can be awesome with the offerings being rather full already).

Comment

I really think that Mantic expected more from this kickstarter. But I don't need much in the way of models, I went all in on DS so there is three warbands right there and then I have Ogres (Which I am getting at least one warband, buy a warlock and everything else is $2) and a massive undead army for KoW. And while I didn't get anything from Terrain Crate I have been wargamming for years so I have lots of things to work with for terrain. And I think lots of people are in this boat of minimal buys.
                      Check out my blog: Ghosts From the Black

Comment

Originally posted by IvorTangrean View Post
                        And I think lots of people are in this boat of minimal buys.
                        Well not me that's for sure. Jumped on the Giant pledge as soon as it went up.

And as I saw the Northern Alliance go up .... I splurged another 60 for 2 Terrain maps because they together would fit perfectly on my living room table for some medium sized KOW battles.

Now I'm literally waiting on the edge of my seat for the Northern Alliance to get funded as I find this the most interesting faction out of the 4 so far personally. :-)

Comment

Originally posted by Pancakeonions View Post
                          It definitely started slowly (read: very badly) but now is looking pretty nice. I'm in for the $US 150 Giant pledge. Three (full) warbands, terrain (I didn't back the terrain crate), and a giant? Plus stretchgoals? OK, you got me!
                          I thought it was only two full warbands and a starter abyssal warband? And so I went and checked, and it's actually FOUR FULL warbands now. crazy. Basileans, Night-stalkers, Abyssals, Northern Alliance.
                          The Vampire's War Diaries - Undead blog
                          http://thevampireswardiaries.blogspot.com.au/

Comment

Working...
                          X