Twilight Kin going to the US Masters

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Twilight Kin going to the US Masters

Here is my Kin list for the US Masters... Under 2 weeks now. US Masters is a invite only event and you have to earn your way to the event. 64 top tournaments players from around the country are headed to Chicago. People will be bringing hard as nails lists and sure you see a ton of spamming of units. I expect to see nasty builds. There going to be a video of the first round match ups this Thursday and Sunday. So if your interested? Check them out. This is the Super Bowl for KoW players in the states. You hear some crazy builds and army concepts, that I promise.

How I got into the tournament field. I ended up taking 1st in the Mid Atlantic Region and I even finished 2nd in the South East Region. Top if off I finished top 10 in both Battle and Paragon at last year US Masters. I ended up winning Best Elf player. Going to be hard to improve on last year US Masters numbers. But I got high hopes for this list..

This year I went to the dark side and will be playing the evil Twilight Kin. They play much like the Elves but I became a big fan of the Assassin's and hope they be a great counter to Goblins and Elves. ( plus so many gamers will be running Elves) You see I also run a Regiment of Buccaneers with the Jar. Yes, it's over cost by a few points, but big fan of move and shoot. I used a lot of artifacts to pump up the combat attacks. Hope the army will give me the tools to take on all type of lists and still do well in scenarios. At best we see maybe 2-3 Kin gamers at the US Masters. But there a better chance I might be the only one. ( Go Kin)

My list:

Horde of Crossbowmen w/ Heart Seeking Chant
    Regiment of Buccaneers w/ Jar of 4 Winds

Horde of Chariots w/ Caterpillar
    Horde of Chariots w/ Wine of Elvinkind
    Horde of Chariots w/ Brew of Sharpness
    Horde of Chariots w/ Fire Oil

Dark Lord on Dragon w/ Blessings of the Gods

Mounted Priestess
    Mounted Priestess
    Mounted Standard Bearer w/ Diadem of Dragon Kind
    Assassin w/ Blade of Slashing
    Assassin

2,250 pts
    Last edited by Desert Fox; 13-02-2018, 04:15 PM.

Interesting list. I assumed you've tested this out a lot. I've not had much luck with assassins for the points but others claim they are great and the new stealth boost probably makes them a bit more resilient.

I actually ran two regiments of chariots 1.5 years ago (to unlock more hero slots at 2000 points) and they actually were decent (better value than a troop of Xbowmen) but that extra +1 nerve and +1 move is pretty important as sp7 and less nerve meant too often being wavered and opponents with speed 8 setting up just out of range a charge on them. I still like gargoyles with Basasu to deal with flyers and disorder faster and lighter stuff (with the nerf, the upgrade with Basusu for one unit is more valuable with +1Ne and +1De given the 3+ regen) and threaten individuals and war machines which outrange you or alternatively avengers mounted or even on pegs are quite efficient.

I am not a fan of that heavy of shooting lists due to sports scoring in South but this is Masters. I have been more limited to 2 chariot hordes and the Xbow horde and with more of a combat mix plus the fireballs one two mages and maybe an ASB.

I actually put the jar on crossbowmen because I found that they have less speed, can be more static to then deal with longer range shooting, and to avoid moving in the face of threats a turn longer.
    On the chariots, I've tried +1 move., HS chant, caterpillar, and nimble on hordes but regiments are good value naked, but have been running with them an abyssal rider horde and reaper guard or blade dancer troops/regiments (following behind and screened) to have more combat punch.
    I found that you need more bane chant and inspiriing or rally on the mages and maybe the stealth spell to allow the chariots to survive and then hit harder when they charge.

Comment

Those are very big footprint units, which means they are more easily disordered and not terribly maneuverable etc. I think it will look awesome on the table, but I think you will run into problems on the board regarding maneuverability. Claiming objectives will be a lot trickier. How have you overcome these issues in your games? And good luck at Masters!

Comment

It's been play tested a lot, might even over thought the list to a small degree. It's a good list and can be effective in both shooting & combat. Now Masters it's about the draw of opponents, army match up and scenario. So you need a little luck and a list that does well in the scoring system used for the event. W-L-D with 5 points added or subtracted from battle points.

Comment

Originally posted by godswearhats View Post
          Those are very big footprint units, which means they are more easily disordered and not terribly maneuverable etc. I think it will look awesome on the table, but I think you will run into problems on the board regarding maneuverability. Claiming objectives will be a lot trickier. How have you overcome these issues in your games? And good luck at Masters!
          Lucky for me, I been running those large Chariot horde footprints for a while now. (old hat) It is a challenge to protect those flanks. People running Chariot Hordes for the first time.They find that out quickly enough. But a good battle plan and good use of individuals as chaff,. can go a long way.. Put the Dragon holding a key board area position, helps as well. Like a lot of shooting builds, this list can fall apart fast. ( like a house of cards)
          Last edited by Desert Fox; 14-02-2018, 12:11 AM.

Comment

Yup. "fall apart fast. like a house of cards." But that tends to be an issue with most shooty lists and lists with less De and nerve. That is one reason I have for using abyssal riders (with De5 and more hitting power and sustaining power in melee with regen) and some more melee units, chaff and redirectors and threats like Basusu and gargoyles or avengers, and not spending points on assassins or as much on shooting. It is a more balanced list and also avoids the problem of having the opponent feel helpless when they get shot to pieces so much prior to melee that they have no chance.

Comment

Originally posted by Lurcker2 View Post
              Yup. "fall apart fast. like a house of cards." But that tends to be an issue with most shooty lists and lists with less De and nerve. That is one reason I have for using abyssal riders (with De5 and more hitting power and sustaining power in melee with regen) and some more melee units, chaff and redirectors and threats like Basusu and gargoyles or avengers, and not spending points on assassins or as much on shooting. It is a more balanced list and also avoids the problem of having the opponent feel helpless when they get shot to pieces so much prior to melee that they have no chance.
              My individual fill the role of cheap chaff, way better then Gargoyles. Better defense, nerve & mobility. One of the reason why my house of cards is much harder to get at. This Kin army has the same blue print of my Elves build. That have caused havoc in two different regions. Now I do like Ba'su'su, I went back and forth between him and the Dragon Lord.

If I finish real high in the Masters standings? Those two Assassin's will be a major reason why, so good Vs other shooting builds and disordering flyers. At worse they are a pain in the azz with 4 range attacks with piercing 1 and BS3.
              Last edited by Desert Fox; 14-02-2018, 07:33 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Desert Fox View Post

My individual fill the role of cheap chaff, way better then Gargoyles. Better defense, nerve & mobility. One of the reason why my house of cards is much harder to get at. This Kin army has the same blue print of my Elves build. That have caused havoc in two different regions. Now I do like Ba'su'su, I went back and forth between him and the Dragon Lord.

If I finish real high in the Masters standings? Those two Assassin's will be a major reason why, so good Vs other shooting builds and disordering flyers. At worse they are a pain in the azz with 4 range attacks with piercing 1 and BS3.
                Showing your old game tendencies with BS3? Ra3+

The individuals cannot fly and cannot score on objectives though. But interesting point. I still prefer Basusu to lock down things and still have him with the dragon lord just because of the models I have, the need to protect and hold flanks of the chariots, and the De5 and nerve seems to give the army more hitting power and ability to stay in front of stuff. The mounted avenger is probably better at locking down stuff due to better speed and De5+ (and can even be on a peg as a scoring unit and to counter the big fliers) but is not stealthy like the assassin (the avenger is like the elf prince), and cannot harass like the assassin with shooting. Breath weapons, LBs, and good melee individuals and flying units seem to spell the death of the assassin a bit too often in my meta to put him out there exposed and in range to get shots off early to make him worth running. Given De4+ I even thought of the assassin as one of the few possible decent targets for ensorcelled armour for that reason.

Comment

Pumped for the US Masters can not wait to see how my list does Vs the rest of the field. Yeah old habits are hard to break, some times I still say hard cover also lol.

Comment

Working...
                  X