napolionics

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• napolionics

I've spent the last year painting a bunch of Napoleonic figures to play with Black Powder, however after our last game I realise I don't actually like Black Powder and much prefer KOW. So now I want to alter KOW to make it suitable for Napoleonics, which mostly will mean allowing line, column and square formations etc. I only intend to use it at home, but has anyone else done a decent version of this ? I cant find one in google, other than a stat list, with no formations.

I know KOW isnt meant for muskets, and it will probably have to be altered a fair bit, but KOW mechanics are just so good I'd like to have a go at playing it. Anyone tried ?

I've toyed some with this, but it's hard as the game isn;t really suited to shooting being a MVP. Never played a test game though, so this is all a dry-water excercise.

Some ideas I've been toying with:
    -limited army lists for both opponents. (no heavy melee infantry for instance; most infantry having a gun)
    -being able to take artillery in batteries. (one cannon@ 85 points, pair at 140, battery of three for 170). Cannon ignore obstacles. (or remove them if they hit)
    -musket infantry can take bayonets giving them phalanx and immunity to disorder by taking wounds in melee from mounted models. Maybe even thunderous charge (1)?
    -musket infantry regiments and hordes can reform into square formation instead of moving. If they do, they count as having no flanks/rears, but cannot move (or charge) until they have reformed into a normal formation instead

Ranges for missile weapons
    -Pistols/carabines (cavalry weapon) 12" -> piercing (1)
    -Muskets (18") (piercing (2)
    -Rifles 24" (to represent skirmishers, can only be taken in troops) (piercing (2)
    -mortars 36" Reload! (piercing (1)
    -Cannon 48" Reload! (piercing (4)

Note that most infantry weapons don't have reload! but ranges shorter than in KoW. This is to allow for manouvering and a decent cavalry/infantry balance.
    Nearly everyone will have defense (3) except for medium calvalry (4) and cuirassiers (5).

Comment

The idea is not new and the main problem with standard KoW rules is that Napoleonics usually have formation changes and therefore individual bases (better 4-6 minus per base)

but using the KoM list as basic, you get everything you need
      in addition, more orders would be fine to simulate the formations (square, column of attack, etc)

but in general a official KoW Napoleon would be nice (KoW Revolution to Secession 1790-1870)

Comment

Working...
      X