Questions about Roman list

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Questions about Roman list

Does the historical armies book detail the difference between warriors and heavy warriors in the Roman list ? I am ordering it presently. Looking at the Easy Kow site I hope they have the Romans wrong. Having the Marian and Imperial lists combined with some Polybian and some middle troops all in the same list just seems a bit much. But it is what it is, this is a game so I will just make the best of it. I currently have 40 Imperial Romans and 2 bolt shooters, and 20 Praetorians from Warlord games. Was going to use them for black powder may stick with that plan and pick another historical army for kings of war maybe?

That came out weird sorry.

Comment

The lists aren't historical, you just have to pick and choose the bits you want.

Comment

The roman list is not intended for any specific time period, but rather a list containing units from many different eras of Rome that didn't necessarily exist at the same time.

If you want the army to be true to say, the republican pre-Marian reforms, it's up to you to theme the army by using only units fitting that time period.

The alternative would be to have many different lists for different time periods of Rome, but that would take up a lot of space and be rather fiddly.
        So long and thanks for all the Brains - My undead painting log on the Mantic forum

Zywus' log of random KoW stuff

Comment

The real problem is that I have warlord game imperial romans and they are quite a bit smaller than other warlord figures and ranges lol. But I will figure it out. Thanks for the reply.

Comment

The warlord imperial Romans are so tiny!
            I play with warlord Cesarean Romans as well as Victrics Romans.

I run a pre Marian and post Marin list.
            Probably will run an imperialist down the line.

Comment

Yes they really are tiny! I dont even want to combine them with my warlord 30 years war guys for a KOM army lol. I ordered he historical book so will see the new rules and stuff. I really would love it if people could have the option of running a list out of the historical book in KOW tournies. I hear everybody say that they are not balanced for tourney play but hey who wouldnt want to run Romans at a tourney vs Elves Orcs, Undead win or lose lol. The KOM list is really nice so I might just run them as that.

Comment

I played Vikings with some ogre support (ogres pretending to be Jotun) against a fantasy army and did okay. While it may be true that they haven't been deliberately balanced against fantasy, with the 25% fantasy option at the back of the historical book you can make a reasonable list. I'm not a tournament player, and I imagine a lot of tourney players are considerably better than I am, but I would still imagine they would play well.

Comment

You always could use lists from other games (WAB, Swordpoint, FoG,...) to fix limits to each kind of unit in KoW. I tried last week end and field Republican Roman vs Pyrrhic, using the Roman and Macedonian list in KoWH and the percentage limits from WAB. It worked like a Swiss clock! I made the list using Easy Army indeed!

Comment

Yea the old warlord imperial romans don't really work at all, they are way to small, if you want bigger ones, you should take a look at Victrix, their new imperial roman set is simply wonderful.

Comment

Yes I will look at Victrix for sure! I have heard great things about them. The warlord Imperial Romans line is really neat though so will probably just use them for Hail Caesar when I get around to it. I picked up the pike and shotte guy for Black powder pike and shot so thats where they will probably end up. I really am enjoying the Elves for fantasy. I like balanced armies and seem to play better with them vs the boring one trick pony or power gamer type lists. The key to kings of war seems to be knowing the rules instead of having a winning list which is what I really like. I imagine some of the historical lists while balanced well against each other are better than others against fantasy armies in general. Back to Victrix the seem to be hard to get for some reason, lots of sites have them out of stock. Maybe I just have to order direct.

Comment

Victrix stuff is top quality!
                        I've ordered 7 sets from them so far.

I recommend to just ordering directly from them and maybe waiting for a free shipping deal to pop up.

Comment

Yes I have a couple boxes with scorpions so its not to late for me to switch. I am still flushing out my elves and have a ton of thirty years war guys to do up. But the Romans will be amazing looking at the site!!

Comment

I wish I could trade my 200+ Warlord Legionaries for the new Victrix Imperial Romans. They are magnificent! Victrix really stepped up their quality for plastic miniatures and are putting the Perry's and Warlord Games to shame, imho.

Comment

The Victrix stuff is fantastic but I wouldn't go so far as to say it puts Perry to shame.

Comment

Working...
                              X