BLOODFIRE :: Salamander Battle Reports

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BLOODFIRE :: Salamander Battle Reports

I’ve been working on a multibased Fire Elementals *cough* Salamanders *cough* army since early January, and recently got within (flame) spitting distance of 2000 points! And have remained 160 points shy for weeks now, because painting 18 tiny red lizard things is a big turnoff for me :P

But two blank bases hasn’t kept me from finally getting in some full-sized games! All against clubmate Albanyadriel's own fledgling Empire of Dust. Needless to say, it’s been a learning experience for both of us …

BLOODFIRE GAME 1: EMPIRE OF DUST

Salamanders 2000

Fire Elemental Horde
    Fire Elemental Horde
    Fire Elemental Horde
    Fire Elemental Horde
    Ember Sprites Regiment
    Ember Sprites Regiment
    Ember Sprites Regiment
    Ember Sprites Regiment
    Greater Fire Elemental
    Greater Fire Elemental
    Herald on Raptor -– Blade of Slashing
    Herald –- Healing Charm
    Mage-Priest -– Surge, Inspiring Talisman
    Clan Lord on Fire Drake -– Healing Brew

Empire of Dust 2000

Skeleton Spearmen Regiment
    Skeleton Crossbowmen Horde -– [Shooting Better Item]
    Enslaved Guardian Archer Horde -– [Shooting Better Item]
    Swarm Regiment
    Scavenger Regiment
    Scavenger Regiment
    Revenant Worm Riders -– [Melee Better Item?]
    Balefire Catapult
    Balefire Catapult
    Scorpion Husk
    Bone Giant
    Cursed High Priest –- Breath Attak, Vicious, Mount
    Cursed High Priest –- Breath Attak, Vicious, Mount

This game was played on the cusp of COK’s release, hence the Brew on the CLOFD and the EOD shooters not having +1 to hit (most likely elite on Crossbows and vicious on Guardians).

We rolled up Invade and used COK’s changes to unit strength instead of point cost. I couldn’t tell you if my red dudes won the initiative – typically in Invade I really want it (because shambling and setting up chaff screen vs shooting), but I have a feeling I didn’t get it.

I don’t have strong memories of this game, as it was like a month ago, so this is going to be pictures and commentary.

BATTLE

So red!

Armies shamble towards each other, whilst CLOFD points at stuff! (L2R = Spearmen, Worm Riders, Bone Giant, Scavengers)

Redementals push forward, as the undead attempt to focus fire and the Raptor Herald (= gator, naturally) gets ready to go tie up the EOD shooters.

A battleline shot?! The red tide has deployed Sprite screen and is weathering shooting well.

The Scorpion and Swarms overextend (as seems to be the fate of vanguard troops) and get themselves killed by Elemental hordes. Meanwhile Snappy the Herald has launched himself out of the forest and into the unsuspecting Crossbows …

… and he lands his single 5+ to hit with aplomb! The Crossbows are shut down!

Meanwhile on the right, the fire dudes are in a standoff with Spears, Worms and Giant, but have plenty of inspiring and some healing to back them up, on top of abundant redness.

Unsure of what to do with himself, the CLOFD charges into the Bone Giant … and commences a long grind. Eventually some Fire Elementals flank in and wreck the Giant, which pulls in the Worm Riders, who kill those Elementals but are covered in boiling blood and killed in return.

Back on the left, things have degenerated into Sprites tagteaming some Spearmen – spoiler: they didn’t get much done :| - as the Mage-Priest relentlessly chucks fireballs into a Priest who refuses to die (again). Eventually she burns him to cinders, but not before all those Sprites are speared or breathed to death. Also some Elementals made it into the Crossbow horde and smashed them apart over a couple turns, freeing up Snappy the Herald to pounce on the Guardian Archers, shutting them down for a turn.

The other EOD flank has collapsed under hot, flaming pressure. You can see Snappy doing annoying things to the Guardians (and getting a little beat up for his troubles – he eventually gets clubbed to death with the second Guardian charge, but that’s them not shooting the incoming fire things).

End game has some lucky EOD shooting finish up wounded Elemental hordes, dropping Salamander scoring strength fairly significantly. Despite these last gasps the Elementals win the match fairly handily.

BLOODFIRE VICTORY

Despite the victory, it was a weird experience playing an army so different from my Ratkin, with their oodles of attaks, massive nerve values, ability to project force (even in the striped down combat lists I play), and ability to at the double ... I think what most gets me is how not tough an army of D5+ feels, vs my experience playing almost entirely D3+ or D4+, and how pathetic 18 attaks @ 4+ feels when I finally make it to combat. Plus I still feel like a total surge noob, though I frankly am! Which is all to say, more games please!
    Last edited by Boss Salvage; 24-03-2017, 07:36 PM.

Albanyadriel and I got together for a rematch last Wednesday, after postponing for me getting the flu and then again next week when the snowpocalypse happened around our part of the world. Anyway, we threw down with slightly revised lists!

BLOODFIRE GAME 2: EMPIRE OF DUST

Salamanders 2000

Fire Elemental Horde
    Fire Elemental Horde
    Fire Elemental Horde
    Fire Elemental Horde
    Ember Sprites Regiment
    Ember Sprites Regiment
    Ember Sprites Regiment
    Ember Sprites Regiment
    Greater Fire Elemental
    Greater Fire Elemental
    Herald on Raptor
    Herald on Raptor
    Mage-Priest -– Heal, Surge
    Clan Lord on Fire Drake -– Blessing of the Gods

Healing Herald became Raptor Herald #2 (Chompy), Mage-Priest learned Heal but isn’t inspiring any longer, and CLOFD got elite (and my only magic item!) in hopes of being more useful.

Empire of Dust 2000

Skeleton Crossbowmen Horde -– Blood of the Old King
    Enslaved Guardian Archer Horde –- Chant of Hate
    Swarm Regiment
    Scavenger Regiment
    Scavenger Regiment
    Skeleton Cavalry Regiment -– Casket of the Damned
    Revenant Worm Riders -– Dragonshard Shield
    Balefire Catapult
    Balefire Catapult
    Bone Giant
    Cursed High Priest -– Breath Attak, Vicious, Mount
    Cursed High Priest -– Breath Attak, Vicious, Mount

Scorpion returned to the sands, replaced by Skeleton Cavalry, a unit that I had no respect for, going by stats and what they did in WHFB (i.e. very rarely see the table) … Also COK items up in this!

We chose to play Control (= table quarters, right?), again using COK unit strength. Pretty certain the EOD went first. (The photos + text worked pretty well for me last report, I think I’ll keep that up. Lack of notes makes turn-by-turn rough :X)

BATTLE

Battlelines form! Significantly more skeletons have risen from the sands since last game ;D

Undead shooters struggle with the amount of cover present, even if the fire dudes appear to be busily deforesting their half of the table :P Meanwhile the Swarm goes aggro and charges a GFE, in hopes of holding him and his derpy 8 attaks up.

Swarms are smooshed by CLOFD + GFE team up, and the rest of the red army advances into Tough, Smashy Crescent formation. The EOD move up to tempt charges across the line, while on the right Cavalry + Scavengers envelope their flank, and on the left the other Scavengers go ham into an Elemental flank. They land a wound of disrespect. Shooting hammers down on the central GFE and removes him!

Elementals flame up and charge in: GFE into rear of left Scavengers, Fire horde into Worm Riders, Fire horde into Spearmen, Sprites into other Spears (for victory, but mostly to get out of the way), Fire horde into Bone Giant, and final Fire horde reforms and is surged into the right Scavengers lurking in the Sally zone.

Big red dice roll cold: while the Scavengers were both obliterated, the Worm Riders and Bone Giant were barely scathed, and the Spearmen survived the sweet caresses of their horde despite all expectations (horrible hits and/or junk rout test). As for the Sprites vs Spearmen, maybe a Skeleton was wounded …

Reprisal is swift on the right, with Bone Giant + surged Cavalry (to avoid behind hindered on the wall) eviscerating their Fire horde. Sprites also got poked to death (Rest In Pepperonis, lil’ dudes). On the left, the Worm Riders and Spearmen counter-charge, doing quite a bit of damage in the Worms’ case (and a token wound by the Spears). Shooting rips a few wounds into the rampaging CLOFD, but thankfully the Guardian Archers had to pivot to reorient on the action and couldn’t lend their weight.

Vibrating with fury (sorry about the pic), the Elemental line strikes back: GFE + Fire horde into the Worm Riders, Fire horde back into the Spearmen, and right Fire horde into the Cavalry (hindered sadly). The CLOFD contemplates charging into the Crossbows to shut them up, knowing their existence likely means his death … but decides that being reared by the right Spearmen would be a bad thing (ED: I actually think he could have taken it, 45 @ 5+ @ 5+ is not great, even with AA’s crazy good dice, and the CLOFD wouldn’t have been shot at all in that case). CLOFD and Ember Sprites load the Crossbowmen up with breath wounds but can’t reach their -/23 nerve.

Combat sees the Spearmen vaporized by the Fire horde, but everything else sucks. The GFE + horde combo on the Worms is a flopfest, only surpassed by the other Fire horde doing a couple wounds to the Cavalry. Bad times ahead.

The Worm Riders plow into the Fire horde that has been cuddling them, and shatters them handily. The CLOFD takes the full force of the EOD shooting, including a Cursed Priest breath attak, and is vaporized.

On the right, the Bone Giant and the disordered, hindered Cavalry go into their Fire Elementals, but can only manage a few wounds.

The Worm Riders are atomized (let’s admit: those two hindered Ember Sprites are what turned the tables).

Meanwhile, the right Fire horde is healed up and heads into the Bone Giant, but sucks it up. Oh, and the cheeky backfield Sprites flank the Crossbows and pull off the single wound they wanted

Turn 6 has arrived for the Empire of Dust. Spears back up, Crossbows counter-charge Sprites (for 1 sweet wound), Bone Giant and, after some surge to avoid the obstacle, the Calvary head back into the right Fire Elementals. Shooting removes the penultimate Fire horde, moments before the Giant and Cav beat up the last Fire Elementals but leave them clinging.

Turn 6 Sallies sees the GFE and two Sprite regiments on the left back up to consolidate their positions (a mistake, as unhurt GFE wasn’t in danger of dying, but could easily have made a Turn 7 charge into the Crossbows and ended them, along with their unit strength 3 in his quarter). The third Ember Sprites bop the Crossbowmen for another wound. On the right, the Fire Elementals slam the Bone Giant one last time, finally bash him within easy break range (16 wounds) … and roll snake eyes. Ugggggh. Their raptor Herald flings himself into the Cavalry to disorder them, but can’t roll 5+ to hit.

Turn 7 happens! Crossbows mess with their Sprites, Spearmen prepare to surge into the SW quarter but fall 1-2” short, and I’m not sure if we even rolled out the combat in the SE quarter, as EOD had 2 quarters with no way to lose them, vs the Sallies’ 1. Regardless, I extended the hand rather than take my turn, whatever was left for it.

EMPIRE OF DUST VICTORY
    Last edited by Boss Salvage; 24-03-2017, 05:48 PM.

Comment

With time to burn, Albanyadriel and I re-racked after the last match and headed back in!

BLOODFIRE GAME 3: EMPIRE OF DUST

Salamanders 2000

Fire Elemental Horde
      Fire Elemental Horde
      Fire Elemental Horde
      Fire Elemental Horde
      Ember Sprites Regiment
      Ember Sprites Regiment
      Ember Sprites Regiment
      Ember Sprites Regiment
      Greater Fire Elemental
      Greater Fire Elemental
      Herald on Raptor
      Herald on Raptor
      Mage-Priest - Heal, Surge, Banner of the Griffin
      Clan Lord on Fire Drake - Healing Brew

While elite on the CLOFD sort of helped him get work done, the heart of the army is all these -/17 hordes and -/18 monsters, which the Mage-Priest is babysitting anyway. So may as well get some synergy going on with Rally (1).

Empire of Dust 2000

Skeleton Crossbowmen Horde - Blood of the Old King
      Enslaved Guardian Archer Horde - Chant of Hate
      Swarm Regiment
      Scavenger Regiment
      Scavenger Regiment
      Skeleton Cavalry Regiment - Casket of the Damned
      Revenant Worm Riders - Dragonshard Shield
      Balefire Catapult
      Balefire Catapult
      Bone Giant
      Cursed High Priest - Fireball, Vicious, Mount
      Cursed High Priest - Fireball, Vicious, Mount

No change from last game, in which BOTOK was pretty neat when it came time for the Crossbows to go ham, vicious Guardians was ok, and the Dragonshard wasn’t used.

We chose to play another unit strength scenario, this time Dominate. Once again the EOD took first turn.

BATTLE

Lines are drawn! Swarm vanguards! Ominous killing field in the center is ominous!

EOD rolls out, and realizes how limited their shooting is at the moment, thanks to range and LOS blockers … which doesn’t stop a Catapult from pulping the leftmost Ember Sprites, and Guardian Archers from rolling out of their mind and putting 6 wounds on the left Fire Elementals. Also that Dineen photobomb :|

Fire Elementals go aggro, as is their wont, jumping on the Swarm as well as some Scavengers that thought they were safe from the right GFE (which they would have been if the GFE had to wheel to clear the tower … but this is KOW, so he just pivoted in place and zipped into them). The Swarm explodes, however the other GFE fluffs hard against the Scavengers, just doing a couple wounds. He is in A Bad Place.

[No Photo]
      EOD prepare for charges next turn - Bone Giant and Spearmen shuffling up, Cavalry moving to the right GFE’s flank - but largely just shoot all the things. Guardian Archers remove the wounded left Fire horde, Crossbows + Catapults pummel the central GFE (9 wounds).

Whether or not it was bait (the EOD may have been pulling the fire dudes’ frontage out of the woods and/or trying to garner a flank), the Fire Elementals and left GFE hammer the left Spearmen into ashes. The other GFE manages to finish his Scavengers, but can’t quite scoot far enough into the woods to hinder the pain that’s headed his way (needed 3+” got 2”). In shooting, the CLOFD and some Sprites combine to put a lot of hurt on the right Spearmen, however rolling a 5-7 rout is really difficult.

Post consolidation shot!

The Bone Giant ignores the wall of red in front of him and long bombs the (now) leftmost Sprites, while the Spearmen charge the right GFE in the front and Cavalry surge-charge his flank, happily unhindered. Shooting ends the left GFE and wavers the central Sprites. In combat, the Bone Giant manages to waver his Sprites as well, and the remaining GFE absorbs a lot of damage (11) but holds.

Finally, the left Fire horde makes it into the Guardian Archers for some sweet, sweet vengeance. Also the GFE counter-charges his Cavalry oppressors, leaving it to the CLOFD to end the Skeleton Spearmen. Spoiler: they get vomited off the table. Oh, and Snappy the Herald launches himself into a Cursed Priest - the other Herald has been babysitting that beleaguered GFE on the right. Combat is not great, with the GFE barely touching the Cav, Snappy failing to hit the Priest (5+ is legit hard), and worst of all, the left Fire horde doing so very little to the Guardians.

Having been patiently waiting, the left (and remaining) Scavengers flank the Guardian’s Fire Elementals, along with the Guardians counter-charging them; the Bone Giant charges back into the Sprites, and the Cavalry, who I really hope were at least disordered but I can’t promise that, head into the GFE. Shooting tries to put down a central Fire horde but Sprite screen is too stronk, although Snappy the Herald cops a couple wounds from Priest breath/fireball. In combat, the Fire horde takes a worrying amount of damage for dudes with no inspiring (Snappy was 7” away, as a calculated risk because I assumed Guardian death), but survives the rout. Unlike the Sprites or GFE (!), both of which are snuffed out.

Those leftmost Fire Elementals assault the Guardians again, bereft as they are with the stink of desperation. But Snappy is with them. Chompy, on the other hand, has no more purpose in life, so charges into the other Cursed Priest in the hopes of shutting down his nonsense. After pausing to have the Sprites vomit all over the Worm Riders (to no effect), Chompy misses his 5+ vs the Priest, and the Fire horde somehow manages to put good wounds on the Guardians. They need a 4 with no reroll to end these *******s and turn around. I roll a 3 and lose my cool, in a “it’s been a long day, this is game two, dice have been continually bad, and I’m very tired” sort of way.

The Bone Giant rears those unlucky Fire Elementals, and they are as dead as you think they are (27 CS3 red hot dice will do that). Also the Worm Riders finally sally forth into the red phalanx in the center, sensing the end of the game is looming. They charge some Ember Sprites, get them up to 13 wounds, and roll snake eyes! Which also helps lock out the Cavalry lurking to the right, as their charge space is fairly limited with Sprites gumming things up.

Last shot of the game! Sally Turn 5 sees the token surge play of the game for me, as a Fire horde spins and is nudged into the Scavengers back there, obliterating them, but otherwise is tightening the phalanx and coating the Worm Riders in breath attak. Also Snappy finally made it into a Catapult! And whiffed 3 times! Brutal!

EOD Turn 6 had all the deadites collapse towards the table center, along with a lot of Ember Sprite death. However at that point he wasn’t going to be able to touch my 7 unit strength in Fire hordes + CLOFD, and couldn’t get enough of his own US in there. With 1 min left before the store closed, I passed my turn without doing anything. We rolled for Turn 7 anyway and didn’t get one.

BLOODFIRE VICTORY
      Last edited by Boss Salvage; 24-03-2017, 07:06 PM.

Comment

Boss Salvage 's positioning with The CLOFD are always clutch. Won the dominate game for hum and cause unending pain in my butt in the other matches. Snappy was great too. The dancing gators are always darting between my lines. I pat mysef on the back for charging the bone giant into the sprites. Free him up for wrassling in the future that payed off in that game.

Comment

Saturday night fight with another clubmate, who has put his Varangrr aside for the time being to give his Herd another shot.

BLOODFIRE GAME 4: HERD

Salamanders 2000

Fire Elemental Horde
          Fire Elemental Horde
          Fire Elemental Horde
          Fire Elemental Horde
          Ember Sprite Regiment
          Ember Sprite Regiment
          Ember Sprite Regiment
          Ember Sprite Regiment
          Greater Fire Elemental
          Greater Fire Elemental
          Herald on Raptor
          Herald on Raptor
          Mage-Priest - Heal, Surge, Banner of the Griffin
          Clan Lord on Fire Drake - Healing Brew

Same list as last time!

Herd 2000

Spirit Walker Horde - Helm of the Ram
          Spirit Walker Horde - Brew of Haste
          Stampede Horde - Blood of the Old King
          Lycan Horde - Brew of Strength
          Tribal Chariot Regiment
          Beast Pack Troop
          Harpy Troop
          Chimera - Wings
          Shaman - Heal
          Shaman - Heal
          Lycan Alpha - Healing Brew

Solid troops with smart items, especially BOTOK (which was made for Stampedes) and Helm of the Ram (which feels particularly nice on beastmans). Chuffed to see chariots on the table, and impressed by the stats on Tribal Chariots in particular.

We chose to play Scour (5), as we'’ll be playing it at the Unplugged GT at the end of April, and I’'ve never played it. Herd won the initiative and took it. (Apologies for so many blurry shots - I was impatient and didn'’t let my phone accommodate for the lower light.)

BATTLE

The Herd rolls out! L2R = Alpha, Lycans, Spirit Walkers (+1Sp) + Beast Pack, Stampede, Spirit Walkers (+1TC) + Harpies, Chariots, Chimera

The thick red line bows forward! And the Harpies die to Ember Sprite + CLOFD breath, for first blood.

Lycans and their Alpha get the party started properly by slamming into the leftmost Fire Elemental horde, which holds despite 13 wounds. Meanwhile the Beast Pack disorders some Sprites and the Tribal Chariots plink a wound off the rightmost Fire horde.

Fiery blood things go aggro, with the left Fire horde + flank-surged GFE charging the Lycan, Beast Pack being mobbed by a Fire horde + Sprites, and Stampede getting suicide-charged by yet more Fire Elementals (through a pond no less :P). Red dudes on the right prepare to receive Chariots + Chimera, and CLOFD + Sprite screen position to vomit on Spirit Walkers.

The Lycan are burnt to cinders, the Stampede gently tickled (5 wounds?) but at least disordered, and the right Spirit Walkers take breath wounds but can'’t be wavered anyway. Oh, Beast Pack is turned into mist.

Terrible overview shot is terrible. TL;DR: Lots of charging, including Chariots + Chimera into right Fire horde (fire dudes hold, spoiler).

The sacrificial Fire horde receives its comeuppance. Also those TC(2) Spirit Walkers are healed some.

GFE face-tanks the other Spirit Walkers (who are bane-chanted), as the wounded Fire horde prepares to be ended by the Alpha.

Yep: GFE holds with negligible damage, while the Fire horde poofs.

HOWEVER the overextended Fire horde takes 31 wounds (!) and sticks on snake eyes (!!)

Vengeance! Haste Spirit Walkers are flanked by a Fire horde, Lycan Alpha is surge-charged by reforming GFE, Ram Spirit Walkers are counter-charged by the miraculously still burning Fire horde in the center + flank-charged by a GFE, and the Tribal Chariots are counter-charged by the right Fire horde.

Combats are a mixed bag after dice happen. The Ram Walkers and Tribal Chariots die in a literal fire, moments after the Stampede receive some sweet breath loving from Sprites + CLOFD. On the other hand, the Haste Walkers soak up 10 wounds from the flanking Fire horde (of 15 anticipated) and don’t care, and the GFE thumps the Alpha up to 7 wounds but it doesn'’t care either. Butts.

The Herd retaliates: Stampede into their rapidly dissipating Fire horde, Chimera into gently battered right Fire horde, and Haste Walkers into Mage-Priest on the way into rearing the GFE. I lament being stupid and putting her in harm’s way, as she had no business wandering into that spot … Also the Alpha shoots out to be a pain in the rear / flank next turn, regening or healing back to 1 or 2 wounds.

Boom! The Stampede gets their Fire horde up to 43 wounds, exploding them back to the Blood Fire Land Place from whence they came.

The Mage-Priest doesn'’t manage to hold the Haste Walkers, who carry on into the GFE …...

...… and tear him down too. Sad times. (Also: the Chimera managed 3 more wounds on the right Fire horde, but 9 wounds wasn'’t enough to rout them.)

Fire hordes go into the Haste Walkers (wounds happen (up to 15) but not enough to rout that -/23) and the Chimera (it gets beat up (up to 9?) and is wavered). The Stampede is bathed in 34 breath attaks, most of them with vicious, and is also wavered!

Turn 5 arrives! The left Fire horde gets sandwiched between mountains of attaks, and is dispersed handily as their Herald Chompy watches in dismay. The Haste Walkers are healed down to 12 as well.

Also the Chimera backs up, simply to pull its Fire Elementals away from markers.

The last of the Fire Elementals power back into the Chimera, as various red things make sure they'’re within 3” of markers and prepare to unleash hot breath attak action upon goat / pig / wolf dudes. And Chompy blocks the Haste Walkers in case they survive the incoming torrent.

Lol, nope D: The Haste Walkers evaporate under the CLOFD + impressive rout dice, the Stampede becomes delicious pork roast thanks to Ember Sprites + GFE breath, and the Chimera likewise is fricasseed courtesy the Fire horde. And the left Shaman took an unexpected number of wounds from the leftmost Sprites.

Turn 6 desperation! The smoldering Shaman wavers some Ember Sprites! The other Shaman disorders some other Sprites! The Lycan Alpha tackles the Clan Lord for a few wounds!

Clash of the Titans! The Clan Lord goes ham and tears the head off the Alpha (or maybe it just wavered him, I can’t remember - regardless legit pile of wounds from the CLOFD). Chompy tackles the left Shaman and whiffs, and the other Shaman may or may not have vanished under 12 breath attaks. Regardless, no Turn 7 and Salamanders sit on a lot of markers.

BLOODFIRE VICTORY
          Last edited by Boss Salvage; 27-03-2017, 03:09 PM.

Comment

Great reports! That is a really nice thematic army, amazing!

It's always nice to see more salamanders battle reports out there.
            Tales of a Stranded Ghekkotah

KoW Painting Blog

Comment

El_Guardian - Thanks for the kind words! Glad you're enjoying these. I actually feel like most of the written reports I run into are Salamanders or Elves ... but then there aren't too many of us writing these things these days :'(

Albanyadriel - You know, the CLOFD is working out much better than I expected him to, especially when I keep him with his dudes and don't go ham. Still playing around with what item to give him, but I'll likely go with Banner of the Griffon like the other few CLOFD I've seen, partially to trick me into keeping him with his dudes, but also because he's big and important so rallying just makes sense!

Comment

Banner of the Griffin is great and a good option to consider. He holds his own so well and the breath attack does damage. Bonus point: he threatens flanks well when you keep him next to a horde of bloodfirementals.

Comment

Originally posted by Boss Salvage View Post
                  Thanks for the kind words! Glad you're enjoying these. I actually feel like most of the written reports I run into are Salamanders or Elves ... but then there aren't too many of us writing these things these days :'(
                  Yeah, I might me guilty of writing nothing but Salamanders reports. I will admit there are not a lot of people doing them this days, everyone has gone into the Youtube madness which is good but I prefer written reports as I can read them while going to work.

On the subject of the CLOFD I too prefer the Banner of the Griffin, it is such a nice item for him to have.

Tales of a Stranded Ghekkotah

KoW Painting Blog

Comment

Originally posted by El_Guardian View Post
                    On the subject of the CLOFD I too prefer the Banner of the Griffin, it is such a nice item for him to have.
                    I do think BOTG is the answer, though I keep considering putting something killy on him. Blessing of the Gods I dig because cheapish and benefits both shooting and melee, but Albanyadriel likes to point out how little you get with Elite - "That's just like 1 extra hit" (with 4+ breath, not much different with 5+). Still, I like rerolls in general. I'm also tempted to plonk for Piercing (1) on the big dude, which I think I saw somebody doing once. For when that 16 breath starts hitting and can't stop.

But in reality, BOTG or Healing Brew are probably the best answers. Keeps the dude versatile and with his dudes, rather than rampaging off in kill mode (which doesn't work great for him).

Comment

Boss Salvage I'd also consider the Healing Brew heavily, constantly keeps your points on the board. With a high nerve, they stick around.

Comment

Originally posted by Albanyadriel View Post
                        Boss Salvage I'd also consider the Healing Brew heavily, constantly keeps your points on the board. With a high nerve, they stick around.
                        It's totally a points thing. If there's just 5 points, big boy gets the Brew. If more than that, BOTG with a side of temptation to give him something grander instead :P

Comment

And we’re back with another edition of Tuesday Night Fights! My club is headed to the Unplugged GT in Hartford, CT next weekend with lists due this Friday, so this was very much a list testing affair. Also minor celebration for reaching 2000 painted points! Not bad for just about 3 months’ work from start to finish.

BLOODFIRE GAME 5: VARANGUR + HERD

Salamanders 2000

Fire Elemental Horde
                          Fire Elemental Horde
                          Fire Elemental Horde
                          Fire Elemental Horde
                          Ember Sprites Regiment
                          Ember Sprites Regiment
                          Ember Sprites Regiment
                          Greater Fire Elemental
                          Greater Fire Elemental
                          Herald on Raptor - Diadem of Dragonkind
                          Herald on Raptor - Healing Charm
                          Mage-Priest - Surge, Heal, Shroud of the Saint (+2 Heal)
                          Clan Lord on Fire Drake - Banner of the Griffin

Dropped the fourth Sprites to afford some items on the heroes, particularly the Heralds, who didn’t seem to do much beyond stand near things, fail to disorder shooters, and valiantly delay terrible things.

Varangur + Herd 2000

Bloodsworn Regiment - Gift(Brutal), Healing Brew
                          Sons of Korgaan Regiment - Gift(Brutal), Blood of the Old King
                          Cave Troll Regiment
                          The Fallen Horde - Brew of Strength
                          Mounted Sons of Korgaan Regiment - Gift(Brutal), Brew of Haste
                          Horse Raider Troop - bows
                          Skald - Banner of the Griffin
                          Herja of the Fallen
                          +
                          Spirit Walker Regiment
                          Stampede Horde
                          Tribal Totem Bearer on Mount

#BRUTAL (he had wanted to bring Herd to Unplugged but wasn’t going to be able to get everything repainted in time, so took the best the Herd had to offer and combined with alot of nasty from the Varangrr side of the chaos coin)

We played Push, a scenario I’ve read about often in batreps but never played myself. Rolled up 3 tokens, which went on both GFE and rightmost FE for me, and Spirit Walkers, Bloodsworn and foot Sons for him (i.e. the already slow things).

BATTLE

Battlelines! He won and took first, making this match extra rough for my slow, red butt.

New Mage-Priest to finish the first 2k off <3

Chaos dudes shove forward, with very fast right flank being particularly intimidating. The Horse Raiders on the left land a wound on the left Sprites and get a lucky early waver. Redementals respond by bowing their line out around the tower, being extremely cautious on the right.

Chaos inches their grindy center forward, idles the fast flanks, and lands a few wounds on the central Sprites (who are unphased). In return the red tide shuffles its breath weapons / fireballs into range, roasting the Spirit Walkers to death and lightly singing the Trolls.

Fwooosh!

As anticipated, Chaos brings it, especially on the left. Ember Sprites cop charges from the Raiders, Bloodsword and Trolls, as the Stampede bears down on the left GFE.

It’s a bounce across the line, as Sprites take wounds and either waver or don’t care (take that Trolls!), and the GFE absorbs 11 wounds but holds firm.

The GFE counter-charges the Stampede (for 3 wounds, managing to disorder it) on the left, while the right wing gently shuffles and hits the Trolls with 22 breath attaks, for no appreciable impact (these Trolls regenerated like bosses throughout the game). Although the Diadem gator fluffed against the Horse Raiders, the Mage-Priest put the Shroud to work and healed 4 wounds off of the GFE struggling against a horde of angry pigs.

Chaos finishes what it started on the left, routing both Sprites and the GFE, and leaving that flank feeling pretty dire.

Meanwhile the right flank finally starts cooking, with Herja and her Fallen slamming into the waiting FE horde, as Trolls head back into their Sprites.

Though the Sprites are wavered, the FE hold the line with 10 wounds.

After a heavy think, the Redementals see what they can salvage: FE counter-charge the Fallen with a second FE horde surged into Herja, with half a hope of pulping her and flanking in to support; as the left FE trundle into the Bloodsworn and their Diadem Herald diverts the impending Stampede. The Trolls receive another 22 breath attaks, finally wavering. It should be noted at this point that the Rally(1) Skald has been hiding behind the tower, buffing up the Bloodsworn and Trolls the whole game, and will continue to do so.

All of those combats bounce, although the Fallen are wavered.

The Stampede plows into the Diadem Herald, the Bloodsworn counter-charge their FE horde, and Herja charges the wounded right FE horde, who are no longer benefitting from that little smidge of woods they were keeping between them and Varangur death. The rest of the Chaos dudes smash forward, making sure they’re on the red side of the board. Also the foot Sons pick up the central Push marker.

It’s super effective! Herald dies, Bloodsworn bop some bloodfire dudes, and Herja dissolves some other bloodfire dudes.

Sallies continue the late game panic with more desperation plays: left FE horde corkscrews into the Stampede (calculating that a flank from the Bloodsworn is only about 6 wounds), the Push FE charge Herja, and more FE flank the Fallen. The CLOFD and the Mage-Priest hit the Bloodsworn with 26 elite or vicious shots but can’t waver them (though they get close).

Herja is a rock, Stampede are wavered (and *just* fall short of routing), and the Fallen are obliterated.

Turn 6! The Bloodsworn flank the left Fire horde, the Horse Raiders crash through a hedge and charge the Mage-Priest, the Trolls head back into the Sprite roadblock, the Mounted Sons slam the Fallen-killing Fire horde, and Herja jumps into their flank as well. The Mage-Priest takes a single wound, disordering her (all according to plan), and everybody else dies. It helped that the flanking Bloodsworn rolled hot on wounding and routing.

Redementals don’t have a lot going for them right now, but there’s always vengeance, and Turn 7! The CLOFD dances through the gap between Bloodsworn and Raiders and punches the Stampede, ending its reign of terror. Herja is similarly finally put down by angry bloodfire things, although the pesky Trolls are left alone, to continue clogging the center in case it matters.

Spoiler: it doesn’t. The game ends here, Varangur come away with 6 points to Bloodfire’s 3.

BLOODFIRE LOSS
                          Last edited by Boss Salvage; 12-04-2017, 03:39 PM.

Comment

Boss Savage all of you burning of forest has garnered the ire of the Green Lady. Although she is otherwise engaged helping the Elves. She has charged me to bring your reign of conflagration to an end. The Cleansing Fire has its place in the cycle of rebirth and renewal however; your torrid chaos has grown out of Control. See you game one this weekend. I hear the Thunderstorms are expected with some Lightning Bolts of course.

Great List. Looking forward to testing my Forces of Nature out. Thanks for the bat-reps .

Comment

Originally posted by PhiNelson View Post
                              See you game one this weekend.
                              Oh yea?? Sweet dude, you're on

Also guessing maybe I should listen to the UGT podcast

Comment

Working...
                              X