• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Swordmaster of Hoeth View Post
    Hi guys,

Here is the link to the third game of the tournament:

Game 63 - Undead - 2017/11/05

Thanks!
    That was an interesting game. It just shows that you do not need to have big dead piles to have a tense and exciting battle. Well played - you must have been pleased to see your gamble in seizing the middle token pay off. And thanks for restoring my record as a pundit! Your ASB did well to survive 2 rounds of combat against the Revenant Cavalry, and the Sliver Breeze even better to survive the combined charge of Wraiths and Soul Reavers. Did Chris's dice let him down badly in those combats?

Comment

• Hi guys!

Thanks for your comments!

Greybeard

It is nice to surprise in this way sometimes Certainly better than to disappoint when you predicted the victory and I would fail to achieve that goal! I am very happy I pulled out the win in the 3rd game as I seem to have trouble with Undead in general and Chris already knows my tricks. Game 2 turned out to be more decisive victory than anybody anticipated but it was a good example that my army can hit hard if you let it.

Edzig

I was indeed very happy about that gamble because I decided to do so during the game when I saw my shooting does nothing and I cannot maneuver into good position either. I really like that flexibility in the army to be able to switch between defense and attacking mode whenever it is more viable.

I think my Army Standards are already universally hated In the first turn of melee Revenant Cavalry didn't do well with "to hit" rolls and with few points of damage AB had a good chance to hold the line (especially with the re-roll). Wraiths probably failed to do much either. The combination of less damage than expected and low nerve roll (with the assistance of that annoying AB!) helped Silver Breeze to stay one more turn longer.

That was a bit desperate to throw units under the bus like that and is not my favorite approach but sometimes the situation calls for desperate measures and this time it paid off. War Chariots and Silver Breeze are already commemorated as heroes!

Cheers!
      Originally posted by Cornwall
      Swordsmaster could try taking less units

Comment

• Hi guys!

Here is the link to the most recent battle report from the game 4 of Valley of Kings 4 tournament:

Game 64 - Night Stalkers - 2017/11/08

Thanks!

Comment

• Another win! You are on a roll - well played. That ended up closer than I expected, though. As you say, you got a bit greedy in the last turn and almost paid a high price. Not that things would have got worse for you if there had been a 7th turn. A couple of things that I couldn't quite follow from the maps and your write up:

Did your chariots fail to put a single point of damage on the Phantoms in your turn 6? It looks like that must have been the case, or else he wouldn't have been able to fly them away and onto the flank of the Palace Guard. That was a bit unlucky. And how could the Horror Surge them in when he had just taken a point of damage from the Drakon Rider Lord in your turn. Shouldn't he have been disordered?

Also, what was your plan with the Drakon Rider Lord in turn 4? It looks like you'd gone to all the trouble to fly him right round the back of the enemy, but then moved him forward to a place where he could not attack any enemy unit in flank or rear. And then moved him back again in turn 5 before finally getting him into combat on turn 6.

Comment

• Edzig

Thank you for the kind words and apologies for lack of clarity in the maps as well as not sufficient explanation.

Yes, during the second attack the Chariots failed to inflict damage and Phantoms were ready to fly again. As to the Horror I actually noticed the same while writing the report but can't recall if I failed to wound it either or did we simply forgot it is disordered. That is an important thing to watch out for as it is viable approach to attack wizards simply to prevent them from casting their spells

I also need to admit I kept changing my mind about the Drakon Lord too often. I think I should have maneuvered a bit better and keep him in the position where he can constantly threaten the enemy with the charge. The initial move in the second turn was to be further than 12" away from Nightmares so that they don't benefit from Mindthirst. But after that I simply didn't use him well at all.

Comment

• Best battle reports around, you really give good insight into your thinking which helps the less tactically gifted to understand why you do things and when things are appropriate. and also when you flub it, that helps a lot.
              I've taken patience from these, i tend to be very aggressive in gameplay and it often backfires.

Comment

• The_Bag

Thank you! I appreciate your kind words and I am glad you like my reports!

However, I don't think I am more gifted or that the others are less. I must say that one of the reasons I started writing the battle reports is to get better. I don't have that much time to play games often and I didn't have that many opportunities to do so before. It is much better now thanks to the local tournament/game nights organizers but time is still a luxury. It was thus more viable to try and learn from my own mistakes by reflecting upon the battles in hope that I will not make the same mistake again.

Hence the attempt to write about what I thought was a good idea at a time and some after-battle thoughts when I try to think about the consequences and other options. I found that I often can see them only when I create the diagrams and I spotted missed opportunities almost in every battle report! It is great to know that other players can take something valuable from these musings and that they can learn from my mistakes

Patience is important and so is the right timing. It is a great skill to have and I believe that it helps me that I play with the same or very similar army to be a bit better at judging when it is a good time to attack and when to defend or keep maneuvering.

Thanks!

Comment

• Hello!

Here is the link to the last report from Valley of Kins 4 tournament:

Game 65 - Elves - 2017/11/11

Cheers!

Comment

• Hello!

Here is the link to of a summary of ValleyOfKings4 tournament experiences:

The Valley of Kings 4 - Summary

Many thanks to Matt for organizing, ThreeD6 for hosting and Mark, Damian, Chris, Sean and Craig for fantastic games!

Comment

• Congratulations on coming first and winning every game! I underestimated you in my predictions. It seems that MSU adapted better to the smaller points level than armies that relied on heavy hitters. Either that or you were just on fire that day!

Comment

• Edzig

Thank you! I am obviously extremely happy to win my very first KoW tournament and I have never had such a luck to win all of my games in a row. That in itself is a great achievement for me. I think there are many factors that always contribute to the overall success and luck on the day was definitely important. I do hope, however, that all these games before helped me to get a bit better too.

I don't think you underestimated me in your predictions, you know me very well as a player, an opponent and you know the way I play too. Your predictions were based on good foundations so I am glad I did better

I definitely will need to utilize all the skills I have to the maximum and hope for a bit of a smile of fortune during the upcoming Masters

Thanks!

Comment

• Well, congratulations on the clean sweep. Seems I underestimated your shooting again, that it was sufficient to wear down one of the big units changed the situation a lot, and the Elohi proved easier to handle than I expected. Played a few games of Eliminate, and it's certainly one of the more awkward scenarios-I still haven't worked out if its better to have the tokens on big expensive units or small ones. The large units are generally harder to kill, but it's also a big handicap to keep them out of danger and, therefore, out of the fight.

Comment

• Yes, well done on an outstanding tournament result. I think your army adapted considerably better to 1200 than some of the other armies, and you used it very effectively to get the scenario points

Comment

• Greybeard

Thank you!

Shooting is an important element of my army but as you could see in this tournament it can do something significant but as well can be rendered useless (see game 3 for the best example). What I found interesting, however, is that it still makes people unsure how to deal with my army. And one round of above average shooting may throw them out of balance. It is thus important for me to be ready when they decide to change the plan or make a rushed decision.

On the other hand, if given the opportunity, the shooters can do damage to the enemy units on their own. It may take time but if not limited or eliminated - it will add to the damage and it will eventually reach the breaking point.

I found Eliminate quite tricky because you have to allocate the tokens to the most expensive units. In my case it was all Drakon Riders so the fastest and hardest hitting elements of the army that often are in the thick of the battle. I believe it made me and my opponent quite shy and careful to commit to any combats. And this is where the psychological effect of the ranged attacks came to effect

Comment

• Hello!

Here is the link to the most recent battle report. Elves vs Romans!

Game 66 - Romans - 2017/11/18

Many thanks to Glen for a fantastic game!

Thanks!

Comment

Working...
                                X