2000 Points Ragnarok

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2000 Points Ragnarok

I have a ton of metal Black Tree Saxons for SAGA, plus a really nice giant wolf and frost giant. Add a plastic toy snake, and to me that says... RAGNAROK!
    • Thralls Regiment x3 (36 Geburs)
    • Warband Horde x2 (48 Ceorls)
    • Bloodsworn Horde x1 (24 Thegns)
    • Sons of Korgaan Troop, Two-handed weapons x1 (6 Aesir)
    • Horse Raiders Troop x1 (5 Horsemen)
    • Devourer + Breath Attack x1 (Jörmungandr, the Midgard Serpent)
    • Cavern Dweller x1 (Laufey, the Frost Giant)
    • Jabberwock x1 (Fenrir, the Fenris Wolf)
    • Chieftain, Wings of Honeymaze (Thunor / Thor)
    • Magus, Bane Chant, Inspiring Talisman (Woden / Odin)
    • Skald (Frigg)
    14 deployment drops, which I reckon is actually pretty good for Varangur, considering I have three enormous monsters.

In a straight-up game, I think I'd keep the three anvil hordes together, each screened by a regiment of thralls. Sons smash anything the hordes don't kill, then Odin and Frigg plink away at them until they flee. If there are objectives to take, the hordes and regiments could split three ways.

The three monsters would probably operate independently: Jörmungandr the Devourer sniping from the forests; Laufey the Cavern Dweller striding over the built-up areas; and Fenrir the Jabberwock scavenging anything they wound.

Thor flies around wherever Inspiring is needed, oiling his muscles and smashing any war engines.

Any objections?
    Last edited by warlockfiretopmountain; 05-04-2017, 10:51 AM.

The concept is fun as hell (sorry, "hel" )

I was going to say that I find your lack of Loki disturbing, but if it's Ragnarok, then it make senses somewhat for him not to be there.

Now you have to find the appropriate opponents, maybe an ogre army led by Surtur the Fire Giant ? ^_^

Comment

too bad you can't give thor the flying hammer on top of the wings
      very nice, i love themed armies!

Comment

Originally posted by pappynator View Post
        too bad you can't give thor the flying hammer on top of the wings!
        Believe me, I tried!

Comment

Originally posted by jtrowell View Post
          The concept is fun as hell (sorry, "hel" )

I was going to say that I find your lack of Loki disturbing, but if it's Ragnarok, then it make senses somewhat for him not to be there.

Now you have to find the appropriate opponents, maybe an ogre army led by Surtur the Fire Giant ? ^_^
          I've been kicking around this list's theme for a couple of years, but have always had something of a problem with the Aesir teaming up Loki's monstrous family. To do the theme justice, I should really have two armies: Aesir, Valkyries and Einherjar on one side; versus Loki, his monstrous family, and a load of draugr or something.

Plus, the Einherjar should be the greatest human warriors to die in battle, hand-picked by Odin and Frigg. My troopers are Anglo-Saxons: more interested in sitting down with a cup of tea and a good book of psalms, rather than seeking a glorious death in pointless slaughter.

You've given me a great idea.

Swap out Thor (Chieftain) and Frigg (Skald) for Hel (Herja of the Fallen); and swap Odin for Loki (Magus + Bane Chant + Inspiring). The humans become Hel's dead: milk-drinking Anglo-Saxons who died of old age and too much kneeling.

Odin and the Aesir can then lead their Vikings against their natural enemies: Loki, his Children, and the weedy farmers who died in their beds.

Comment

Holy mackerel. I've just had a thought. Ragnarok can be seen as representing the end of the pagan world, so it would make perfect sense for the traditional enemies (Loki, Hel, Serpents and Wolves and Frost Giants) to be backed up by Christian Anglo Saxons. Loki/Satan defeating the old gods, and using Christians to do it.

Oh, and Laufey needs to change to Hrym, leader of the Frost Giants at Ragnarok.
            Last edited by warlockfiretopmountain; 05-04-2017, 01:07 PM.

Comment

Nice ideas !

Comment

OK...

VARANGAROK
                • Warband Horde (24 Ceorls)
                • Warband Horde (24 Ceorls)
                • Bloodsworn Horde (24 Thegns)
                • Sons of Korgaan Troop, Two-handed weapons, Headstrong & Fury (6 Aesir)
                • Devourer, Breath Attack (Jörmungandr, the Midgard Serpent)
                • Cavern Dweller (Hrym, the Frost Giant)
                • Jabberwock (Fenrir, the Fenris Wolf)
                • Magus, Bane Chant, Famulus, Inspiring Talisman (Woden)
                • Skald, Fire-Oil (Loki)
                • Herja of the Fallen (Thunor)
                That leaves me 250 points to spend on a couple of the following:
                • Thralls Regiment x2 (12 Monks and Geburs x2)
                • Night Raiders Troop x2 (6 Archers x2)
                • Horse Raiders Troop (5 Horsemen)
                • Tundra Wolves Troop (5 Woden's Wolves)
                • Magus Conclave, Famulus (3 Norns)
                All of which will be joining the fight at 2500 points.

Q1: Would you say that any of these add-on units are strictly better or worse than the others? I'm happy enough to swap them in depending on opponent, but it would be nice to have an all-comers tournament list.

Q2: Generally, what do you think of my list? Is it too Monster heavy? Too elite, at around 12 units?
                Last edited by warlockfiretopmountain; 10-04-2017, 09:32 AM.

Comment

I forgot to add a fluffy point. Every human model has a label on its base, bearing the name of an Anglo-Saxon king. Together the army represents the combined regnal lists of Wessex, Mercia and East Anglia. So pretty much every model is a descendent of Woden! And a King of War to boot... except perhaps Aethelred.

Comment

The new Thor: Ragnarok trailer has confirmed that I'm on the right lines here! Nur nur nur nur nur, nur nur nur nur nur nur, ah ah ah, aaah. Ah ah ah, aaah. etc. https://youtu.be/v7MGUNV8MxU

I've swapped the Sons of Korgaan for Fallen, and reduced the Warband from Hordes to Regiments, so I can afford Horse Raiders and Tundra Wolves to screen them. Also bought my Skald a mount, so they have a source of inspiration.

VARANGAROK 2000
                    • Tundra Wolves Troop (5 Wolves)
                    • The Fallen Regiment (3 Aesir)
                    • Herja of the Fallen (Thunor)
                    • Horse Raiders Troop (5 Horsemen)
                    • The Fallen Regiment (3 Vanir)
                    • Skald, Mounted (Frige)
                    • Cavern Dweller (Skrżmir, the Frost Giant)
                    • Warband Regiment (12 Ceorls)
                    • Warband Regiment (12 Ceorls)
                    • Bloodsworn Horde, Headstrong & Fury (24 Thegns)
                    • Magus, Bane Chant, Famulus, Inspiring Talisman (Woden)

At 2500 points, I'd upgrade both Warband Regiments to Hordes; and add 3x Magus Conclave with Famulus, representing the three Norns. That would leave 30pts to give a Healing Charm to the mounted Skald; or perhaps more fluffily, include the Scrying Gem as the head of Mimir: probably guarded by the Bloodsworn.
                    Last edited by warlockfiretopmountain; 16-04-2017, 09:04 PM.

Comment

OK...

VARANGAROK 2000

Centre
                      • Warband Horde (24 Einherjar Warriors)
                      • Bloodsworn Horde (24 Einherjar Huscarls)
                      • Magus, Bane Chant, Elite, Inspiring Talisman (Odin)
                      Cavalry Flank
                      • Tundra Wolves Troop (Geri's Pack)
                      • Fallen Horde (6 Aesir)
                      • King on Chimera, Headstrong and Fury (Thor)
                      Monster Flank
                      • Cavern Dweller (Hrim, the Frost Giant)
                      • Herja of the Fallen (Frigg)

VARANGAROK 2500
                      • Thralls Regiment (12 Einherjar Peasants)
                      • Thralls Regiment (12 Einherjar Peasants)
                      ​​​​​
                      • Magus Conclave, Elite (Uršr)
                      • Magus Conclave, Elite (Veršandi)
                      • Magus Conclave, Elite (Skuld)
                      • Headstrong & Fury on Bloodsworn Horde
                      • Headstrong & Fury on King on Chimera

VARANGAROK 3000
                      • Night Raiders Troop (8 Einherjar Hunters)
                      • Night Raiders Troop (8 Einherjar Hunters)
                      • Reavers Troop (8 Shieldmaiden Berserkers)
                      • Tundra Wolves Troop (Freki's Pack)
                      Last edited by warlockfiretopmountain; 19-04-2017, 02:58 PM.

Comment

This is amazing. NEED pics.

Comment

Originally posted by DarkBlack View Post
                          This is amazing. NEED pics.
                          Ha ha! Currently in various stages of construction. Warband Horde and Night Raiders Troops are finished though: they're my SAGA army! Will try and remember to take some photos this weekend.

Comment

Hmm... COK rules let me downgrade my expensive Magus, to a Skald with the Lute of Bane Chant.

That lets me split my Warband Horde into two regiments, and give the King on Chimera Headstrong, Fury and Fire-Oil.

Which is nice.

Comment

Originally posted by warlockfiretopmountain View Post
                              Hmm... COK rules let me downgrade my expensive Magus, to a Skald with the Lute of Bane Chant.

That lets me split my Warband Horde into two regiments, and give the King on Chimera Headstrong, Fury and Fire-Oil.

Which is nice.
                              I find I don't really use bane chant, most things have CS, so the lightning is more useful.

Comment

Working...
                              X