Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bloodworm Legion Spam

Hi,

I want to do a gimmick army, and was looking for input. IF you have any experience with legions or suggestions please let me know what you think.

Legion Bloodworms-290
    Legion Bloodworms-290
    Legion Bloodworms-290
    Legion Bloodworms-290
    Legion Bloodworms-290
    Portal of Despair-80
    Horror-105
    -Bane Chant (2)
    Horror-105
    -Bane Chant (2)
    Void Lurker-260

The main trust of the army is to bane chant the legions and double charge units. Having stealthy keeps them from being shot at a distance and therefore having to suffer a lot of wounds in combat. The Portal of Despair helps for breaking enemies around objectives and the Void Lurker Stays back to counter charge units going for the back line.

Thoughts?

~AA

YUSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS

I still kind of dislike the Portal (and similar terrain war engines), however reading how Advanced Deployment works I can see some cheeky LOS and battlefield control options, in addition to the (IMO) few benefits it provides in its rules. I tend to think of these types of units as speed boosters for the enemy, especially shamblers, as they can just charge it to move up the field, however -/18 D5 is pretty tough, and maneuvering off of a 75mm base to charge something else isn't the easiest (corkscrew notwithstanding). I have to imagine a LOT of the usefulness of the thing comes down to smart and/or cheeky placement. Like all of the usefulness (which seems really obvious to say).

Anyway, there also isn't anything to replace it with, besides a bunch of items (not a terrible idea given that the Portal isn't even drawing drops) or an allied unit, so shrug? Very cool modeling prospect too - maybe the hideous egg spire or spore chimney that birthed all these worms?

That comment on FB about using The Dream Hunter instead of the Void Lurker got me tinkering, as that swap and dropping the Portal frees up 140 points to play with. However I don't think the Hunter stacks up to the Lurker at all if counter-charge / reaching out and hurting somebody is the concept. That said the synergy is nice, the Hunter isn't useless (disorderer, backfield hunter, combo-charger) and you could do a solid second list that swaps the Lurker + Portal for Hunter + X, in case you want to mix things up.

EDIT: Fakk me, enemies triple attaks against the Portal, don't they? Yea, that's not going to keep it around long ...
    Last edited by Boss Salvage; 19-05-2017, 05:44 PM.
    BLOODFIRE :: Salamander Battle Reports
    NURGLEKIN :: Ratkin Battle Reports
    INSTAGRAM :: boss_salvage

Comment

Yeah, You got me thinking of swapping it out. I may for the treble attacks and that it could just plain get in the way. Perhaps a pathfinder/nimble magic item unit. Alternatively take 2 dread fiends. instead, divides up the punch and nimble with sp 8.....

So the list would look like:
      Legion Bloodworms-290
      Legion Bloodworms-290
      Legion Bloodworms-290
      Legion Bloodworms-290
      Legion Bloodworms-290
      -Healing Brew
      Screamer-115
      Screamer-115
      Horror-105
      -Bane Chant (2)
      Horror-105
      -Bane Chant (2)
      Horror-105
      -Bane Chant (2)

Adding another horror means more BC. and the screamers give me a bit of range, The Healing brew adds a teeny bit of survivability.

Last edited by Albanyadriel; 19-05-2017, 07:05 PM.

Comment

I like the double Dread Fiends. Not as threatening as the Void Lurker, but if support is the name of the game they can certainly be on hand for that, especially with nimble - also they both score if unit strength is happening. Plus that leaves 100 points for tasty upgrades (or the Portal + 20 pts (Hammer of Measured Force?!))

EDIT: On your list, I can dig that it's admitting the legions are really the point. I can't decide if Screamers are good? I've rarely heard of them being fielded (because Mind Screech's exist), and no Inspiring makes them pretty popable, but lightning is nice, especially 10 shots of it. Really too bad the Horror base spell is surge, as it means they'll mostly be fishing for double successes to boost Screamers, until the Worms close ... which I suppose isn't too bad? I do think I'd go Fire Oil over the Healing Brew, given how huge a boost the former does for a legion compared to the latter, even if the brew is always a thing.
        Last edited by Boss Salvage; 19-05-2017, 07:10 PM.

Comment

Legion Bloodworms-290
          -Blood of the Old King
          Legion Bloodworms-290
          -Potion of the Caterpillar
          Legion Bloodworms-290
          -Brew of Strength
          Legion Bloodworms-290
          -Helm of the Ram
          Legion Bloodworms-290
          Horror-105
          -Bane Chant (2)
          Horror-105
          -Bane Chant (2)
          Dread Fiend-140
          -Lute of Insatiable Darkness
          Dread Fiend-120

Mainly gave the units weapons. and added back in the Dreadfiends.

Comment

The HOMF is like made for legions, I'd probably swap the Lute for Hammer on those unequipped Worms. Then all the Worms have toys and can play the counter-deployment game! And both Fiends can focus on punching things, as is their want.

Comment

Seems like a plan for those guys. I'll have to test it out against Bloodfire!

Comment

I have serious doubts that I can chew through that much worm :|

Comment

Let us know how you get on with it

I think people seriously undervalue sheer nerve and basic infantry. There's only so much nerve you can chew through and even with *only* 40 attacks, they'll make a mess of a lot of things they hit!

Comment

I am curious about how the legions will work when there is a staggered battle line, makes double charges easy but tough to keep my own flanks protected with such big units

Comment

As a NS player who uses a bloodworm legion and portal of despair, I'd say you'll be really disappointed in how all of those work together. The portal works great especially when coupled with a brutal unit. I deployed it behind H4 items in the middle of the board that helped provide control. I've only had it charged three times in 16 games, and only lost it once. It's not a high priority target if you have bigger threats. I watched my legion get melted three times this weekend by double shooting, double fireball/flame cannon, lightning bolts and then bloodboil. They're too slow by themselves and lack the ability to force anyone into combat

Comment

Considering you are already taking a few horrors which have surge it seems like you would be better off changing a few of your legions into scarecrows.

This will at least give you a chance to protect your flanks and rear using surge.

Comment

I have so far only used one legion of Bloodworms in my Night stalker army, and I haven't got a huge amount of experience with it yet. But I find a single one is hard to maneuver, and can't even imagine how hard it would be with five of them.

Comment

Little Bit of work on the Bloodworm Legion Spam list with a new revised list. There will be a lot of terrain on the bases as this will be a modeling project designed around the multibase and playing around with it.

The current List:
                            Legion Bloodworm
                            Legion Bloodworm
                            Legion Bloodworm
                            Legion Bloodworm
                            Regiment Needle Fangs
                            Regiment Shadowhounds
                            Regiment Shadowhounds
                            Horror
                            -Bane Chant
                            Dread-Fiend
                            -Sparkstone