Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Skeleton Warriors or Archers? Or Swarms?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Skeleton Warriors or Archers? Or Swarms?

I need your advice, fellow pharaohs.

I am planning to use some infantry troops as a cheap and disposable front line to help the big hitters behind get first charge, or least avoid getting multi charged.

I can’t decide whether Archers are worth the extra 10 points over Warriors. A bit of shooting is always nice, but they’ll likely be moving most turns and dying early doors most games, so they’re not going to do a great deal of damage with their bows. And their defence is a pip lower than the Warriors. I could spend that 10 points on a Casket of the Damned or Myrrdin’s Amulet or something good like that. Or I could just take Swarms for the same price as a Warrior Troop, but at the moment I think I prefer the +2 Def of the Warriors to the Vanguard of the Swarms.

What are your thoughts? Have any of you made much use of any of these units?

Theoretically I always liked bowmen, as the idea of a few shots to get a point of damage to force a nerve test sounds really nice, it's just that it never practically works out.

That said,I usually prefer regiments of scavengers over infantry as their height of 2 allows for better shielding and they fly, so mobility is better.

Comment

Vince1248 Scavengers are way better I agree. I usually take 2 or 3 regiments of them, but I don't like to sacrifice them if I can help it as they are so useful late game. The infantry are significantly cheaper for a role where I more or less know where I want them from deployment onwards, without much need for speed and manoeuvrability.

Comment

I'm not sure how much this will help, but I've watched a couple of matches where Enslaved Guardian Archers were used to focus fire/pick off heroes and elite units to some degree of success. Of course, they're a lot more expensive than skeleton archers...
        Last edited by ThatwhichLurks; 12-01-2018, 07:44 PM.

Comment

I think if your goal is screening then the Swarms are your best choice, that Vanguard double move before the game starts really forces your opponents hand. (I'm not a EoD player my self but I get a match against them almost weekly from my buddy CanadianPeople, and those damn bugs dictate the first few rounds of whatever flank they are on).

Comment

I've come to like the swarms, because they're faster, mainly. And dirt cheap enough to grab objectives and forget .

I've had a little more success with skeleton crossbowmen troops as opposed to archers, just a slightly higher chance of getting that 1-2 wounds, archers tend to miss completely too much of the time.

Comment

Thanks for the ideas. I'll give the Swarms a go I haven't really tried them out yet. I think I've had a thing against them because they seem so much worse value than the Tidal Swarms (75 points, but with Nimble and Ensnare and 15 attacks!) from the army I've been playing most of late.
              Last edited by Edzig; 13-01-2018, 11:08 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Edzig View Post
                Thanks for the ideas. I'll give the Swarms a go I haven't really tried them out yet. I think I've had a thing against them because they seem so much worse value than the Tidal Swarms (75 points, but with Nimble and Ensnare and 15 attacks!) from the army I've been playing most of late.
                I think that this can be an issue when changing armies - you had something that worked in one list but now isn't available and the comparable thing is more expensive/doesn't seem as good etc.

Kept trying to find stuff to do what my KoM militia do - but nothing is quite so cheap & sh*t so had to take a different approach. It may be the same with swarms - which I quite like.
                Last edited by Sceleris; 13-01-2018, 03:04 PM.

Comment

Working...
                X