Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New CoK Rules - Are Most People Using Them?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I use it every game.

Daniel.
    Click here for Oh FourFootSnake... A KoW Podcast by myself, Jon, Nick and Matt.

Click here for the free KoW (V2) Rules, FAQ's and Errata.

Comment

I have only just gotten the book, but I don't see myself ever not using it. For me, the biggest thing is the rebalancing. Some units and item were just a little too good, and I think it is great that Mantic has the guts to do something about it. There are too many game companies out there that either don't care about balance or that think their game is perfect the way it is. More than anything else, this book signals that Mantic care about Kings of War.

Comment

This thread slowly but surely proves what I said in one of my eariler threads. Where people said oh its ok all these changes are optional, some even tried to make me seem foolish for thinking people would not want to use them. Here is the proof that just about anyone who can will use them.

Comment

The changes are still optional. No-one is forcing you to use them. They're not errata'd. Most people are using them, yes, but no-one ever said anything different. If you don't want to use them, don't.

Comment

Originally posted by Geist View Post
            This thread slowly but surely proves what I said in one of my eariler threads. Where people said oh its ok all these changes are optional, some even tried to make me seem foolish for thinking people would not want to use them. Here is the proof that just about anyone who can will use them.
            It's like when a company puts out a sequel to a computer game, like Starcraft II after Starcraft. You can technically choose to keep playing the old game, but it'll get increasingly hard to find people that don't prefer playing the latest version (provided it's reasonably good and at least arguably an improvement over the old).

I agree that it's a bit silly to pretend there's any significant difference in 'volunteer-ness' between a supplement like the CoK and a errata or new edition. You're never forced by the Mantic-Gestapo to use any specific version. Technically, people can choose to ignore any errata put out or choose to keep playing KoW 1st edition still. Or for that matter choose to play a completely different game all together. So while people aren't forced to use the CoK rules, they're never forced to use any rules whatsoever. The real measure of whether or not new rules are 'mandatory' or not is the extent to which it's adopted by the playerbase.

On the plus side though, I don't see any way the game isn't improved by the CoK supplement, so a wide adoption is a good thing IMO.

The only people I can see having a problem with CoK is if you were running a very specific army-build (like 3 dragons, drakon hordes, a archer horde with a BC mage) and wish to be able to use that exact list with the exact same level of success for ever and ever and never change anything. And in that case, it's probably a good thing for you long term anyway, to get encouraged to change things up a bit.
            Last edited by Zywus; 21-04-2017, 08:56 AM.
            So long and thanks for all the Brains - My undead painting log on the Mantic forum

Zywus' log of random KoW stuff

Comment

Originally posted by Daedle View Post
              The changes are still optional. No-one is forcing you to use them. They're not errata'd. Most people are using them, yes, but no-one ever said anything different. If you don't want to use them, don't.
              laughharder.jpg

Yeah, I got tossed from a FB forum for pointing this same thing out (backed by quotes from people who worked on the initial CoK tweaks), but we all knew where this was headed.

But for the record, while I think the flying nerfs are still silly and unneeded, I am accepting of them in combination with the other tweaks to the armies, items, and shooting that were put in. The main thing I am really pleased with is the emphatic emphasis on objective based play (where fliers might actually be an issue) that was included in the book, which I hope some of the more Kill happy events take to heart.

On topic, every game I have played since the book came out has been under the CoK rules (except our local league, which does not implement changes mid season) and the only complains have come from the gunline players (mostly Baneline Gobs and Elves) since they actually have to participate in the movement phase now. My wife, who plays Basilea, is salty about the fly nerfs, but the cover bonus against LB/FB/BW has done more for her style of play than the disorder rule took away, so she is net positive about it as well. I cannot personally complain, because I stopped using fliers and my riverguard spam feels like its on steroids in games where they have ensnare. As critical as I was over the early knee jerk changes, I really like the complete set of them in the book. Baby steps is the best path to balance.

Comment

Originally posted by Zywus View Post
                The only people I can see having a problem with CoK is if you were running a very specific army-build (like 3 dragons, drakon hordes, a archer horde with a BC mage) and wish to be able to use that exact list with the exact same level of success for ever and ever and never change anything. And in that case, it's probably a good thing for you long term anyway, to get encouraged to change things up a bit.
                Agree with this, but I think the Rats needed a bit more of the nerf bat. The Elf and Goblin Baneline lists definitely took a much needed hit and I would argue that Ab Dwarves probably got the most direct toning down from the pack. The Rats will have toned down LB, but really none of the other problems with their army were even slightly addressed. I mean, the Death Engine nerf is fairly laughable. The D5 was never the problem, it is the fact that its shooting you to death over the unkillable hordes while getting Rally pumped nerve that was the issue. Instead of the D drop, they should have dropped the ranged to hit value a pip. And Shock Troops, yeah only the most capable warriors in the land should have both Elite and Vicious as standard and nothing says elite like..... Rats? Should have traded out Elite for Fury to bring them more in line with other CS1 hordes. But as I said in the last post, baby steps and all that.

On the item front, I would have liked to see both the Wings and Caterpillar Potion removed, since both are basically ubiquitous in top end armies. The Wings nearly always get used to do abusive stuff (The Pharaoh was simply the most obvious thing to do with them) via flight, which the CoK nerf does not really do anything about. And the Cat Potion, while I like that it makes knight units viable in the "we hate TC" edition, is easily the most universally taken item in the game, which is all that needs to be said about it.

Still, baby steps and an emphasis on the right things make the CoK book (along with the Historicals) give me a very positive outlook on the direction of the game. Minor yearly tweaks that are based on higher level tournament play is a good thing.

Comment

For the death engines, remember that getting no cover from their own infantry due to being height 4 works both way, meaning that you can also shot at them without cover, and reducing them to def4+ make them much easier to kill like that at range.

Also remember that firebolt get -1 to hit when moving like most normal ranged attacks (to say nothing about cover) and has only 18" range, so you don't need to be a gunline to be able to threathen them at range.

Comment

We use them routinely in both casual and competitive play in my area. Most agree that they are overwhelmingly positive changes.

Comment

Working...
                    X