Newbie returning

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Newbie returning

I think it's been almost a year, I still have my box of unpainted revenants (haven't decided between Empire of Dust or Undead) somewhere in the closet. Wasn't able to completely join in because of RL stuff, but I hope to join in this year. How's the game come along in the past year? Any new units/new models/new rules?

Welcome back - and you are just in time! Clash of Kings 2018 is released on 22nd January and has new rules and new units in it, along with other stuff. Also, take a look at the Mantic 'shop' pages for Undead - the new undead wyrm model might give you a push in the direction you are looking for. (Personally, I favour Undead over Empire of Dust because of the wide range of options.)

Comment

Why not paint these up and use them for both? A part of the Undead army can be used for both Undead and Empire of Dust, so you'll get two armies for the price of one-and-a-bit.

If I were to start my undead army anew; I'd start with a horde of revenants and a mounted necromancer who can double as cursed high priest. Then I'd paint up a troop of skeleton bowmen, a regiment of revenants cavalry/skeletal horseman and a mounted revenant champion/revenant king. This gives a solid core of ~700 points which can be used for either army after which I can expand the army to 1,000 points in the way I like. (If I were to play undead I'd add 2 troops of wraits and some items, in EoD I'd go for a horde guardian archers or a bone giant + regiment of scavengers instead.)

20 revenants is nice way to start such an army. Get a handfull more models from any company (or convert them from skeletons) and you'll have enough to multibase a horde. These days, my hordes add up to 28-32 models (7-8 for a troop) as this gives me some space to play with decorations for multibasing.
      Last edited by Vince1248; 08-01-2018, 10:41 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Peter Cooper View Post
        Welcome back - and you are just in time! Clash of Kings 2018 is released on 22nd January and has new rules and new units in it, along with other stuff. Also, take a look at the Mantic 'shop' pages for Undead - the new undead wyrm model might give you a push in the direction you are looking for. (Personally, I favour Undead over Empire of Dust because of the wide range of options.)
        Wow, that undead Wyrm model looks really cool! I will probably pick it up soon!

Did some more looking on the store as well, loving the new Forces of Nature units too! Got me a little curious as to how they play.
        Last edited by ThatwhichLurks; 09-01-2018, 02:07 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by ThatwhichLurks View Post

Did some more looking on the store as well, loving the new Forces of Nature units too! Got me a little curious as to how they play.
          There are loads of different viable builds for FoN, thats why I love them. Off the top of my head theres;

Lots of shambling elemental spam, slow moving but high defense with the option to pull off sneaky surge charges.

Heavy vanguarding armies using Forest Shamblers and Tree Herders to be across the board turn 1.

Big grinding infanrty blocks of Salamaders and Ensarers backed up by loads of heal. Takes a load of damage and wins by not dying and grinding opponents down.

Running loads of Centaurs, both the shooting and the combat kind, arguably one of the best all cavalry options in the game.

Or my personal favorite.... Lighting bolt, Lots and lots of lighting bolts. Hidden behind high nerve units like Salamanders.

Or any mix and match of the above. Plus there's lots of other ways to play them. One thing I love about FoN is that their units are very versatile and can often be modified to suit your build (e.g. Beasts of Nature and Winged Unicorns).
          Elliot M

"There you go again, cheating by using the rules correctly!"

Comment

Probably going to start with Empire of Dust/Undead, then branch out into Forces of Nature once I get settled. Probably.
            Last edited by ThatwhichLurks; 14-01-2018, 01:22 AM.

Comment

Working...
            X