Next for Mantica?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Next for Mantica?

So, we have a skirmish game, a dungeon crawler, and a war game all in the same universe. It seems like Mantic intends to link games of DS and KoW to Vanguard, based on comments.
    To me, it seems like the best way to really unite the games is via RPG rules, but I haven't heard anything about the idea from Mantic or fans yet. Have I missed it or does KoW generally appeal to a different fan base than classic pen and paper RPGs?

Mhhh not sure.

A lot of people play this for tournaments / competitive play.
    I'd say that's an entirely different fanbase and style of playing than pen & paper RPG play is.

Personally I would have no interest in a RPG at all either, as I'm into KOW for casual 1v2 or 2v2 matches between friends and the occasional tournament.

What I would appreciate however, would be more quality "fluff" (emphasis on quality), i.e. background story and maybe even some KOW novels. An RPG may actual provide a bit more "fluff", but that's about as far as my interest goes. If seen as a matter of resource allocation, I would frankly hate to hear that they are spending resources on an RPG instead of further KOW development.

Opinions may of course vary.
    Last edited by Mikez; 04-12-2017, 11:37 AM.

Comment

That's similar to my feeling, I mainly want it from a world development POV, but, I also have an idea for an RPG where the party ends up in the middle of a big war, and could easily see it containing skirmish style encounters too. I just wonder if the disparity between such systems would be too hard too patch on the fly (stat and loot translation, etc).

Comment

Please Mantic don't make a scratchbuilt RPG. Make a Savage Worlds or 5e sourcebook that we can use with an existing solid game.

Comment

Originally posted by njaegara View Post
          Please Mantic don't make a scratchbuilt RPG. Make a Savage Worlds or 5e sourcebook that we can use with an existing solid game.
          Oh-Oh! go with the FATE system!

Comment

I'd go with Savage World's. Pinnacle is pretty chill with licensing from what I understand.

I think the reason there isn't an RPG right now is because we don't have enough background material

Comment

Yeah 5E hands down right now. Though you can pretty much already do that with the book now, but races like ogres and stuff are slightly different ect.

Comment

I believe we'll see more of the same from Mantic. You'll see vanguard slowly worked out and then released, you'll of course see CoK 2018 maybe another summer event like they had this year. But we'll see the same anemic army and world story development, as well as the same lackluster development in the ways of game mechanics. Now i don't say this to be mean or negative, just how I read what will happen. If you think about the money, this is where Mantic's sales will be, and any smart business focuses on where the sales are.

Comment

Originally posted by Scraplet View Post
                  as well as the same lackluster development in the ways of game mechanics.
                  What does that exactly mean? What game mechanics arent they developing?

Comment

What does that exactly mean? What game mechanics arent they developing?
                    you think maybe he means some systems have been neglected in terms of evolution of the games? which is ok especially considering the games are pretty solid to start with eh?

Comment

Originally posted by h347h View Post

Yeah 5E hands down right now. Though you can pretty much already do that with the book now, but races like ogres and stuff are slightly different ect.
                      There already exist source books for Middle Earth and Magic the Gathering using 5e so there are also other books to crib from and shows there is a good way to do it. I have all the D&D minis for the past few years and working on the KoW equivalent armies as I got tired of waiting for good 5e D&D warband and mass combat rules. For Ogres I used the Oni, Orog and Hobgoblin and the giant Ogres. Undead was the easy fit, Trident and Night Stalkers was fun to do.

But why would they do such D&D quality campaign and monster manuals when they have not done the storied equivalents for KoW itself? If you strip the KoW tables out of the books, there is not much to work with! There is only a few lines of fluff for each unit and that is not enough to fill a monster/player handbook when D&D would spend a page or more on each. There is something to be said for leaving it open to enable creativity, rather than the unit police coming out and saying your art does not fit the lore (a serious problem in the Forgotten Realms community)
                      Last edited by yarnevk; 08-12-2017, 05:18 PM.

Comment

yarnevk We mean make a Mantic book for the 5e ruleset. That would involve a huge amount of fluff and background in addition to creating storylines and characters in the world.

Comment

The Bag i guess maybe Mars Attacks has been left alone. DZ just got an update, DB has V2, DS has new modules coming... yeah its all new stuff.

Comment

yarnevk We mean make a Mantic book for the 5e ruleset. That would involve a huge amount of fluff and background in addition to creating storylines and characters in the world.
                            They could take the books they have now and replace the combat tables with D&D stats or just suggest the D&D equivalent to use. It would be rather bare and not sell because there is not enough lore.

But KoW itself needs the lore if they are to compete with the competing wargaming lore that is out there. Although the approach of CoK being living lore is an interesting way of having players battle to write history.

It is better to have the fluff already written for KOW so that there is actually a book to sell for D&D and not just a pamphlet of D&D stat conversions.

The big question for Mantic is does it sell more minis? D&D 5e focus is on theatre of the mind, they really only sell the minis to collectors which is a change from D&D 4e where they focused on the battlemaps and you needed minis or at least counters to keep combat straight, now they are just nice to have.
                            Last edited by yarnevk; 08-12-2017, 08:54 PM.

Comment

Plenty of people at my FLGS play 5E with miniatures. The have come out with a nice double sided map and are rereleasing dungeon tiles again. So I think there is a market still for miniatures. It would be very cool if mantic could make some generic 'adventurer' boxes where you could cobble together several adventurers. They could theme them for difference races ect.

Comment

Working...
                              X