Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Player Feedback on The Battle of the Glades 2 Player Battle Set

Hi KoW'ers!

Gorgol the Ogre here! This post is a review of The Battle of the Glades starter set as a new player to KoW. Am new to the Kings of War miniature war game hobby but am not new to gaming. Like so many other KoW'ers I was first introduced to miniature war games through Warhammer Fantasy Battle back in the mid 90s as a young teenager.

Now, many years later I have decided to return to my interest in miniature war gaming. To my shock (and financial relief) I discovered that Games Workshop had decided to end WFB. My search for a replacement eventually led me to Kings of War / Mantic.

I like what Mantic has designed with KoW and I like Mantic's approach to game development / community engagement and I have decided to pitch tent here for years to come. So far I have collected about 400 USD + of Kings of War product.

I am starting completely from scratch so a lot of money is going into basic supplies like paints, primers and washes to get my painting resources up and running. I have started my miniature collection with the new starter set, The Battle of the Glades.

This is what came in the box:

Kings of War Gamer's Edition Rulebook, including full rules, 11 complete Army Lists, and more!
    Battle of the Glades Guide, including lore, two starter force lists and a mini-campaign!
    20 Hard Plastic Lower Abyssals/Flamebearers with Command
    20 Hard Plastic Succubi with Command
    20 Hard Plastic Naiad Ensnarers/Heartpiercers with Command
    20 Hard Plastic Salamanders with Shield or Great Weapons and Command
    1 Metal Abyssal Champion with Alternate Components
    1 Metal Druid with Alternate Components
    Plastic Square Bases
    Mantic Points

Great? No, not really. I am an experienced tabletop war gamer and could figure my way around the starter set but if I was someone just jumping into the hobby I would be almost utterly and completely lost.

Yes, there is a rulebook and scenario book in the box but it comes with no instructions whatsoever on how to assemble the models. Why couldn't Mantic have added a simple assembly instruction booklet with the starter set to help new hobbyists figure their way around the miniatures? Secondly, while we get a rulebook we do not get any accessories for the game itself. No status tokens, measuring tools or unit cards. If I was a new player these would be welcome game aids to help get me started and to assist gameplay.

Next let us talk about the miniatures. They are hard enough for a new player to put together without some kind of a guide but some of them are especially difficult to put together. I had a HECK of time assembling the Salamanders with Great Weapons - or any miniatures with Great Weapons, really. In many cases, their arms were so short and stubby that the Great Weapons (when I could manage to glue them on) would be millimeters away from their heads or torsos. I tremble to think how much of a hassle these miniatures will be to paint.

Then there was the packaging. I appreciate that the starter set comes with a lot of miniatures but the sprues, however were so densely (and poorly) packed that there was some breakage. Several of the Succubi whips had been snapped in half during packing and shipment. While I had no problem gluing the broken parts together I think some effort and thought should be put into designing components that A) do not break and B) packages that protect the contents inside.

Want to see a starter set done right? Look no further than the new Runewars Miniatures Game by Flight Fantasy Flight games.

Will FFG's New Runewars Miniature Game be a Hit? Unboxing
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NGMZEbN_4V8

This starter set comes with status tokens, measuring tools, unit cards, rules cards, scenario / setup cards a small lore book AND miniatures that are dead easy to assemble WITHOUT GLUE! That is a true a entry level of starter set done right. I want to see Kings of War thrive and grow and I do think some thought should be put into the next starter set to make sure that it as complete and user-friendly as possible.

Again, this starter set is fine for a war game veteran such as myself but if I was young kid just getting into the hobby it would be a daunting and discouraging let-down for me.
    Last edited by gorgoltheogre; 11-08-2017, 01:20 AM.

Am i the only person who reads the above as an ad for Runewars? Yes their models are easy to assemble. And totally in a different genre of game. And not at all comparable to KoW. And half the amount of models (roughly).

Mantics models could use a good set of pictures to show assembly (most miniature companies could). But there is no need for the other game accessories in the starter box.

Comment

Originally posted by njaegara View Post
      Am i the only person who reads the above as an ad for Runewars? Yes their models are easy to assemble. And totally in a different genre of game. And not at all comparable to KoW. And half the amount of models (roughly).

Mantics models could use a good set of pictures to show assembly (most miniature companies could). But there is no need for the other game accessories in the starter box.
      I am sorry you read my post that way, that was not my intention here. I am simply looking to provide feedback here as a costumer on how the starter set experience could be improved for new players to the hobby. However I strongly disagree with you about Runewars Miniatures Game, it is a direct competitor of Kings of War. The official FFG website describes RMG as: "a miniatures game of epic rank-and-file battles for two players" I would ask you, how is that not comparable to Kings of War?

They are absolutely competing in the same market. And I believe that FFG has taken every step to offer a more complete new player experience through their starter set for RMG. Whether you like it or not, FFG is raising the bar on what players will expect from starter sets. There is a good reason why companies like PP and FFG are growing in leaps and bounds and I think it would be very much to Mantic's benefit to learn from their competitors how to innovate the presentation of the starter set for what is their flagship tabletop product.

Don't misread my intentions here. I am 100% dedicated to Kings of War and Mantic products and have no plans of buying anything from FFG, I am simply offering what will hopefully be seen as constructive criticism here to help Team Mantic lower the barrier of entry for new players to join this game we all love so much. ^_^

Last edited by gorgoltheogre; 11-08-2017, 07:44 AM.

Comment

I'd say that's pretty fair feedback,useful even.

Comment

I also agree, starter boxes should have all necessary game aids (tokens & measuring tools).
          Mantic did this on DeadZone & Walking Dead, I'm surprise they didn't do the same on the starter for Kings Of War.

Comment

The only thing i agree with is the manual to assebly the miniatures. It doesn't have to be like the big and fancy ones from that other company but just a guideline to the naiad heartpiercers fx. I love the sculpts but would like a single page brochure in the box with example assemly.
            It should be pretty easy to do but i know that it will cost money and that mantics goal is to make miniatures accessible with a low price.

I love the mantic products but if they want to make their product even better, then yes, a short assembly guide is the option. just with the more complex plastic kits.

Comment

I don't think an A4 black and white printed page will add to teh cost, really... and the sculptor, or the guy that does the cutting for the cast should as a matter of course draft an assembly guide.

they could even video one assembly of the models and post to youtube and provide a link on the box. easy easy.

Comment

I think Gee Dubs started introducing Measuring sticks between WHFB4 and WHFB5. They weren't in the 4th edition box anyway. And I think Mantic is right not to include them. The other day we were using the old measuring sticks and found out they weren't accurate at all. By the end of the stick there was over a half inch of error. Googled it and found out that plastic shrink caused errors in some batches. We had about 6 that were way off and 2 that were right.

Anyway, the hobby (IMO) has never been more accessible than it is right now, and the internet is a large portion of that. You don't need instructions, you have a million people to ask on a couple hundred different websites for help if you need it. And those posts RARELY turn up. Most people figure it out on their own.

Comment

Originally posted by gorgoltheogre View Post

They are absolutely competing in the same market. And I believe that FFG has taken every step to offer a more complete new player experience through their starter set for RMG. Whether you like it or not, FFG is raising the bar on what players will expect from starter sets. There is a good reason why companies like PP and FFG are growing in leaps and bounds and I think it would be very much to Mantic's benefit to learn from their competitors how to innovate the presentation of the starter set for what is their flagship tabletop product.
                  I appreciate your response.

I would argue that Runewars isn't an "epic" game. Running two armies with 10 plus units in Runewars requires such a time investment that it makes larger games, where i would say epic lies, nigh on impossible. I have closely watched it be played, especially lately, and it is a beginner styled wargame. Can FFG develop it to be direct competition? Maybe, but it requires a significant change in their approach, something they probably will not do. I will argue it competes with Warmahordes and AoS much more than KoW. And before anyone jumps in, yes they are all competing against each other in the hobby market. The difficulty for Mantic is the transitioning of gamers from the generally easier to start games, like Runewars, into the full hobby level of KoW, with much greater depth and breadth. Your critique of the box itself is good, necessary even, and something Mantic need to fix (make the box a bit deeper please).

But measuring devices? Mantic could charge 12 bucks, or you get one from Walmart for 2. Dice would be a better inclusion. Other game aids would artificially inflate the cost of the box and, importantly, are not needed.

Battle of the Glades, IMHO, is a good Starter box, but it isn't a Beginner box.

Comment

I would argue that Runewars is more of a gateway game. It is smaller in scale, but may give people the hobby bug. For me, my gateway game was Heroquest, followed closely by Dragon Strike. Those are the kind of games that make you want to dive into a big box of unassembled minis and slather terrible paint jobs on minis for years until you realize that there are techniques involved.

Though I guess with the internet the learning curve is probably a bit less steep nowadays.

Comment

Originally posted by njaegara View Post

Agreed. The first 3/4 were a good review. The last bit....was blatant advertising.
                      To defend: this is the pact. But when life loses its meaning and is taken for naught,then the pact is to avenge!

Comment

Originally posted by Blood axe View Post

Agreed. The first 3/4 were a good review. The last bit....was blatant advertising.
                        It may read a bit like that, but I think the intent was clear. "Mantic, please consider this as a model of what a newbie friendly game looks like". But, IMO, Mantic should stick with wallet-friendly and let the player friendly games be gateways to the hobby.

Comment

Originally posted by pinkymadigan View Post

It may read a bit like that, but I think the intent was clear. "Mantic, please consider this as a model of what a newbie friendly game looks like". But, IMO, Mantic should stick with wallet-friendly and let the player friendly games be gateways to the hobby.
                          I get it. But there are two links, & a video on Rune Wars, but no pics or videos on the Mantic set being reviewed......

I totally agree on " wallet-friendly". IMHO Mantic needs to keep prices low. Ive seen some prices creep into GW territory and thats disappointing.
                          To defend: this is the pact. But when life loses its meaning and is taken for naught,then the pact is to avenge!

Comment

I think it's one link, and the forum software added the preview.

Comment

Originally posted by pinkymadigan View Post
                              I think it's one link, and the forum software added the preview.
                              Ok, but you get my point. Links, pic, vid on the reviewed set? None.

Comment

Working...
                              X