Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

When should you be able to see your opponents list during a game?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Bradsterius View Post
    Hah well I started a thread after the game yesterday i was so irritated and well it was a pretty interesting read in the least ha
    What's the name/title of the thread? I couldn't find it.

Comment

Oh sorry I posted it on Kings of war fanatics facebook group.

Comment

it's HERE.

Daniel.
        Click here for Oh FourFootSnake... A KoW Podcast by myself, Jon, Nick and Matt.

Click here for the free KoW (V2) Rules, FAQ's and Errata.

Comment

Sounds like a great experience. Best not to bother with them anymore. Don't curse their name to every Tom, **** and Harry, just politely refuse to play your man dollies with them again.

Comment

It sounds to me like there are a couple things happening here. Neither one of you seems entirely comfortable with the ruleset and he seems to be steamrolling you by fast play, whether intentionally or due to his lack of knowledge of the rules. He also seems to be disrespectful, regardless of whether he is actually getting anything wrong or not. Plenty of people I play with can look at a set of 20 dice and say "11 hits" after looking at it for a half second, so he might be just playing fast. But, if your opponent can't verify in the time you give them, and they complain about it, it's poor sport to continue to play that fast, or to not give an alternate accounting method (physically separating hits from misses/picking up misses/etc) to justify your visible result. Especially since visible results are prone to mistakes, where as an alternate accounting method produces better results (though mistakes can still happen, it allows a second set of eyes to see what you see).

You opponent admits he doesn't know the rules that well, and so have you, that is a problem in my book. The basic rules aren't difficult, brush up on them. If he doesn't know them and refuses to brush up on them, then he needs to slow down, point blank. While some things may seem obvious, it's always a good idea to confirm things you think are obvious "I'm charging here, looks good right?". This at least gives you/your opponent a chance to see things that the other might not have - "are you sure that's a flank?", "Can you make that with just the one pivot?", etc.

Anyway, he knows where you stand now, I would brush up on the rules and try to get games with someone else. At the very least avoid each other for a bit until you both know the game better. And showing up with a list is a must. If he doesn't have a list, don't play until he prints one. It doesn't take long to plug an army into easyarmy and verify everything. He had some stuff seriously wrong with his initial list (multiple items on one unit, items used more than once, by his admission), so it strikes me that he probably hasn't fully read the very small rulebook.

Comment

THE TINY RULEBOOK!!!
              TBH I can't recall a game that allowed multiple instances of magic items... herohammmer allowed multiple items on characters.. those were the days when half your army was one model

how cool could it be if you could have a second item on your characters? even at an elevated cost?

pretty cool, that's how cool.

Comment

Originally posted by The_Bag View Post
                THE TINY RULEBOOK!!!
                I mean, I'm not wrong, right? I've played board games with longer rulesets. There's complexity in edge cases, but the basics do not take a lot of reading to get correct.

As for multiple items, I often find myself thinking about a second item accidentally on a hero, but then I remind myself of how unfun some of the builds I used to make we're back in v4. Some times you just get too much flexibility and it breaks things.

Comment

Totally agree with you and have been reading the rules and the stickies on this forum since that game. I probably allowed myself to get to worked up anyway. We have a very nice local group with one exception so when I agreed to play for the third time against the person I knew going in what i was in for. Dont yell at the fire if you stick your hand in it. Fire does what it does because its fire lol

Comment

Originally posted by pinkymadigan View Post
                    I mean, I'm not wrong, right?.
                    go down the road, turn left, right? keep straight, right?.. then if you see a palm tree or the right, right? that's wrong, right. that's the wrong way, the right way, right, is to keep right, right?

yeah its a concise rulebook, i find that its "all over the place" but it is short. i mean finding certain rules is not intuitive.

Comment

Its not ASL but man there is so much freedom built into the rules that communication between players is essential and there is quite a bit of free or extra movement allowed in the game that makes it pretty interesting to figure out when looking down at the table on turn 2 with 20 plus units all getting ready to pummel each other

What I really like is a lack of zone of control. In most games I have played you are not allowed to pass thru, or come within a set distance of an enemy element or unit unless charging and then you have to have the movement to fully hit and line up with them. I like the fact that there is not 5 charts to look at for every combat and that you do not remove casualties.

What I dislike if anything is just the generic nature of the magic and artifacts for the armies. But it would be pretty hard to balance everything and keep it simple if they changed it. I have never played a game where an individual didnt have 360 arc, but again its growing on me. Reading all of the old threads about rules on here has really helped a lot.

Comment

Originally posted by Bradsterius View Post
                        What I really like is a lack of zone of control. In most games I have played you are not allowed to pass thru, or come within a set distance of an enemy element or unit unless charging and then you have to have the movement to fully hit and line up with them.
                        KoW kind of has that? You can't pass within an inch of an enemy unless you are charging, and even then you can't pass through them.

Comment

Yep your right. See I need to keep reading the rules. It has hampered me because in situations when playing I will not move something or charge because I do not understand how to do it. Knowing the rules in any game is a big part of enjoying it too. Just takes time to get there sometimes.

Comment

Working...
                          X