Canon

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Canon

Could somebody provide a comprehensive list of the sources of lore which are currently considered canon for the world of Mantica?

Main core rule book, Uncharted Empires, Destiny of Kings are the 2nd ed sources. I believe that all of the 1st ed books' fluff would still be considered cannon though as well.

Comment

Thanks, I have all of those. How do campaigns tie in? Is this coming summer campaign the first of its kind? Do you know if or how they're intending to expand the lore through the campaign? Will there be a supplement, or some kind of living online source? Any ideas?

Comment

There will be a summer campaign book in (I think) July that will have some fluff and background to get the campaign started, as well as some new characters and units for the campaign.

Late this year, after the culmination of the campaign, there will be a larger book full of updated fluff and what will at that point be the state of the world (which will be influenced by the campaign results). That book will have further new units in it.

Comment

Great, thanks. Is that how it was with Destiny of Kings? I wasn't really active in the hobby at the time.

Comment

Destiny of Kings was just kind of a side thing, it was sort of "it's own thing." This will be much more comprehensive and have a much deeper impact on the world. Also, Destiny of Kings wasn't something where they calculated worldwide results and so we didn't really influence the overall world in the way that we soon will.

Comment

I consider the Dwarf Ironbelcher cannon?

Cannon.PNG

Daniel.
              Attached Files
              Click here for Oh FourFootSnake... A KoW Podcast by myself, Jon, Nick and Matt.

Click here for the free KoW (V2) Rules, FAQ's and Errata.

Comment

I've been doing a bit of research for the sourcebook map(s) the last few months.

For reference i've gone through..

Kings of War - Rulebook
                Kings of War - Basilean Legacy
                Kings of War - Kings and Legends
                Kings of War - Hellfire and Stone
                Kings of War - Uncharted Empires
                Kings of War - Destiny of Kings
                Kings of War - New Twilight Kin Background (TOP SECRET )
                Kings of War - Summer Campaign Hero Backgrounds
                Dungeon Saga - Rulebook
                Dungeon Saga - Black Fortress
                Dungeon Saga - The Dwarf Kings Quest
                Dungeon Saga - The Return of Valandor
                Dungeon Saga Adventure Gamebook - Rise of the Shadow King
                Dungeon Saga Adventure Gamebook - Winters Knight
                Mantic Journals Issues 1 to 4

So it's pretty safe to say that they're all considered Canon until it's said otherwise (a few bits may be getting jigged around a bit, some of the map was getting very crowded).
                Last edited by LordOfSmurfs; 19-05-2017, 08:34 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Darklord View Post
                  I consider the Dwarf Ironbelcher cannon?

Daniel.
                  I was going to say that.

I am quite interested that so many people love detailed background. I just play games. I use Herd hordes because they are good. I use dwarves because I own lots, I don't use undead because I am not very good with them, but I never really consider background stories. (So thanks for starting this discussion - it has made me pay more attention!

Comment

I personally am a fluffy player () and world setting is very important for me.

I really enjoyed all these small bits of backstory from above mentioned sources, but that really is not enough. What players like me need is a more detailed map, more history of major nations and races of mantica, and what I would personally really love to see is description of everyday life, economics, sciences and other "real world" things for every race. I know it is a wargame but I would really hate to see Mantica going in the same direction as the Old World: constant war and no hope for mortals. That really was irritating me and driving away from that setting.

Mantica however can be a lighter, much more magical and peaceful place where there is room for progress, art and prosperity. Even with occasional war or two.
                    My growing Kings of War armies:

1) Dwarfs
                    2) Undead
                    3) Goblins and Orcs
                    4) Sea Kin Elves
                    5) Dagger Island Salamanders

Comment

Well, the Summer Campaign and Sourcebook will be out later this year with more fluff and new / old maps etc .

Comment

Originally posted by LordOfSmurfs View Post
                        Well, the Summer Campaign and Sourcebook will be out later this year with more fluff and new / old maps etc .
                        so looking forward to both of them!
                        Tales of a Stranded Ghekkotah

KoW Painting Blog

Comment

And I sure am looking forward to learning more about that wonderful brave new world of Mantica!
                          My growing Kings of War armies:

1) Dwarfs
                          2) Undead
                          3) Goblins and Orcs
                          4) Sea Kin Elves
                          5) Dagger Island Salamanders

Comment

I've been doing a bit of research for the sourcebook map(s) the last few months.

For reference i've gone through..

Kings of War - Rulebook
                            Kings of War - Basilean Legacy
                            Kings of War - Kings and Legends
                            Kings of War - Hellfire and Stone
                            Kings of War - Uncharted Empires
                            Kings of War - Destiny of Kings
                            Kings of War - New Twilight Kin Background (TOP SECRET )
                            Kings of War - Summer Campaign Hero Backgrounds
                            Dungeon Saga - Rulebook
                            Dungeon Saga - Black Fortress
                            Dungeon Saga - The Dwarf Kings Quest
                            Dungeon Saga - The Return of Valandor
                            Dungeon Saga Adventure Gamebook - Rise of the Shadow King
                            Dungeon Saga Adventure Gamebook - Winters Knight
                            Mantic Journals Issues 1 to 4

So it's pretty safe to say that they're all considered Canon until it's said otherwise (a few bits may be getting jigged around a bit, some of the map was getting very crowded).

I see 1st edition supplements in this list, so this means that on the whole their background is still canon ? (outside maybe a few details of course)

If so I would have a few questions.

- In 1st edition the Green Lady fluff was more vague about what she really was. That she was some kind of celestial was mentionned as one theory, but it's only in the 2st edition rulebook that it was confirmed.
                            Does this imply that her true nature is not really known by her servants and allies ?
                            In a similar way, it could be nice to have an idea of what is an objective truth and what is subjective. I love the clearly subjective background of the Herd, where you get a glimpse of the truth about the "Father" mixed with clearly mythological exaggerration making it hard to find the limit.
                            In short, if we tried to play a RPG set in Mantica, what would be the kind of information easily available for your average commonor, what would be known widely but only by scholars or other specific persons, and what would be secrets only known by a few or maybe even nobody at all ?

- I have some problems with the background of the orc wizard hero Wip the Half cast, the way the background is written it sometimes looks like it's from an omniscient narrator, as it describe things that nobody else than Wip should known (and even there ...), and other times it seems so prone to absolutes that it looks like something some Basilean solider/schoolar might have written.
                            This background make the orcs look like even more savage brutes that usual, the orcs from his tribe are even described as cannibals eating their captured elves.
                            Was the orc hero's tribe an extreme exemple even for Mantica Orcs (maybe akin to savage orcs in wharammer), or are they supposed to be typicals, or maybe was it something to retcon (or to take as a subjective story by an unreliable narrator) ?
                            I also hope that the idea that Wip is half-elf/half-orc will be kept as something that is suspected (and a reason/way he was bullied) but not clearly confirmed, as a 100% confirmation that orcs and elvves can interbreed (without it being the result of some kind of magical fusion like the AD halfbreeds) would open a whole can of worm.

- in Bazuzu background in 1st edition, he his mentionned has being rival with some female flying creature trying to compete with him as lord of the skies.
                            don't remind the name, but I don't think that it was mentionned elsewhere. (if I am wrong please correct me)
                            Going with more recent background, I wonder if the female creature might not simply be retconned to be Herja, as a Varangur and with the nature of the Fallen (made with gargoyles blood/essence), she would seem to be the perfect nemesis/rival for the lord of Gargoyles.
                            Or was the creature mentionned something that might still be used in the future ?

Comment

Originally posted by jtrowell View Post

Going with more recent background, I wonder if the female creature might not simply be retconned to be Herja, as a Varangur and with the nature of the Fallen (made with gargoyles blood/essence), she would seem to be the perfect nemesis/rival for the lord of Gargoyles.
                              Or was the creature mentionned something that might still be used in the future ?
                              Of the top of my head I think Basusu's wife was exsanguinated to make Herja? Not sure if that's cannon or not, it may just be something we discussed in the RC.

Daniel.
                              Click here for Oh FourFootSnake... A KoW Podcast by myself, Jon, Nick and Matt.

Click here for the free KoW (V2) Rules, FAQ's and Errata.

Comment

Working...
                              X