Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Troll Army? (Actual Trolls, not ppl on the Internet)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Troll Army? (Actual Trolls, not ppl on the Internet)

I've come across a couple posts here and there with people discussing Troll themed armies.
    Usually looking at Goblins for the regular Trolls.

But has anyone ever *actually* made one?
    Or at least tested one with proxies?

I'm not even really looking for experiences with full Troll armies, even something where 50%ish of the army is Trolls, which could also easily be done with Varangur or Orcs.
    50% trolls would still qualify as "Troll themed" in my books, lol. The rest of it could be filled with some sort of modified cavalry. (I was thinking a bunch of unmounted wild boars from Malifaux as Fleabag riders or Gor riders) or Raptors, if anyone made good raptors (spoiler: nobody does). Maybe some type of Slasher or other monsters too.

Anyway, anyone have any Troll themed army experiences they could share?

Originally posted by Nexus View Post
    I'm not even really looking for experiences with full Troll armies, even something where 50%ish of the army is Trolls, which could also easily be done with Varangur or Orcs.
    Big upside of going heavy Troll with Goblins is that their Trolls aren't Irregular, so your 50% of Trolls unlocks 50% of delicious Goblin support (which is delicious). In Varangrr or Orcs the other 50% would need to unlock both the Trolls and whatever support you could stuff in there.

Otherwise I say bring it, big fan of Trolls, and I'm a bit surprised I haven't seen a Troll army in KOW, given that they existed in WHFB under the WOC list ...
    BLOODFIRE :: Salamander Battle Reports
    NURGLEKIN :: Ratkin Battle Reports
    INSTAGRAM :: boss_salvage

Comment

Robby king has made one, and placed pretty well in the US masters if i'm not mistaking

Comment

Try out an Orc Troll army, though you'd need some token orcs for unlocks. A center of 3x Horde of Trolls backed by a wardrum, godspeaker (with +2 heal item) and flagger (with rallying).

3x De5 17/20 Nerve hordes with regen(5+) and supplemented by heal 7 a is nasty.

Comment

Originally posted by Boss Salvage View Post
          Big upside of going heavy Troll with Goblins is that their Trolls aren't Irregular, so your 50% of Trolls unlocks 50% of delicious Goblin support (which is delicious). In Varangrr or Orcs the other 50% would need to unlock both the Trolls and whatever support you could stuff in there.

Otherwise I say bring it, big fan of Trolls, and I'm a bit surprised I haven't seen a Troll army in KOW, given that they existed in WHFB under the WOC list ...
          Very true, and the upside of the Orc trolls is in horde formation they buff the Godspeakers as Smurf pointed out.

Comment

Yeah I'm not particularly concerned about the regular/irregular stuff since it's easy enough to toss some unmounted beasties (Malifaux wild boars for example) on a few bases and call them Gor Regiments to get the Troll unlocks without taking much away from the Troll theme. In Orcs, the beasts could be Gors, in Goblins the beasts would be mawbeasts or fleabags.

I am mostly going back and forth between Orcs or Goblins though. Varangur cave trolls feel like they pack almost too much punch, with Crushing 3 being wasted often enough to make the speed drop and points increase not worth it. Besides I'm not seeing much way to unlock the trolls without focusing the army on a different race first. I'm not really seeing any equivalent of "put some unmounted beasts on a base to unlock trolls."

Either way, I'm looking at a core of probably 4-5 Troll Hordes and 2 Troll Bruisers.

The advantage for Goblins seems to be the ability to include artillery, and really cheap chaff-flavored beasts (as Maw Beasts or Fleabags) while still being able to toss in a couple slashers or giants for flavor.

The advantage for Orcs seems to be harder hitting beasts (as Gors), a War Drum, and still getting the giant, but being able to upgrade the Slasher to a harder-hitting flyer.

So in my head, the "goblin" version is more well-rounded but reliant on the trolls to get kills, while the "orc" version is more one dimensional but with multiple threats and a flyer.

Comment

Originally posted by pappynator View Post
              Robby king has made one, and placed pretty well in the US masters if i'm not mistaking
              Yes Robby's trolls first appeared at Bayou Battles in August, where they had the 5th highest battle points in a field of 50-ish, and won best overall. Then he had them again at the just finished US Masters where he had the 3rd or 4th best battle points, and won the Paragon award as best overall again. The list is:

6 hordes of trolls
              2 rock lobbas
              2 war trombones
              2 giants
              2 flaggits on mount (or were they biggits?)
              1 wiz on mount with BC

Pretty sure that's the list. Beautifully painted, fun but painful to play against.

Originally posted by Nexus View Post
              Yeah I'm not particularly concerned about the regular/irregular stuff since it's easy enough to toss some unmounted beasties (Malifaux wild boars for example) on a few bases and call them Gor Regiments to get the Troll unlocks without taking much away from the Troll theme. In Orcs, the beasts could be Gors, in Goblins the beasts would be mawbeasts or fleabags.

Either way, I'm looking at a core of probably 4-5 Troll Hordes and 2 Troll Bruisers.

The advantage for Goblins seems to be the ability to include artillery, and really cheap chaff-flavored beasts (as Maw Beasts or Fleabags) while still being able to toss in a couple slashers or giants for flavor.

The advantage for Orcs seems to be harder hitting beasts (as Gors), a War Drum, and still getting the giant, but being able to upgrade the Slasher to a harder-hitting flyer.

So in my head, the "goblin" version is more well-rounded but reliant on the trolls to get kills, while the "orc" version is more one dimensional but with multiple threats and a flyer.
              You say that you want 4-5 troll hordes, plus 2 bruisers, then talk about war drums, giants, and a flying slasher. The problem is that 2 gore reg are 370. 4 troll hordes take you to 1130. 2 bruisers take you to 1380. Another 185 for a gore reg and 80 for a wardrum brings you to 1645. Another gore reg and the winged slasher get you to 2115, no points spent on items, and more than half the army in points and half in drops are non-trolls.

On the other hand, if you go goblins you can easily get 5-6 troll hordes, and have plenty of unlocks for other toys and items, and it will be both a much better list and a much more troll-themed list.

Comment

I'm fairly impressed by the synergy in the Orc version, juicing the Trolls up a bit and supporting with magical shooting. I feel like the Gobs have the advantage in chaff, drops and general shooting, but if you're cool with what both lists require for unlocks (I don't really know myself, though I'm guessing like Orcs = cav and Gobs = shooters?) my vote might tentatively go towards Orcs.

EDIT: Ninja'd by an excellent Goblin breakdown. +1 to packing more Trolls into a Troll-centric list, disregard my Orc faffing above.
                BLOODFIRE :: Salamander Battle Reports
                NURGLEKIN :: Ratkin Battle Reports
                INSTAGRAM :: boss_salvage

Comment

I'm really curious how Robby King's list worked.
                  I'm kinda terrified of playing without Chaff.

Looking at a goblin list as the base, I'm debating about whether I should be taking a couple units of Fleabags to pressure the enemy ranged troops (using their speed 10), or if I should take some Fleabags for the cheap chaff providing my Trolls with easy countercharges.

But not having either. That sounds scary. O.o

Comment

You've gotta have a troll king in the list if you're doing a troll army.

​​​

Comment

Had a local player run an all Troll army several times, he failed to win a game, but lack of war-gaming experience and turrible dice rolling played a part in it as well. Definitely looked cool. I do remember him using 2 big rock throwers and 2 troll bruisers, otherwise the rest was entirely made up of troll regts. and hordes.

Comment

I run a lot of zombie trolls. Different kettle of fish, but kind of the same. Works nicely, and looks awesome.

Comment

Hey Nexus, Robby here. I use the flaggits as chaff, really almost every list I run I run bsb's as chaff. You get the blockers you need AND inspire. Honestly with range shooting not to worried most of the time due to them being def 5 and having regen. I roll with the trolls in the center and giants either on either side or both on one side. Speed 6 and 7 means I'll be in their face second turn most times. My 2nd game at the US masters was against a 190+ bows/lightning/breath weapon goblin list. The objective of the game was claiming table corners and middle. I had him in points killed but lost the game by simply a half inch otherwise I would have gotten a 19 to his 1 The wizard has bane chant on him so he stays with the trombones and is my aniti flier while rock lobbers are just in the back line doing their thing. Its a fun tough list that has lost very few times though I've only played it at Bayou battles and the US masters as far as tournaments go, otherwise just fun games with friends and practice. I'm trying to go the 2nd row in a year of taking a different race to every GT, not counting masters
                          Last edited by Bruute; 20-03-2017, 07:08 PM.

Comment

I do plan on doing a Troll and Mawbeast army...

Comment

Working...
                            X