Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2K first ever list against Undead

Hi,

After playing WHFB 8E for the last four years, we wanted to try out KOW.
    Bought myself a book and started army building.
    Is this a viable list and how would you play it?

Men-at-Arms(spear) - Horde(40)
    - Brew of Strength
    Men-at-Arms(spear) - Horde(40)
    - Brew of Courage

Elohi Regiment(3)
    Elohi Regiment(3)

Paladin Knights - Horde(20)
    - Chant of Hate

Sisterhood Panther Lancers - Troop(5)
    Sisterhood Panther Lancers - Troop(5)

Ur-Elohi

Phoenix
    Phoenix

What sort of undead list is he likely to run?

While potentially fun, I think in this sort of list you would be better of splitting up the knight horde. Similar your infantry, while individually decent, has nothing to support it or protect your flanks.

I note you are coming over from whfb so having big powerful units was very appealing - in KoW you need covering units/charge blockers/chaff. Even big hordes can die pretty quickly if hit in the side.
    Last edited by Sceleris; 07-12-2017, 07:39 PM.

Comment

It's his first game too so I do not know what to expect. The horde of knights feels like a steamroller. Better to go for the multi-charge?

Comment

With reference to your other thread about using Chant of Hate on a horde of cavalry, possibly Potion of the Caterpillar is better - then you can use forests to your advantage. I like your list, and would be interested to know if it works well for you - I am a phoenix fan, and have run 3 in a 2000 point army before, but reduced it to 2 when they died too easily. The Phoenix healing isn't a game-winner, but choosing who you heal (and how to use their flight/breath attack) is a skill.

Please let us know how well they do.

Comment

Be aware that your horde of knights will only be able to charge and kill one unit at a time.

A common counter would simply be for your opponent to move some cheap chaff unit in front of your horde of knights so you can only charge it, and when you do, your opponent will make sure that he has several high strength units ready to charge all together the knight horde (made easy with the very large front of the unit) so that they can kill in the charge (or at least waver it if possible)

Of course, it's possible to use the rest of your army to cover your knght horde, but as the horde is very expensive in points, this is not always very easy.

In short, using a knight horde can have some potential *if* you know what you are doing and accept the risk in exchange for the huge offensive power that it can bring, but it's still a high risk tactic, I would not recommand it for or against a player lacking experience with the game (with most rookie players, eitheir the horde will be neutralised easily or it will rampage unopposed, both will probably not result in a very fun game for any player)

Comment

Hmm, it might work too well...need to get my opponent hooked so I might tone it down a bit.

Comment

Well, first game ever played and we liked it. Going to play this instead of WHFB 8E just for the speed and simple rules.
              I must admit I got tabled in turn 5, ALL my units were dead.
              I had no synergy in my movements. The Phoenixes threw some fireballs but I used them as lone rangers. The Ur-Elohi got charged because of lousy deployment. The infantry hordes were doing quite well, my Paladin knights (20) were unable to hurt Mummies....really....

I do have the feeling that Undead are very strong. Defense 5 was the standard, Chrushing(1) and (2) were prevalent and I really underestimated shambling.
              SO fun but a disaster for the Basilean Empire

Comment

Originally posted by Rakkoon View Post
                SO fun but a disaster for the Basilean Empire
                That's not a bad place to be - fun first! Then you can look at what changes you might want to make. I must say I think that a horde of Paladin knights should have hurt the mummies, so perhaps it was just bad luck there, but I'm sure if you re-played the battle with some improvements you could do well - especially now that you know what shambling/surge can do.

Comment

We also forgot that shambling units cannot march so that will help me in the future. Looking at hordes of sisters, if the defense value is not important, I might as well hit hard. Some guy was using three warwizards as chaff and fireball spam, I like that too.

Comment

Glad you enjoyed it - it is a very fun game.

For future reference look to build your army in blocks and think how you'll deploy them.

Maybe a solid infantry centre with a horde, couple of regiments, something to screen them (infantry troops/light cab) and support (inspiring character, bit of shooting): Then say a fast wing (flyers, fast cav, again with inspiring if possible); Heavy hitting wing (knights, support units, character back up).

Doing this means you can have quite a disparate list but the separate blocks can work on their own.

Comment

Working...
                    X