Announcement

Collapse

FORUMS CLOSING

Hi everyone,

This is some advance warning that these forums will be closing shortly. The last day will be the 17th December 2018. We have noticed over the past couple of years that traffic on the forum and regular users have both decreased. As a result we’ve taken the difficult decision to close the forums. We’ll still be able to answer rules questions via social media and we’ll produce articles on the Mantic Blog too.

Many thanks to all of you for your contributions and conversations on the pages here. Special thanks are extended to the moderators who have kept things ticking over for us in the background.

If there is any content you wish to keep, please download and save it before the final closing date.
See more
See less

More rules questions

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• More rules questions

Getting ready for a Vangaurd game day tomorrow & have some questions. I know some of the answers seem like common sense, but I'd like a definitive answer for those rules lawyer-y types.

1) Is the figure nominated to build a group activation around considered the leader? It doesn't actually say that

2) Group activations say the models need to end movement within 3" of each other. Is that "all models must end with 3" of each other" or "each model must end 3" within at least one other model"?

3) In the Run/Charge/Melee activation, it says the model must take the most direct route only deviating from a straight line to avoid Impassable Terrain or friendlies. But it also says the model can't pass within 1" of an enemy. So does this mean the charging model can't go around an enemy if it's in the direct line to the target?

4) How do you take a Warband Nerve Test? The rules don't actually say. I assume you use the Nerve from the figure with the Command ability. But what if that figure is dead, or there are more than 1 Command model.

5) What type of action is Fallback? Short or long? It's similar to, but not the same as Run, but the description doesn't say whether or not a model can still have a regular activatation after Falling back.

6) I'm not understanding the last 2 bullets under Partially Blocked LOS. One refers to difficult terrain at least height 1. The other refers to the target being 3" or less within difficult terrain of equal or greater height. In what case would the "at least height 1" rule not be applicable but the "3" or less within" rule be applicable? It seems the only case would be a height 0 model in a height 0 difficult terrain.

Thanks

1. Yes, the nominated model is considered the leader for the group activation.

2. Each model must end within 3" of another model in the group activation, usually the leader (page 21)

3. Correct...Enemies would cause a problem

4. Each model in the warband takes Nerve test individually when they activate (that's a warband nerve test). (page 33)

5. A fallback is their entire activation. So, a long and then mark them as activated... effectively it is their activation for the turn. (page 33)

6. The two points reinforce each other. Any difficult terrain (such as a cornfield, which might be height 1 Difficult terrain, or a wood, which might be height ) would mean partial LOS. If they're more than 3" into difficult terrain of equal or greater height then the model (most models being height 2), there is no LOS. Up to 3" is partial LOS.

Comment

I have some as well, I will add here instead of a new thread.

1. Can you get the outnumbering bonus die when melee attacking a knocked down model? Technically, your helper would be unengaged.(i think)
      2. Can you shoot at a knocked down enemy that is engaged with a friendly?
      3. Can you shoot at a standing enemy that is engaged by your knocked down friendly?
      4. Does a spell gain an extra die for clear LOS , how about Mindstorm (no LOS needed)?
      5. Can I assume you can still do a short move after a melee attack that eliminates the enemy after your follow up move?
      6. How would you resolve firing into an engagement in a 3 player game? I realize that's beyond the scope of the rules at the moment.

Thanks

Comment

1. You can chose to engage a knocked down model. Thus, yes someone else could engage it and would be engaging it, granting the outnumbering bonus.

2. No, because they're engaged. Only the model engaging them can shoot them (which is a difference to the usual rules)

3. Yes, you may shoot them, as the knocked down model is not engaging them (See page 17 and the Knocked down box, page 23)

4. Spells are treated as shooting attacks, so yes. Even Mindstorm gains the bonus, if it has clear LoS (you just don't NEED LoS to cast it)

5. Yes. A Melee attack is a short action, so you'd have a short action left and could use it to move.

6. There are currently no rules for 3 player games so we cannot give you a definitive answer at this time. But this Question should be answered some time in the coming year... *hint hint*

Comment

Working...
        X