Announcement

Collapse

FORUMS CLOSING

Hi everyone,

This is some advance warning that these forums will be closing shortly. The last day will be the 17th December 2018. We have noticed over the past couple of years that traffic on the forum and regular users have both decreased. As a result we’ve taken the difficult decision to close the forums. We’ll still be able to answer rules questions via social media and we’ll produce articles on the Mantic Blog too.

Many thanks to all of you for your contributions and conversations on the pages here. Special thanks are extended to the moderators who have kept things ticking over for us in the background.

If there is any content you wish to keep, please download and save it before the final closing date.
See more
See less

Will we be able to buy just the cards for warbands?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Will we be able to buy just the cards for warbands?

Hey Vanguardians,

Apologies if I've missed it, as I've not been paying close attention... But it seems the rulebook doesn't have the unit stats for all the dudes currently available. I got tons of stuff in the KS, but since I play KoW with elves and undead, I didn't bother getting those two warbands, and thus don't have options for all the available elves and deadites.

Does anyone know of Mantic's plans to sell these unit card decks, or some other means to get the stats for those figures I don't have in the base rulebook?

Thanks in advance!

Currently, Mantic have no plans to release the cards separately from the models.

However the stats will be made available on EasyArmy with Mantics consent, sometime after initial release (might be a couple of months after initial release)

Comment

I think they maybe missing a trick for additional sales here, as there are lots of us older gamers with a collection of minis already that dont have the need for more plastic in the painting queue but would like the cards to play the game with.

Comment

Card (and book) sales DO NOT keep a miniature company in business - model sales do. So they are packaging the cards with the models. If this were any other company, I don't think there would be any discussion on this (nor would they release free stats for warbands they have not released specifically for the new game).
        Mantic Pathfinder for SW Ohio (Dayton)
        Because it is all fun and games . . . http://untilsomebodylosesaneye.net

Comment

And what about us that backed the KS and bought Starter armies for the other armies? I bought a Trident Realms Starter warband for example. Do i suddenly have to purchase that same warband again to get the cards? That doesn't seem fair if I'm honest.

Tales of a Stranded Ghekkotah - Salamander Battle Reports

Odes and Sonnets from an outcast Troubadour - Brotherhood Battle Reports

KoW Painting Blog

Youtube Channel

Comment

The starter warband rules will be published on the mantic website.

Should there be a new Trident Realms release, then these rules would be available with the models or later at easyarmy.com .

Comment

Originally posted by TheD View Post
              The starter warband rules will be published on the mantic website.

Should there be a new Trident Realms release, then these rules would be available with the models or later at easyarmy.com .
              I know, I have the book. But I want cards, it's easier and better to play.

why would I have to buy another warband to get them? That's ridiculous

KoW Painting Blog

Youtube Channel

Comment

By the time the starter warbands for the other armies show up they will have new cool options/models that will make you want to buy them I think is the plan.
                Dungeon Saga Content: Unofficial FAQ, Mission Reviews, QuickStart Character Creation Guide, Expanded AI Rules, Pre Made Bosses

http://twilight40k.blogspot.com/p/so...-saga-ind.html

Comment

Originally posted by eriochrome View Post
                  By the time the starter warbands for the other armies show up they will have new cool options/models that will make you want to buy them I think is the plan.
                  We'll see. I trust Mantic will make the right decision.

KoW Painting Blog

Youtube Channel

Comment

I believe all the armies that Mantic makes will eventually get their own Vanguard starter / booster with new models in it, and all the cards for the faction. The warband deals on the KS never said they would include cards, and at this point I'm not sure that all the cards for all the armies are even done yet. If you don't want to spend any more, the stats will eventually be on easyarmy.

Or you could actually support the company by buying the new releases for the armies you play - as their business is selling models after all.

Comment

Once you start a game requiring both card and minis, your business now is semling both cards and minis.
                      Privateer press release yearly faction deck to provides players with updated, balanced and FAQed rules for Warmachine and Horde. This don't feel like a loss.
                      In fact allowing players to spend a few money to get pretty card every years feels line a win/win balance. I may be wrong, but I dln't think so.

Selling the card alone would allow more people to play the game. Now, make sure every tournament has a painting prize reserved to Mantic warband, and most of all, fill your shop with great miniatures and you will sell them. Did I mention that the vanguard miniatures are awesome ?
                      Almost Daily Baldy Worded Hobby Progress.

Comment

The problem is, just how many models/sculpts can mantic come out with?
                        Just how many new books/cards can they make for entirely new units?

Books and cards are, for most people, a one off investment which makes for a limited profit margin for the company.
                        Remembering that Mantic are first and foremost, a miniature company...their aim is to sell miniatures. That's where they make their profits. (and they often offer their rulebooks for free or half price - Now some people might say they should stop doing that as they don't mind paying for the rules, I refer you to the above "one off purchase")
                        If Mantic sell a book for £25 and lets give them a 150% profit margin on a book...(so costs them £10)...and they sell 10,000 books....then they've made £150,000 (before tax)...which has to pay the staff. That might pay 3 to 5 people. Great, how do they pay the other 15 employees? Or have materials and investment to make models?

Many people come into KoW from other fantasy wargames and have existing models. Mantic were nice enough to say that yes, they have no problem with people using them...but you can't blame them if, eventually, they want to start selling more of their own models and trying to coax and influence people into buying them. They have to, to stay in business and continue producing the games that we obviously enjoy. If they give you a way to use all your existing models for a single, low, one off payment, they're not going to sell any new models (or very few) and won't stay viable in business for very long.

Comment

The difference between WarmaHordes and KoW:V is Privateer does not allow other peoples minis in their events. So the cards are only for existing miniatures - supporting what they have already sold or will sell. As long as Mantic allows other miniatures in Vanguard (or Kings of War), then selling just the cards is supporting the purchases made for other peoples minis, not their own. Just look at how many people are using their old Warhammer miniatures for the game - and while having players is great - turning them into paying CUSTOMERS is even better. At the end of the day a player that does not buy anything contributes nothing to the bottom line.

If you want new and supported rules and miniatures and games, you must be willing to pay for them. Pretty simple equation.

Comment

Originally posted by Pancakeonions View Post
                            Hey Vanguardians,

Apologies if I've missed it, as I've not been paying close attention... But it seems the rulebook doesn't have the unit stats for all the dudes currently available. I got tons of stuff in the KS, but since I play KoW with elves and undead, I didn't bother getting those two warbands, and thus don't have options for all the available elves and deadites...
                            Afaik, the only warbands with unit cards are the four released with the game, Abyssals, Basileans, Nightstalkers and Northern Alliance. All the other factions have only the entries published online in the free rules section of the Mantic website, which by now contain two more than the printed rulebook, and will be updated further. So you did not miss out on any options for Elves and Undead. The latter are supposed to see a warband release next year, along with Dwarfs, Goblins and maybe Forces of Nature + Tident Realm of Neritica. This is according to the Mantic blog

That would leave five of the 14 factions Mantic is currently releasing models for, so Elves might have to wait until 2020, along with Abyssal Dwarfs, Empire of Dust, Ogres and Orcs.

Comment

Originally posted by puggimer View Post
                              Just look at how many people are using their old Warhammer miniatures for the game - and while having players is great - turning them into paying CUSTOMERS is even better. At the end of the day a player that does not buy anything contributes nothing to the bottom line.
                              I started to play KOW as a previous ratkin player. I would not have started the game without being able to test it before. Still one year later, tired of always playing my old warhammer miniatures, I bought a full Neretican army (2 mega army box + some other box). Add to this some more books, tools, etc bough since I have started to play KOW and you got a fair amount of money spent in mantic product only because I was allowed to get into tje game whitout a huge initial bill.

This remain true for vanguard. I have a full ratkin army, obviously not provided by mantic, and now a neretican army. If I'm able to test vanguard and feel it's a fun game, I would then consider to buy some faction starter (I really enjoy the demon miniatures). However, my painting queue is as full as anyone else queue : I could easely stop to buy miniatures for the next ten years if I would have to paint all the models I own. So yes, I clearly need a way to test the game for cheap, and a 10/15£ card pack allowing me to play my trident model in vanguard would be an acceptable bill.

Finally, I feel like allowing to play other manufacturer miniatures was a really good idea because it allowed to add many faction to kow, while not providing model for them yet. And I think the game really missed uncharted empire armies, in term of gameplay diversity.
                              Almost Daily Baldy Worded Hobby Progress.

Comment

Working...
                              X