NS Vanguard List

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NS Vanguard List

After buying the NS set and booster, I have played a number of games and lost badly on each one. OK, my dice rolls are bad and I am not the most tactically gifted, but beyond my own failings, my stalkers just seem very squishy and underpowered. Has anyone had any success with this war-band? If you have, please let me know what list you use and how to get the best out of this faction? It would be much appreciated.

I am still before my first game but my general observstion is that NS have weaker units than other factions. Like Horrors. What is out biggest adventage is Dread similar effects that turns enemy units off for a turn.

I will also use spellcaster a lot. 3 spells a turn is Massive! Lightining Bolt, Fear of the Dark and maby firebolt on 4+ shooting is great.

Fear of Darkness is also good combined with flyers that can attack a target even from behind an obstscle. Knocked down models are easier to kill.

​​​

Comment

We now played several games since release and have 10 factions play ready.
      But the Nightstalkers seem to be the weakest of them all.
      They read as a control warband. But you are not able to use all the abilities you would need to get them to work.
      Since if you had a average throw on the power dice they will not be enough.

Comment

How many power dice You usually have? And with what lists?
        Last edited by MiSiO; 12-11-2018, 05:45 PM.

Comment

It all depends what you are going to do with your Warband. But I think on avarage I had 4 Power to spend per round.

Comment

Thanks for your replies. My list changes after every couple of games. I have concluded that the Scarecrows are to be avoided in the lists. They don't kill anything and die at an alarming rate, which hastens my unit count down to 50% way too early in the game.
            I tried a list last night with only 1 Scarecrow (which got shot and killed in turn 1), more warriors and heavier use of magic. I didn't win, but it was a much, much closer game. I'm liking the Shade, but I have not used the Mindscreetch yet.
            I was wondering if anyone had found a good way to use them yet? or got a reliable warband list?
            My trial an error process is slow going. I'm glad to know that I am not the only one to find the Nightstalkers a little underpowered in this game.

Comment

Also not got them to work until now.
              I think you have to try to control the enemy via the Warband rule but it didn't work out for the moment, I had to fight only agressive warbands jet.
              But also just from reading the the NS seem to be weaker than the other warbands.
              Stealthy for Nightstalkers is really nice to have but I only faced whole melee warbands to this point.

Comment

Nightstalkers seem to do well enough against my shooty Basileans. Scarecrows are scary when group attacking, otherwise they are not a concern.

Comment

I think I have finally settled on a list. Let me know what you think:
                  3 Phantoms (42 pts)
                  1 Horror (12 pts)
                  3 Spectres (42 pts)
                  1 Butcher (33 pts)
                  1 Mind-Screetch (31 pts)
                  1 Shade (40 pts)

No special items, just as they come.

Comment

Originally posted by MVCD View Post
                    I think I have finally settled on a list. Let me know what you think:
                    3 Phantoms (42 pts)
                    1 Horror (12 pts)
                    3 Spectres (42 pts)
                    1 Butcher (33 pts)
                    1 Mind-Screetch (31 pts)
                    1 Shade (40 pts)

No special items, just as they come.
                    Can't use the Butcher and the Mind-Screetch on the same list. Only one Large model allowed in 200 points, sorry
                    Tales of a Stranded Ghekkotah - Salamander Battle Reports

Odes and Sonnets from an outcast Troubadour - Brotherhood Battle Reports

KoW Painting Blog

Youtube Channel

Comment

Originally posted by El_Guardian View Post

Can't use the Butcher and the Mind-Screetch on the same list. Only one Large model allowed in 200 points, sorry
                      Of Course!!! That was silly of me. I'll draw a new list. Mind-Screetch over the Butcher.

Comment

Phantom x3 (42 pts)
                        Horror x1 (12 pts)
                        Spectre x2 (28 pts)
                        Reaper x3 (48 pts)
                        Mind-Screetch (31 pts)
                        Banshee (39 pts)

Comment

Originally posted by MVCD View Post
                          Phantom x3 (42 pts)
                          Horror x1 (12 pts)
                          Spectre x2 (28 pts)
                          Reaper x3 (48 pts)
                          Mind-Screetch (31 pts)
                          Banshee (39 pts)

Yeah Mind-Screech over Butcher any day of the week. I much prefer the shade over the Banshee, only benefit of the Banshee is that juicy blue die, her ability is useless, but sometimes you don't have enough points. I also don't like the Horror, I would probably swap him for Needlefangs and use that extra point to take the shade.
                          Tales of a Stranded Ghekkotah - Salamander Battle Reports

Odes and Sonnets from an outcast Troubadour - Brotherhood Battle Reports

KoW Painting Blog

Youtube Channel

Comment

Working...
                          X