Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vanguard FAQ

Hi,

this is the start of a FAQ for Vanguard.

Iīll collect all questions and answers from the rules guys in the first post.

FAQ

1. General

p.6 of the free rulebook mentions that "Warband stat cards are available", and this one image seems quite cool indeed. But where are those cards? Not on the store. So where can we get them?

Cards will be sold with the models, in the faction starters and boosters.

So them, are we to understand that the hardcopy rulebook launching Oct 22nd will contain full army lists with legendary characters too? Or will that come in some expansion?

The Hard-copy rulebook has the same basic lists as the PDF's. Full lists (the cards) will be released with the models in the starters and boosters and as more armies are launched. There will be mercenaries (a few in the Kickstarter) and named, legendary characters, but these will likely come in a future expansion. There just wasn't room for them in the main book!

2. Rules

Do modifiers from spells stack? For example if a Greatax is within 2 Necromancers each with an active Curse of Ages spell, does the Greatax have a -1 or -2 modifier on his melee attacks?

Although we haven't covered modifiers from spells specifically, general precedent is that modifiers from sources with the same name/ability DO NOT stack (case in point, the Succubus "Fatal Attraction" ability found on all Succubus models). Essentially I think we're going with Abilities from the same source (or with the same name) do not stack unless they specifically say they do.

Do I understand it correct that as long as an Abyssal Warband includes a Succubus Lurker on the field, every enemy model suffers a -1 modifier on his melee attack if within a modell of the Abyssal Warband? I guess itīs just meant to be the Succubus Lurker, but right now it could mean both variants.

No, only those within 3" of the Succubus (of what ever type).

What's with the faction specific spells? For each faction, there's a few that are faction specific, but looking into the lists, I haven't seen any spellcaster to use a spell specific to that faction. Are we missing some heroic models here? There is mention of unique legendary characters you can only enlist once in your warband, but then again, there's no such model in any faction list (fingers crossed for Ilona!).

Faction specific spells can be taken by spell casters of that faction by either swapping out an existing spell, or paying extra to take them. They can also learn them during campaign play.

So I start with these 2 questions:

1) Do modifiers from spells stack? For example if a Greatax is within 2 Necromancers each with an active Curse of Ages spell, does the Greatax have a -1 or -2 modifier on his melee attacks?

2) Do I understand it correct that as long as an Abyssal Warband includes a Succubus Lurker on the field, every enemy model suffers a -1 modifier on his melee attack if within a modell of the Abyssal Warband? I guess itīs just meant to be the Succubus Lurker, but right now it could mean both variants.
    Last edited by TheD; Yesterday, 08:21 AM.

No.2 at least I can answer: No, they only suffer the -1 to melee while within 3" of the Lurker (which will also apply for the regular Sucubbi and the Seductress...when their rules come out with the kickstarter/faction packs )
    Last edited by PrinceClark; 11-10-2018, 08:13 PM. Reason: Clarification

Comment

2 is a strange thing English does sometimes, some extra punctuation could have helped.
      The ambiguity comes from the subject being either "model in a warban" or "warband" (which has that model in). Frankly, it is obvious which side of the minor ambiguity is meant if one applies any thought to it.

Comment

Very excited about Vanguard! However after reading the free rules and checking out the webstore, I have three questions.

1) p.6 of the free rulebook mentions that "Warband stat cards are available", and this one image seems quite cool indeed. But where are those cards? Not on the store. So where can we get them?
        2) What's with the faction specific spells? For each faction, there's a few that are faction specific, but looking into the lists, I haven't seen any spellcaster to use a spell specific to that faction. Are we missing some heroic models here? There is mention of unique legendary characters you can only enlist once in your warband, but then again, there's no such model in any faction list (fingers crossed for Ilona!).
        3) So them, are we to understand that the hardcopy rulebook launching Oct 22nd will contain full army lists with legendary characters too? Or will that come in some expansion?

On a sidenote, do you know if there are going to be online warband creators for Vanguard, like with Easy Army?

Cheers!

Comment

1. Cards will be sold with the models, in the faction starters and boosters.

2. Faction specific spells can be taken by spell casters of that faction by either swapping out an existing spell, or paying extra to take them. They can also learn them during campaign play.

3. The Hard-copy rulebook has the same basic lists as the PDF's. Full lists (the cards) will be released with the models in the starters and boosters and as more armies are launched. There will be mercenaries (a few in the Kickstarter) and named, legendary characters, but these will likely come in a future expansion. There just wasn't room for them in the main book!

And yes...Vanguard will be fully supported with an online warband creator like Easy Army. 100%.

Comment

Thanks for the clarifications PrinceClark, that's much appreciated.

Comment

Originally posted by TheD View Post
              So I start with these 2 questions:

1) Do modifiers from spells stack? For example if a Greatax is within 2 Necromancers each with an active Curse of Ages spell, does the Greatax have a -1 or -2 modifier on his melee attacks?

2) Do I understand it correct that as long as an Abyssal Warband includes a Succubus Lurker on the field, every enemy model suffers a -1 modifier on his melee attack if within a modell of the Abyssal Warband? I guess itīs just meant to be the Succubus Lurker, but right now it could mean both variants.

1. Although we haven't covered modifiers from spells specifically, general precedent is that modifiers from sources with the same name/ability DO NOT stack (case in point, the Succubus "Fatal Attraction" ability found on all Succubus models). Essentially I think we're going with Abilities from the same source (or with the same name) do not stack unless they specifically say they do.

2. No, only those within 3" of the Succubus (of what ever type)

Comment

Thanks for the answers, although I liked having a -3 to hit bubble around some undead guys.

Comment

Working...
                X