Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Psychology

Iím missing it.
    All the yellow-bellied, fear and terror rules. Basically there is happening nothing with psychology until the warband is broken and then all of the sudden its membersí surviving instinct starts coming back to them.
    Why?
    Will it change?
    Iíd like it toÖ

Quick answer: In the current Rule set: No
    It would be a huge change that there is now no time to implement, as it would require extensive re-writes of the rules and the army lists.

longer answer: There is something like psychology with the Nightstalkers. However, I can see your point and understand it. A Grunt charging a troll should probably fear for their life.... some creatures are just scary and terrifying, and some others are just cowards. Maybe it's something we'll look at in a future expansion. But, it might require a significant mechanics change (though it would make the Nerve stat more useful...which is a plus point IMO). Also it would need lots of balancing. Psychology like that can be very unbalancing in a Skirmish sized game, so have to be very careful with it (most Large creatures are already scary enough!). Again, it's something I can see us looking at in the future, but as of now, it won't be in the rules at launch.

Comment

Yes, special rules like this would be one take on psychology, and things like fleeing and rallying another one. The latter one would be a case for the main rules, special rules for the unit lists accordingly.
      Every change needs balancing, ofc. A yellow-bellied goblin unit could be introduced quite easily, but a main rules mechanic not so.
      In any case, I agree that the Nv value would benefit (not only in terms of usefulness) from an application of this kind.

And yes, I am regretting already very much, that I started looking at Vanguard more closely and commenting it here so late. As I wrote in the Twilight Elves thread below, I was missing an opportunity for testing before.
      How many are you that no one suggested it before? I mean, there are similar mechanics in KoW and almost any predecessor (in being a Skirmish) of Vanguard.

Comment

Well fleeing and rallying are part of the warband breaking and nerve tests as it is, just by another name.So that is fleeing and rallying of sort. Just not en mass like you'd see with units in a larger game.

I do think large creatures and cowardly creatures would benefit from something like it though..but they had to be balanced anyway.

As for how many of us...the Rules Committee is 5 strong...and the design staff all of like 3 :P

Comment

Originally posted by PrinceClark View Post
          Well fleeing and rallying are part of the warband breaking and nerve tests as it is, just by another name.So that is fleeing and rallying of sort. Just not en mass like you'd see with units in a larger game.
          You are speaking only of the effect after the warband breaks, right? Because it appears to me, at this point the match is almost decided (for just this reason), but psychology has too little space in the important phases of the game, i.e. about all the time before this happens.

Ofc. I see where the idea for this behaviour is coming from, namely if one regards a warband as a regiment in a larger game, it doesnít break until it does. But there are obvious points where this comparison stops fitting...

And yes, cowardly and frightening creatures should be a thing too, itís just... another thing.

Comment

Working...
          X