No announcement yet.

Army weakness

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I threw together a kind of SWOT analysis for all the armies. It is done from a toolbox perspective, meaning I looked at what "tools" each army has access to, in eight different categories (explained below).

Of course, this does NOT give the whole picture. There are other things to consider as well, that are inherent strength or weaknesses with each army.

I should also say that some of this is purely theoretical. There are no Trident Realms, Rhordia or Abyssal Dwarf players in my area, for example, so I have never seen those armies played.

Chaff (1)
    Cheap sacrificial units. To earn a green, they also need to be highly mobile.

Anvil (2)
    Cost efficient units to block your opponent's path or set up charges.

Grind (3)
    Front line units that are designed to win a prolonged melee. Differs from anvils in that they can do some damage.

Hammer (4)
    Primarily damage dealers. This is the only category with no red boxes, since all armies have decent hammer units. But to earn a green you need one of the true hard-hitters.

Flying/Nimble (5)
    Highly mobile units with some damage potential, although not necessarily at "hammer" level. The units that will earn a green here are: Lycans, Werewolves, The Fallen, Drakon Riders and Elohi.

Shooting (6)
    Damage at range. Includes breath attacks and spells that deal damage.

Support units (7)
    This is the most loosely defined category. Heal and Bane-chant are the two most common support functions.
    Inspiring falls here as well, which is why Night Stalkers have a red. I know some will argue against this, but in my opinion, giving your enemy the ability to control when you are inspired and when you are not is a huge drawback.

Combat monsters/heroes (8)
    Dragon type heroes and monsters with a good damage output. Does not include individuals, as I consider them support units, even when they are combat oriented.
    Last edited by Rapax; 31-08-2018, 02:52 PM.

Comment

I sunno earth elementals with forces of nature or salamanders or ensanrers are great anvils. Brotherhood have fast light cavalry chaff. I guess i dont understand your definitions.

Comment

Originally posted by Bradsterius View Post
        I sunno earth elementals with forces of nature or salamanders or ensanrers are great anvils. Brotherhood have fast light cavalry chaff. I guess i dont understand your definitions.
        I know, the definitions are not crystal clear.

Maybe I should have used a different word than 'anvil'. What I mean is a cheap unit that takes more than one turn for the enemy to chew through (unless they put considerable resources into taking it off). So that would be Skeletons, Zombies, Larvae, Scarecrows, Militia Mob, Thralls, Slave Orcs, etc. 200+ points is not a cheap unit. Those would fall into the 'grind' category. And, as you can see, Forces of Nature has a green box there.

As for chaff, let me give you a few examples.
        Brotherhood has a speed 9 and nimble unit for 100 points. Kingdoms of Men (who has a yellow box) has a speed 9 and nimble unit that also performs a secondary role (shooting) for the same price (and with upgrade options). The Herd (green box) has a speed 10 and nimble unit for 70 points and a speed 10 flying unit for 90 points.
        Last edited by Rapax; 31-08-2018, 09:53 PM.

Comment

Yep totally understand now. I figured I was missing the boat someplace for sure.

Comment

Rapax I both like and dislike these charts because they are opinion based.

For instance, Abyssal dwarves lacking range 24+ shooting that isnt artillery means they'll never be more than a B in my book. Whereas Ratkins ample access to volumes of highly accurate and High Piercing Shots, easily puts them in the A category

Kingdoms of men have access to some of the cheapest and fastest chaff in the game in the form of mounted heroes and militia mobs, easily an A there.

EoD has AT LEAST par shooting with ogres. Guardian Archers, Skeli Archers (who are tougher than their human counterparts), Skeli Crossbows, Catapults, A monster with a ballista, one of the best fireballs in the game, Chariots, And an Army unique that gives +2 dice to all spells? Easily a B with an argument for an A-

Im curious what you define "True heavy hitter" as, because all 3 factions with access to hordes of knights aren't listed as A, and nothing in the game hits harder than a horde of knights.

Comment

Originally posted by Mathusala0 View Post
              Rapax
              Im curious what you define "True heavy hitter" as, because all 3 factions with access to hordes of knights aren't listed as A, and nothing in the game hits harder than a horde of knights.
              Theoretically, yes. Practically, the width of 25cm is so much that you'll never get this horde of knights where you want it. Hordes of cavalry suck big time for dealing damage to the units you want damaged. Then again they are not that expensive compared to many large cavalry for their amount of nerve. I have used my horde of (KoM/Brotherhood) knights as a very good anvil. As a hammer - no way.
              Last edited by Vince1248; 13-09-2018, 08:55 AM. Reason: typo

Comment

As was mentioned above the 'anvil' moniker is probably slightly misleading (since the description fits my definition of infantry chaff). Real anvil units are those that sit there and don't die in combat. Probably chaff & fast chaff (which are really two different concepts) have been shoehorned into one?

Its always worth a debate though.

Comment

Scleris, if Iím reading you right you are perhaps trying to differentiate between anvils and tarpits. Traditionally in wargames anvils are like your orc ax or salamander primes - good defense, hard to move, and punch back. Tarpits are your ratkin slaves, zombies, etc. **** defense, not much punch, but they throw bodies/cheap nerve at a problem to tie things down.

Comment

Rapax
                    For instance, Abyssal dwarves lacking range 24+ shooting that isnt artillery means they'll never be more than a B in my book. Whereas Ratkins ample access to volumes of highly accurate and High Piercing Shots, easily puts them in the A category
                    I do think Abyssal Dwarves should be a green. Like I said, I haven't played with or against them, but from what I have seen, Heavy Mortars, Dragon Fire Teams and Decimators seem to be pretty widely used (which is typically a sign that they are good).

You might be right about Ratkin, though. Maybe I should change them to a green.

Rapax
                    Kingdoms of men have access to some of the cheapest and fastest chaff in the game in the form of mounted heroes and militia mobs, easily an A there.
                    Militia Mobs are cheap, yes, but not very maneuverable. Mounted Heroes are, but require unlocks. That might be a smaller problem for KoM than for most other armies, but I judged them on the same basis as the Pegasus (which is also amazing chaff, but limited in its usefulness because it's a hero). Anyway, they are not Gargoyle/Harpy/Beast Pack level chaff.

Rapax
                    EoD has AT LEAST par shooting with ogres. Guardian Archers, Skeli Archers (who are tougher than their human counterparts), Skeli Crossbows, Catapults, A monster with a ballista, one of the best fireballs in the game, Chariots, And an Army unique that gives +2 dice to all spells? Easily a B with an argument for an A-
                    I respectfully disagree. I don't consider Archers, Crossbowmen or Catapults to be very good shooting. Absolutely not worthy of a green box. Neither is the ballista on the Reanimated Behemoth (which itself is inferior to the Bone Giant).

The Fireball on the Priest is not that impressive, and most of the time he will be surging or healing anyway. That might be a matter of playstyle, though.

For the Chariots, their shooting attacks are a nice little bonus, but hardly their main purpose.

Guardian Archers are on par with Ogre Shooters, sure. But Ogres also have Boomers and Boomer Sergeants.

Rapax
                    I define a "true hard hitter" as a fast unit with a narrow frontage and a good chance of taking out a typical horde of large infantry (def 5+, rout 17) in a single charge. The units that qualify are; Ancients on Rhinosaurs, Stampede, Honour Guard, Ogre Chariots, Soul Reaver Cavalry and Mounted Sons of Korgaan. Ancients on Rhinosaurs may or may not belong on the list, but I kept them for the sake of giving Salamanders a green box and because they have an edge over the others against def 6 heavy armies.

Like Vince1248 has already pointed out, a wide frontage means you are much less likely to get them into combat with their intended target. That is why Knights hordes don't qualify. They belong in a category of their own, possibly together with Ogre Warriors legions.
                    Last edited by Rapax; 17-09-2018, 01:01 AM.

Comment

Working...
                    X