Announcement

Collapse

FORUMS CLOSING

Hi everyone,

This is some advance warning that these forums will be closing shortly. The last day will be the 17th December 2018. We have noticed over the past couple of years that traffic on the forum and regular users have both decreased. As a result we’ve taken the difficult decision to close the forums. We’ll still be able to answer rules questions via social media and we’ll produce articles on the Mantic Blog too.

Many thanks to all of you for your contributions and conversations on the pages here. Special thanks are extended to the moderators who have kept things ticking over for us in the background.

If there is any content you wish to keep, please download and save it before the final closing date.
See more
See less

Announcing the release of Tetra Firma!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Announcing the release of Tetra Firma!

Announcing the third full release for Ironwatch Games, we’re proud to bring you Tetra Firma, from the mind of Christopher Binetti!
    cover_smol.png?w=768.png

Featuring a brand-new setting, this expansion for Kings of War adds a host of new special rules, a robust and deep magic system, and 30 new factions you can mix and match to create unique and varied armies to battle in this fantasy-historical setting. Will you wield the werewolf and peasant militias of the Vlachan or Euphrasian forces, or the combined forces of malignant and benign undead in the Nethercropolis and Numantian sub-factions of the Necromancer Guilds? Maybe it might even be the right time to unleash some Battle Sloths upon your foes...

Featuring custom cover art from Boris Samec, this robust expansion offers tons of new variety to help spice up your Kings of War games, and a brand-new and detailed setting to explore!

Google Docs High Resolution

Scribd High Resolution

Dropbox Low Resolution

Lulu Print Hard Copy

Happy gaming!
    The Ironwatch Magazine

My personal blog

I think you need to sell this a bit more - there are some big differences that aren't talked about or explained. Like the fact there is only one unit size used, or General bonuses. How does it play compared to KoW? And why should I bother learning a new set of rules, especially if I need to rebase war engines? Battle reports and video introductions would be great too.

It also needs a thorough proof-reading. Characters have wounds not nerve - this is not explained anywhere. There are special rules not used - like Monstrous Troop, and special rules referenced but not explained, like Evil Dead.

The order things are presented could be more newby friendly too. The fluff is one block of text - that makes it very hard to look up what a faction is like. Please consider headings at least, or better still put the fluff for each faction at the start of the army list. The demographic data would be more interesting if there were sections where you could look up what the things are. Army restrictions should be at the start of the lists too. A list of sub-factions at the start of each list would be good too.

Comment

Out of curiosity, why Tetra? Firm Four doesn't mean anything to me, is their a story behind the name?

Comment

Originally posted by Fyrax. View Post
        I think you need to sell this a bit more - there are some big differences that aren't talked about or explained. Like the fact there is only one unit size used, or General bonuses. How does it play compared to KoW? And why should I bother learning a new set of rules, especially if I need to rebase war engines? Battle reports and video introductions would be great too.
        Thank you for the feedback!

This was actually a fan submission, and while I did layout and editing, I haven't had a chance to sit down to a game of Tetra Firma yet (or any wargames for a while now due to life being busy), so the game is going off of the playtests and edits by Christopher before he submitted it to us. I haven't been able to put out more marketing/promotional materials simply because I've not had the time, unfortunately!

It also needs a thorough proof-reading. Characters have wounds not nerve - this is not explained anywhere.
        Crap, I knew I missed something >.< I forgot to add in a special rule per Christopher's wounds rule: "Wounds: Units with Wounds instead of Nerve do not take Nerve tests, and instead always count as Steady for any Nerve test they would need to take. Instead, when they accumulate damage equal or greater than the number of Wounds they have, they immediately Rout."

There are special rules not used - like Monstrous Troop, and special rules referenced but not explained, like Evil Dead.
        Monstrous Troops was a signifier for certain unit types (such as Infantry or Cavalry, they might instead be Monstrous Troops). Evil Dead should have been updated, and this was my oversight as this was the old KoW v1.0 name for the current Lifeleech.

The order things are presented could be more newby friendly too. The fluff is one block of text - that makes it very hard to look up what a faction is like. Please consider headings at least, or better still put the fluff for each faction at the start of the army list. The demographic data would be more interesting if there were sections where you could look up what the things are. Army restrictions should be at the start of the lists too. A list of sub-factions at the start of each list would be good too.
        These are great ideas. I did my best to try and update the background information Christopher provided into a more reading-friendly narrative, but I agree that dividing it into the appropriate factions and/or sub-factions would make it a bit easier to parse the flavor of a given faction and/or subfaction.

I'll definitely be adding an Errata to help resolve the Wounds and similar rules issues, and I'll talk to Christopher to see if he would be able to help write background sections more tailored to each faction and subfaction instead of a single long history section.

Thank you again for the feedback!
        The Ironwatch Magazine

My personal blog

Comment

Originally posted by pinkymadigan View Post
          Out of curiosity, why Tetra? Firm Four doesn't mean anything to me, is their a story behind the name?
          Tetra Firma was a play on the term 'terra firma,' and also as a reference to the four major continents that form the setting.
          The Ironwatch Magazine

My personal blog

Comment

Working...
          X