Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

4x4 Table, what are the ideal size games?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 4x4 Table, what are the ideal size games?

Hey Gamers,

I'm going to acquire a 4x4 table due to a few factors; space, time and I want to play multiple games in one night.

I was thinking 1500 - 1750 points would be alright for a smaller table, can I go larger? please let me know what you think about this.

Thanks

I would say around 1250 would be the absolute limit to play in a 4x4.
    Tales of a Stranded Ghekkotah - Salamander Battle Reports

Odes and Sonnets from an outcast Troubadour - Brotherhood Battle Reports

KoW Painting Blog

Youtube Channel

Comment

1500 is fine.

Comment

Damn, maybe I'll have to go with a 6x4 table after all.

Comment

1500 will fit BUT the problem is you will have almost no room for maneuvering, and the games will be boring IMO, we almost always play 1500 here and I really can't see us playing in a 4x4. I've played a lot of small games in 4x4 and I do think the sweet spot is around the 1000 - 1250 mark depending on your personal preferences.

More than 1500 is impossible.

KoW Painting Blog

Youtube Channel

Comment

Imagining a Ratkin 2500pt force.
            Wave after wave after wave of rats.
            Beautiful

Comment

Rakkoon hehehe There's something to be said for endless waves of troops.

@OP: We usually play 1,500 points at 4x4 tables; but there's little room for manouvring when one player takes a horde army. In these cramped situations units like fliers or fast cavalry lose a bit of their charm. If you were to give these units their worth, I'd limit to 1,000 or 1,250 or so.

that said, if both players use elite armies, even 1,800 is doable. To illustrate: 1,500 points is 4 hordes +1 reg of human infantry + 3 units of (flying) allies + plenty support characters (https://www.mantic.club/forum/kings-...ms-of-men-1500)

It's also 3 regiments of wraiths, a horde of werewolves, 2 flying wyrm revenant kings and a lich king.

The first amy is absolutely unplayable on 4x4 (or if you would play it, it would be in its own way too often), the 2nd army has ample room to manouvre.

What I did: I split up my table into three 2'x4' boards. These store well (I put them behind the ladder in the shed) and I can put them on my normal table to make a gaming table. If I'm using a smaller force, I do 4x4, otherwise I increase to 6x4.

My brother did likewise, so if we're to host a tournament we can use our 2 tables as 6x4 each. We can also combine our 2 tables into three 4x4 tables. Works like a charm!

Comment

It's really a matter of knowing your field. If you are trying to take 20 drops on a 4 x 4, you're doing it wrong (or maybe you are doing it right and on to something none of us know about). You could play a 2000 point game on a 4 x 4 just fine if both players wanted to take super elite armies. Undead can do a 1000 point wing with 4 drops - Vampire formation + Ilona. You can do it in even less drops I'm sure, that's just the first example to spring to mind.

It might be a fun side game to intentionally play on a smaller field knowing you have less maneuvering room.

I just whipped up a 7 drop 2k Basilean army in EasyArmy, it's pretty easy to make an elite army for just such a table.
                Last edited by pinkymadigan; 14-06-2018, 02:33 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by El_Guardian View Post
                  I've played a lot of small games in 4x4 and I do think the sweet spot is around the 1000 - 1250 mark depending on your personal preferences.

More than 1500 is impossible.
                  I wouldn't normally go with 'absolute' and 'impossible', but I have to agree. it's not just the manoeuvring, it's what pinkymadigan just said: you are limited to building small,, elite units, rather than the wide range that KoW offers.

Comment

Originally posted by Peter Cooper View Post

I wouldn't normally go with 'absolute' and 'impossible', but I have to agree. it's not just the manoeuvring, it's what pinkymadigan just said: you are limited to building small,, elite units, rather than the wide range that KoW offers.
                    Yeah I agree, absolute terms are usually wrong of course. But the game is all about two things, movement phase and flexibility in list building. Using a smaller table than what's optimal hurts both.

That being said, nothing is really imposible.

KoW Painting Blog

Youtube Channel

Comment

Originally posted by El_Guardian View Post

That being said, nothing is really imposible.
                      4,000 points Ratkin army with 1000 points of goblins as allies on a 4'x4' table?

Comment

Ooh interesting proposal. Now I'm off to make a spreadsheet that will give me points per square mm and determine what the most space efficient rat and goblin units are.

Comment

Originally posted by Peter Cooper View Post

4,000 points Ratkin army with 1000 points of goblins as allies on a 4'x4' table?
                          Okay, assuming deployment zones are clear, this isn't hard to do at all, actually.

The most space efficient unlocking unit for the rats is a Reg of Brutes, at .023958 points per square mm.
                          12 of these cost 1380, and take up 57,600 mm2.
                          Our deployment zone has 371,612.2mm2.

You can kit out 6 Warlocks and 6 Blight Lords to max spell capacity for 230 points and 205 points, respectively, giving them a pt/sq mm of .368 and .328. These 12 characters take us up to 3990, no items. Meaning, we can play with items easily to drop our footprint further.

An allied goblin attachment should be able to find similar options, plenty of space left. Especially if we just went through and assigned expensive items to our rats first.

SO, if we want impossible, we need to think bigger points, I think.

Comment

Originally posted by pinkymadigan View Post

Okay, assuming deployment zones are clear, this isn't hard to do at all, actually.

The most space efficient unlocking unit for the rats is a Reg of Brutes, at .023958 points per square mm.
                            12 of these cost 1380, and take up 57,600 mm2.
                            Our deployment zone has 371,612.2mm2.

You can kit out 6 Warlocks and 6 Blight Lords to max spell capacity for 230 points and 205 points, respectively, giving them a pt/sq mm of .368 and .328. These 12 characters take us up to 3990, no items. Meaning, we can play with items easily to drop our footprint further.

An allied goblin attachment should be able to find similar options, plenty of space left. Especially if we just went through and assigned expensive items to our rats first.

SO, if we want impossible, we need to think bigger points, I think.
                            NOW we are getting into interesting territories!

KoW Painting Blog

Youtube Channel

Comment

Played with the list, got it down to 10 Brute Regs, 6 Warlocks, 4 Blight Lords, + items at 4000. Total footprint is 54,250mm2.
                              EDIT: miscalculated the footprint of the characters at 25mm instead of 20mm. Will update shortly. Playing with gobs.
                              Last edited by pinkymadigan; 14-06-2018, 08:12 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X