Hype for KoW

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hype for KoW

Kings of War is an amazing game. Well written and balanced; every time I play or even watch the end of a game at the club I want more games.

When I'm not playing or have not played for a while then there is little to get me worked up again though. New models are delightful but not as spectacular (or marketed) as other companies, the world is charming (coming along nicely) but the snippet of fluff that calls my imagination is rarely from Mantica. Seriously, are the new novels by Winged Hussar meant to be a secret? How is there a book releasing in June, but not widely announced (or even available) on Mantic's website, nevermind social media.

I'm not the only one (and far from worst), our KoW crowd seems need a constant push and never really seems to pick up steam.

Any advice?

I like the fluff there is, would like more books in this setting. Are there a lot of tournaments out there? Reading about some of them on this site...

Comment

Originally posted by Rakkoon View Post
      Are there a lot of tournaments out there? Reading about some of them on this site...
      Out here is Pretoria, South Africa. There are two multi-system events in the next city (Johannesburg is 45 min away) each year that include KoW and usually one (or 2 since I started running one) KoW tournaments (12 players or so) a year.

Comment

I've told Mantic a couple of times that their advertising and marketing just isn't up to scratch. They're getting better, but slowly.

I remember the official Clash of Kings doubles weekend last year, I only heard about it 2 weeks before the event. I'm very active in the UK tournament scene, I'm on Facebook and the forum every day and >80% of my Facebook feed is taken up with KoW material. How on earth could that have slipped me by? In the end it was me and my doubles partner who shared the event on all of the Facebook pages.

Since then they have employed an events manager (Andy) who's awesome and has made some great steps forward with Mantic's community engagement, but he's just one man and is limited by how many hours he has in a day.

One thing I would say to give a bit of context, people have the impression that Mantic is a large company with lots of staff. When you go visit their HQ you realise that they're only just beyond working in someone's shed. I'd be surprised if they have more than 20 people on the payroll and I've been in McDonalds that are bigger than their whole offices and warehouses.

Thats not an excuse for their lack of marketing or hype building, but it does go some way towards explaining it.

Compare it to Games Workshop's HQ which is in the same city, and Mantics is less than 5% of the size. I personally love that because you feel closer to company. they feel like real people and I genuinely want them to do well, but it has its draw backs.

Elliot M

"There you go again, cheating by using the rules correctly!"

Comment

Are there a lot of tournaments out there?
          Where about in the world are you? In the UK theres LOADS of tournaments at the moment, it looked at the end of last year like the tournament scene might be shrinking but at the moment its back with a vengeance!

There's been 17 ranked tournaments since November 2017 (so that doesnt include doubles etc) which is more than one every two weeks.
          Elliot M

Comment

Originally posted by TheGrumpyTroll View Post
            Where about in the world are you?
            Go to Dover. Take the ferry to The Brotherhood. Start driving north. When you see tulips, you've gone too far.

I've actually considered going over to Albion and play a game but have no idea how to broach the subject to my wife

Comment

but have no idea how to broach the subject to my wife
              Carefully

I'm still working on flying to Norway next January. The ultimate goal is Texas for lone wolf but I'm building up to that one.
              Elliot M

Comment

Originally posted by DarkBlack View Post
                Kings of War is an amazing game. Well written and balanced; every time I play or even watch the end of a game at the club I want more games.

When I'm not playing or have not played for a while then there is little to get me worked up again though. New models are delightful but not as spectacular (or marketed) as other companies, the world is charming (coming along nicely) but the snippet of fluff that calls my imagination is rarely from Mantica. Seriously, are the new novels by Winged Hussar meant to be a secret? How is there a book releasing in June, but not widely announced (or even available) on Mantic's website, nevermind social media.

I'm not the only one (and far from worst), our KoW crowd seems need a constant push and never really seems to pick up steam.

Any advice?
                I feel this, I haven't played since bar brawl in feb, not because i don't like the game, but there's just something missing right now...
                I think my new army will get me going, but painting elves is torture.

Comment

Originally posted by TheGrumpyTroll View Post
                  Where about in the world are you? In the UK theres LOADS of tournaments at the moment, it looked at the end of last year like the tournament scene might be shrinking but at the moment its back with a vengeance!
                  Tournament season is underway in the US too, with events big and small going now through the Fall. Lone Wolf a couple weekends back got pretty significant coverage from what I can tell.

That said, I'd love to be able to shout about Mantic releases or Kings in general more. KOW is great and I too am utterly re-hooked every time I play it. I want more people to play it and game stores to stock it, but can only do so much hash tagging :/
                  BLOODFIRE :: Salamander Battle Reports
                  NURGLEKIN :: Ratkin Battle Reports
                  INSTAGRAM :: boss_salvage

Comment

Originally posted by The_Bag View Post
                    I feel this, I haven't played since bar brawl in feb, not because i don't like the game, but there's just something missing right now...
                    I think my new army will get me going, but painting elves is torture.
                    You got elves!? Those aren't green!
                    Mantic or other elves?

Comment

I ran a small tournament a year and a half ago, before we retired and moved South.

I was impressed by Mantic's support of the event, it was refreshing compared to the lackadaisical support the "other" company gave over the years. We got folks walking by who wanted to play, old tabletop gamers. Mantic does listen to its players and helps out. If I get organized in the new casa and start playing regularly again, as in running events, I'll FO SHO contact Mantic again.

I like 'em!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by DarkBlack View Post

You got elves!? Those aren't green!
                        Mantic or other elves?
                        All second hand unpainted so... 3 gueses...

Comment

Stuff is going CHEAP nowadays! Even painted armies seem to not be selling well. Good time to buy, bad time to sell. Got enough room on your shelves???

Comment

Me and my mate just bought the mega Vanguard pledge. I have not painted in 25 years. Man o man.

Comment

Sounds like things are happening.

How do we get our local communities excited for the game though?

Comment

Working...
                              X