Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by The_Bag View Post
    (.....)

TBH, the use of a reload! unit, especially a horde, is not just to do damage, and the analysis only focuses on this.
    these units are very good at threatening an entire lane of fire that nobody really wants to get into without some covering chaff, they are good at dictating the lay of the land, nobody is gonna position hteir heavy cav in front of a horde of arquebusiers because that's dumb, but in front of some archers? maybe, my armour will see me through. (Pshychologically, whether it is true in fact is another story)
    Psychologicaly, I fully agree.
    The truth is that a horde of arquebussiers will do some damage to heavy cavalry if allowed a clear shooting lane, but nowhere enough scare them off. The average damage a horde of arqs will do in a turn of shooting without penalties is 4.44, not exactly threatening to a regiment of heavy cavalry.

Comment

Originally posted by Vince1248 View Post

Psychologicaly, I fully agree.
      The truth is that a horde of arquebussiers will do some damage to heavy cavalry if allowed a clear shooting lane, but nowhere enough scare them off. The average damage a horde of arqs will do in a turn of shooting without penalties is 4.44, not exactly threatening to a regiment of heavy cavalry.
      I disagree. 2 rounds of shooting with that means you are on 9-10 wounds. For most regiments that means wavered at least on average, and even a horde is now going to die from the first charge from any kind of serious unit that it takes. You don't throw heavy cav in front of arq's with firing lane if you are smart.

Comment

As with any ranged units, its not just the average thats scares folks. Its that one turn of 10 hits and 8 wounds instead of 4-5 averaged followed by a waver or rout roll that makes the opponent nervous. 5s and 3s feel nastier than 4s and 5s.

Comment

I shudder facing Elves......

Like with that old system, some gunlines are/were hard to face, especially with war machine support. Any more with army design I don't take just melee troops, I try to take a blend of everything for support. I did just dig out my old box of Elves though.....metal figs from the 80's........

Hee hee hee!!!

Comment

Working...
          X