No announcement yet.

BLOODFIRE :: Salamander Battle Reports

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Last game of day one is against Tim, a dude Iíve seen at tournaments for approaching a decade but somehow never played. At long last, itís wrassliní time!

BLOODFIRE GAME 28: VARANGUR

Varangur 2250

Thralls Regiment
    Thralls Regiment
    Thralls Legion
    Fallen Horde
    Fallen Horde
    Tundra Wolves Troop
    Tundra Wolves Troop
    Direfang Riders Horde - Fury, Brew of Haste
    Cavern Dweller
    Magus Conclave - Famulus
    Magus Conclave - Famulus
    King on Chimera - Fury, Chant of Hate
    Magnilde of the Fallen

I just realized how short on inspiring this list is :/ Iíd say itís probably worth swapping a conclave or two for a Magus with inspiring talisman, but ranged support is conceivably a thing.

Third round was Dominate, one of my favorite scenarios since it ensures a grind and benefits brick armies, like Bloodfire here. And sorta Varangur too. Bloodfire won initiative and got the party started.

BATTLE

Battlelines!

Forward, to glory!

Varangur sally forth in response, a Conclave tagging a wound onto the rightmost Fire Elementals. In Bloodfire 2, the red tide creeps up further, incinerating the Tundra Wolves on the right, flambťing a Thrall regiment that had wandered onto the central hill (where the die is), toasting the Cavern Dweller for 2 damage and gently singeing the right Fallen, who iron resolve the wound away.

In classic Varangur style, itís turn two and time to party! King + Direfangs slam into the leftmost Fire horde, the Cavern Dweller starts grinding on the Diadem horde to their right, Magnilde burns her fly to pounce on one of the right Fire horde and the right Fallen tackle the rightmost Fire horde. A Conclave tags a couple wounds onto a Sprite regiment gunning for them, and itís on to fighting.

The King + Direfangs splatter their horde, however the other Varangur canít seal the deal with their solo charges. Lots of damage happens but they all backup - Fallen got particularly close with 10 wounds but no lucky double 7.

The Bloodfire return jab has its moments. The Cavern Dweller falls to a Fire horde in the front and the flank, Magnilde is one-rounded by her Fire horde (hot rout checks ftw) and the Fallen on the right get beat up but no other result. In shooting, the Sprites on the right burn down a Conclave, the Thrall legion starts taking chip damage, the little Mage-Priest prays a few wounds off the Cavern Dwellerís Fire horde, and the tall Mage-Priest heals the right Fire horde to 8.

Blurry rage-filled photo is blurry, rage-filled. The Direfangs charge the 3 damage Fire horde, the King + left Fallen take on the fresh Fire horde next to them, and the right Fallen head back into their half-dead Fire horde. The surviving Conclave tags some Sprites for 2 more damage but they hold fast.

Combat is a mixed, largely painful affair. The Direfangs steamroll through a second Fire horde, really putting that strider to work, as do the King + Fallen, evaporating the Bloodfire flank save for Agnes and support staff. On the right, the Fallen do admirable damage (16 total) but double ones it ;D

Bloodfire 4 is a whole hell of shooting with a side dish of punching Fallen. Agnes + CLOFD + Sprites + the little Mage-Priest unload into the King on Chimera, erasing him from existence. The Fallen next to him cop a couple wounds in the process, once the King hit 18 damage :P The other Conclave is killed by marauding Ember Sprites shortly before the right Fallen are wavered by their Fire horde.

Thralls shuffle about in the absence of their King, whilst the Fallen on the hill kick some Sprites and the Direfang lawnmower charges Agnes, Tundra Wolves supporting in her flank (hindered).

Hill Sprites are punted and the Fallen overrun, and -/20 Agnes takes 9 damage but tanks it like an enormous legendary fire creature.

Bloodfire 5 and the game feels firmly in Salamander claws, but thereís plenty of fighting left. Agnes counter-charges the Direfangs, with flanking support from the CLOFD (it came down to a dice off whether he was in). The right Fire horde goes one more round with their Fallen, and after a cheeky diadem breath, the Diadem horde is surged into the other Fallen. The Direfangs are smashed under monstrous, molten fists as are the beleaguered right Fallen, but the center Fallen hold fine. Meanwhile, the Thrall legion absorbs Sprite breath and Agnes is prayed down to 7 damage by the lilí Mage-Priest.

Everybody fights! Tundra Wolves have a go at Agnesí front this time (hindered), the Thrall regiment spots the flank of the towering CLOFD and charges in (I totally missed this!), the Fallen have a go at the Diadem horde and the Thrall legion prepares to feast on Ember Sprite.

Wolves canít hurt Agnes, Thralls stab 2 wounds into the CLOFD, the Diadem horde goes up to 5 but whatever, and the Thralls have a nosh.

Bloodfire 6 in dominate means consolidating my lead and closing this one out. Itís currently 9 to 8 (nimble on the Fallen makes them -1 US). Center Fire horde charges into the last Fallen, routing them (9 to 6), and Martyrís Prayer + heal brings them down to no damage. Agnes, not disordered, and the CLOFD turn their attention on the Thrall regiment but can only waver that Varangur nerve. The Fire horde on the right shuffles into the 12Ē zone, knowing that at 17 damage itís an insta-rout, but hoping the last of the Sprites have blocked enough of the legionís charge path.

Last gasp for the Varangur is the Wolves back into Agnesí flank (hindered) for a couple wounds, but mostly the Thrall legion scooting past the Sprites and popping the mangled Fire Elementals. The game goes to 6 to 6 Ö

Ö and thereís no Turn 7, which would have been an easy Bloodfire victory.

BLOODFIRE DRAW

This was a fun one, with some powerhouse rolling on the Varangur part, a good display of the strength of breath weapons on hard targets on the Sallies part, and a snake eyes that tipped the game into my hands until it slipped away again. Always happy to go 1-1-1, and cool to finally play Tim.

Up Next: DWARFS IN THE AM
    Last edited by Boss Salvage; 16-08-2018, 08:13 PM.
    NURGLEKIN :: Ratkin Battle Reports
    INSTAGRAM :: boss_salvage

Comment

Could have been a total victory for you so good play by your opponent in getting a draw.

Comment

Bright and early day two, Iím up against Steve, another player Iíve played near for years but never actually faced (also Timís team mate). An added bonus is that Steve is a very chill, very patient dude. On my part, I was very, very tired from staying up way too late playing Rising Sun and chatting the night before. As one does at tournaments.

BLOODFIRE GAME 29: DWARFS

Dwarfs + Basileans 2250

Ironclad Horde - Brew of Haste
        Earth Elemental Horde
        Earth Elemental Horde
        Berserker Brock Riders Regiment - Potion of the Caterpillar
        Berserker Brock Riders Regiment - Healing Brew
        Ironbelcher Organ Gun
        Ironbelcher Organ Gun
        Berserker Lord on Brock - Blade of the Beast Slayer
        Stone Priest - Bane Chant (2), Martyrís Prayer (7), Inspiring Talisman
        Stone Priest - Bane Chant (2), Martyrís Prayer (7), Amulet of the Fire-heart
        Steel Behemoth
        +
        Elohi Horde

Pretty standard Dwarf fare, nothing too crazy, with pairs of important stuff where able. Fun Fact: There were 5 Dwarf armies at this GT, more than any other faction! Madness

Fourth round was Push, and with 1 token each it was blessedly simple. Dwarfs won initiative and get the push going.

BATTLE

Blurry Battlelines!

Dwarfs in the midst of rolling out. Getting that speedy flank a-flanking first thing. Pretty sure his push token is in the Ironclad horde at the moment.

Bloodfire saunters forward in response, getting that battleline wheel a-wheeling. Push token is on the central Fire horde.

Dwarfs continue encircling the elemental force - Elohi are to the left of that pond, facing inwards. Organ Guns and possible the Behemoth splatter two units of Ember Sprites. Rest In Pepperonis, little dudes.

The Bloodfire battleline continues canting around. The Diadem horde on the far right and maybe the Sprites near them land some wounds on the rightmost Organ Gun. The tension is mounting!

The Dwarfs refuse to engage! Organ Guns patter into the Diadem horde and the nearby Sprites, but only cause chip damage.

Turn 3 and Bloodfire has potentially disastrous charges it can declare? Here we go! Two Fire Elemental hordes slam into the right Earth Elemental horde, reducing them to slag with the help of at least one bane chant. Meanwhile, the Diadem horde on the right charges and obliterates an Organ Gun, preparing to ride the obstacle into the next one. Sprite fire and hopefully the Clan Lord chips at the Ironclad horde, while Agnes heat rays the surviving Earth Elementals.

Dwarf 4 and apart from giving a Fire horde a really bad time, the stunties for the most part continue to hold off. Elohi fly deeper into the Bloodfire DZ, with Brocks preparing to invade either side of the board as needed. Worth noting that the Brock Riders on the Bloodfire side of the table are carrying the push token at this point (and are the pathfinder Brocks).

Yep, those Fire Elementals get dead. Their buddies nearby take some damage from the Organ Gun before it gets creamed next turn.

Agnes and some Fire Elementals (bane chanted) slam into the Earth Elementals, reducing them to ash, while other Fire Elementals pound on the Behemoth and yet more Fire Elementals melt down the other Organ Gun. The CLOFD attempts to assassinate an Stone Priest but canít roll hot enough.

Post smoldering beatdown.

The Dwarfs bring the pain Turn 5. Ironclad tackle Agnes in the front, Behemoth + Brock Riders + Berserker Lord hit the Behemothís Fire horde, and the Elohi sweep into the Herald, with an easy overrun into the CLOFDís flank. Iím kicking myself at this point, I always seem to have a game where I setup such a stupid individual overrun. Brocks to the south also nom up some Sprites.

Better to be lucky than good XD The mega charge against the Fire horde rolls snake eyes, leaving them at 22 damage! And the Elohi painfully fluff their hits against the Herald, dealing just 3 damage for no result. Agnes takes a pretty hearty 5 damage but seriously, Steveís dice just saved my butt.

Time to capitalize on the Dwarfs misfortune. The mangled Fire horde and the Diadem horde (hindered) slam into the Brocks, the Fire horde who had grabbed the central push token when they killed the Earth Elementals heads into the Stone Priest, Agnes grumpily counter-charges the Ironclad and the original push token Fire horde flanks the Elohi. The CLOFD doesnít move (...) and preposterously neither does the Herald (SALVAGE, WHY???)

The CLOFD + inspiring Mage-Priest incinerate the Berserker Lord whilst the martyr Mage-Priest heals Agnes down to 1 damage (snacking on her healing brew in the process). And then combat goes less awesome than anticipated. The Brock Riders take 10 damage, but thatís a far cry from their bravery, and the 9 damage on the Elohi is not as catastrophic as expected. Iím left feeling like I really messed that one up? Or maybe just overinflated what my Fire Elementals could do

(Math Time: 36 CS2 (1/2 of that hindered) into the Brocks = 12.5 wounds, for a 9.5 rout and no chance of a waver. 36 CS2 into the Elohi = 12 wounds, for a rerolled 5 with no chance of a waver. The Brocks were always going to be a grind, especially with the hindrance, but the Elohi wasnít as foolish as I thought at the time. And there also wasnít a lot of options, apart from shooting them with the CLOFD and then surging the Fire horde in, which would have left the Berserker Lord free to rampage. Obviously moving the Herald and rotating the CLOFD where possible was a thing that should have happened.)

Dwarf 6 and we rinse and repeat. Brock + Behemoth back into the severely damaged Fire horde, Elohi back into the Herald (@_@), Ironclad back into Agnes.

The B+B Fire horde erupts into warm goo, the Herald bites it, allowing the Elohi to flank the CLOFD for significant damage (12) but a failed rout (!), and Agnes goes back up to 5 damage. Inevitable but still ouchful turn.

Bloodfire 6 and potentially the end game. The surviving Sprites are tossed a token and then the big boys and girls go to work. Agnes, her damage removed, bats around some more Ironclad (I really donít think they broke). The northern Brocks are removed by the (still hindered!) Diadem horde, while a push token Fire horde punches a meager 3 damage into the Behemoth. And the Elohi are ended, thanks to Fire flank and CLOFD front.

With no Turn 7, this one somehow came down to a Ö...

BLOODFIRE VICTORY

Up Next: FILTHY. ELVES.

Comment

Final round, now much more awake and having eaten some pizza for gaming power. Up against one of the largely-similar Elves armies, but happily the somewhat sorter range version (Dragon Breaths instead of Bolt Throwers) commanded by Allen. I wasnít real thrilled at the prospect of being shot and drakoníd into the dirt, but hey ho.

BLOODFIRE GAME 30: ELVES

Elves 2250

Kindred Archer Horde - Heart-seeking Chant
          Kindred Archer Horde - Wine of Elvenkind
          Palace Guard Troop
          Palace Guard Regiment
          Drakon Rider Horde - Fire-Oil
          Drakon Rider Horde
          Dragon Breath
          Dragon Breath
          Army Standard Bearer - War-Bow
          Army Standard Bearer on Horse - Diadem of Dragonkind
          Elven Mage - Bane Chant (2), Black Iron Crown
          Elven Mage on Horse - Circlet of Blood
          Dragon Kindred Lord - Blade of Slashing

Seems like pretty standard fair for competitive Elves. The Dragon Breath were good to see, as it meant he intended to engage (though most likely theyíre in the list for anti-flier work? Or other hyper-aggro builds).

Fifth round was Occupy, with his primary marker waaaaay in the back left of my zone. Enjoy holding that, whatever noble Elf is sent to push the button. Bloodfire won initiative or might have been given it.

BATTLE

Battlelines!

The Bloodfire ambles out once more. Terrain is hugged, hills are annoying.

Bam! Elves Turn 1 and the elementals are already corralled. Thatís how itís done, kiddos. A unit of Sprites is murdered by the nimble archers on the right.

The red battleline bows out, as it does, continuing to keep terrain in the way. Sprites apply light damage to the left Dragon Breath and right Archer horde.

The Elves increase the pressure in response. The flankers continue to loom while Dragon Breaths roll into range and the Palace Guard troop hurls itself into a Fire horde exposed by the Spritesí death. The flame throwers result in 4 Ember Sprite wounds and the Palace Guard hack 3 damage into the Fire horde.

Bloodfire 3, and Iím too tired to keep waiting his flank out. Two Fire hordes charge into a Dragon Breath and the engaged Fire horde counter-charges the Palace Guard. Sprites move up and breath on the other Dragon Breath, wavering it, and the bane-chanted CLOFD lathers the nimble Archers with some damage.

After combats. I struggled a bit with how to reform those Fire hordes off of the Dragon Breath, and ultimately reformed them thusly. He immediately charged the Drakon Riders in their flank, at which point I paused the game:

BS: ďSo yea, thatís obvious. Can I ask if there was a better way to reform?Ē
          A: ďYou probably would have faced them both towards the Drakon. The Palace Guard are out and Iím not going to send Archers into their flank.Ē
          BS: ďBut would you have charged one in the front?Ē
          A: ďProbably not.Ē
          BS: ďRight. Letís grind.Ē

Part of me felt dumb for the flank (on my more expensive horde too), but part of me knew that I needed to trade out a piece if we were going to come to grips with enough time for me to retaliate. I needed him to come within 12Ē, and this was by far the easiest way to make that happen.

Yep, itís Drakon oíclock. Shooters get range to things and the Palace Guard regiment jams the CLOFD.

Piercing Archers slam 8 damage into the leftmost Fire horde, the Dragon fries the last of the Sprites, and the nimble Archers land 3 damage on the CLOFD. In combat, the flanking Drakon rip right through the Diadem horde, as expected. More surprising is the front-charging Drakon landing 12-15 damage and one-rounding a -/18 Fire Elemental horde! (Math says 9 O_O) So I guess I wonít be flanking them for great justice. Or at least not the mundane way :P

Bloodfire 4: The Elementals Strike Back! A fresh Fire horde tackles the Drakons up top while Agnes hits the lower ones in the front. A walk, pivot and surge later, and thereís a Fire horde in their flank as well ;] The CLOFD deigns to charge the Palace Guard, preferring to shoot them with 16 unhindered breath attaks, thanks - which is super effective, routing the unit! The double-teamed Drakon get pulverized, however the ones in the Elf half of things take a gentle 5 damage for no result. (Also the martyr Mage-Priest cleans up the surged Fire horde a bit.)

Elfish vengeance strikes hard and fast. The leftmost Fire horde, fresh from flanking the Drakon Riders, is hit with Dragon Breath, Dragon fire and piercing arrows, and is thoroughly routed. The CLOFD likewise suffers the attention of Elven Archers, but the pond heís been hanging out keeps the damage low (6 total). The surviving Drakon Riders, bane-chanted back to 3+/3+, rolling out of the box again, sinking a bonkers 12-15 damage and one-rounding the Fire horde that had charged them. What is going on with these dudes?!

Aye, thatís a flank then!

Turn 5, looking pretty light on the ground. The last of the Fire Elementals hits the rampaging Drakon in the front with the CLOFD tackling them in the flank (both hindered). After a bit of healing, the Fire horde fluffs a bit but the Clan Lord picks up the slack, shattering the unit at long last. Agnes and her support staff consolidate on a secondary objective.

The Elves prepare for the end game. The piercing Archers prepare to take the other secondary and shoot some monsters next turn, while the nimble Archers contest my primary objective and the diadem ASB blocks the CLOFD just outside of 3Ē. Not the Fire Elemtanl-sized hole: the nimble Archers + diadem riddle it with damage and the Circlet of Blood boils them to nothingness. Brutal.

Meanwhile, the mighty Dragon Rider sails off to push the win button :/

Bloodfire 6. So much thought when into this turn, trying to figure out ways to both kill the nimble Archers and get the CLOFD within 3Ē of the marker. In the end it just wasnít possible this turn, especially with the incoming piercing Archers, but I could have set Agnes up for a Turn 7 charge into the marker, rather than doing nothing with her. Or at the least used her to heat ray the ASB on pony. Anyway, some fun late game, small scale KOW mind games.

What did happen was the CLOFD and both Mage-Priests roasting the nimble Archers, leaving my primary objective with no one contesting it but also no one within 3Ē to control.

Elves 6 drops one more hammer. The piercing Archers ventilate the CLOFD and then the Mage with Circlet of Blood boils him back to his bloodfire molecules. Annnnd then the war-box ASB shoots the lilí martyr Mage-Priest and pops her :O

Agnes: NOOOOOOOOOOOO

Thereís no Turn 7, capping of an entire tournament of six round games for me. Oh, also a ...

BLOODFIRE LOSS

But a much more fun game than I expected. Allen was engaging to play and I very much enjoyed the late game resource management. Still disappointed I didnít play for the Turn 7 better re: Agnes, who did so very little this game, but it was a moot point ultimately.

With that I ended up going 2 wins, 2 losses, 1 draw, which is pretty typical for me and totally fine. I also walked away with the best painting score this army has gotten, which is probably more to do with the generous rubric used and less the awesome-ness of the painting, but also totally acceptable!

Also happy to announce that Bloodfire will be traveling to the Crossroads GT in September. I had thought about swapping them out for my Ratkin, but Iím so tuned into this army it feels dumb to switch horses mid-apocalypse, especially as Crossroads is a team tournament where I (Capt. Salvage) can influence matchups and give the army the leg up it needs, especially when it comes to scenarios. Thereíll probably be a practice match between now and then, apart from some rat experiments I ran last weekend which went pretty pear-shaped O_O
          Last edited by Boss Salvage; 21-08-2018, 07:17 PM.

Comment

That elf army looks mean! Kinda just need to move forward and brace for impact

Comment

Gotta remember BLOODFIRE 101: PROTECT THE FLANKS FOR AS LONG AS POSSIBLE! Which is only about 2-3 turns, depending on how aggro your opponent is. But that's most of my KOW armies, since I don't play fast flying stuff :/

In the interest of posting some content, here's where I'm headed for Crossroads:

Salamanders 2250

Fire Elemental Horde - Brew of Courage
              Fire Elemental Horde
              Fire Elemental Horde
              Fire Elemental Horde
              Fire Elemental Horde
              Ember Sprite Regiment
              Ember Sprite Regiment
              Ember Sprite Regiment
              Ember Sprite Regiment
              Agnih-Bhanu, Greatest Fire Elemental
              Herald - Banner of the Griffin
              Mage-Priest - Surge (8), Heal (3), Bane Chant (2), Inspiring Talisman
              Mage-Priest - Martyrí's Prayer (7), Bane Chant (2), Healing Brew
              Clan Lord on Fire Drake - Blessing of the Gods

Not too mind-exploding, just a pip of Nv on the special horde as opposed to a diadem that I used in 2/5 games. These dudes were always overextending and taking it on the chin, so more survival is more better. Extra points went into BC on the inspiring priest, which seems like a nutty number of spells (4!) but then again I found I occasionally wanted to throw some more BC out however the little priest was busy martyring things and couldn't be bothered to chant things. I'd rather have the option than not, and frankly if I didn't have all those shambling hordes I wouldn't be taking surge at all, it's really there for that once a game spin-and-charge.

There are a few units left to paint: 1x Skyraider horde, 2x Komodon, metal versions of the priests (currently terrible Bones minis with uncleanable mold lines). Not sure I'll get to anything but the Skyraiders before the army goes into storage until COK19 or KOW3 ... which, you know, is a sad thought! I really like playing these guys and find them a tougher prospect for opponents than I initially thought. That said, I've got loads of armies in the pipeline or in my imagination, and it's high time I played something fast. Hopefully not 10 regiments of Phantoms fast, though I'm not ruling that skew list out @_@

Comment

Great Tournament report!

I've really enjoyed reading all of it.
                Tales of a Stranded Ghekkotah - Salamander Battle Reports

Odes and Sonnets from an outcast Troubadour - Brotherhood Battle Reports

KoW Painting Blog

Youtube Channel

Comment

Thanks El_G! Glad you enjoyed And thanks for continuing your reports as well

Comment

Does that hill in the dwarf battle say 'nerd'?

Comment

Ha! Yes it does, this GT was put on by Nerdhammer.net

Comment

Quick Update: Crossroads GT happened and was a lot of fun. Team Cuddle Time (spoilers) did not do too hot overall, but I enjoyed all my games - some because they were genuinely great and *very* close, one in particular because I still enjoy KOW even when I'm getting my teeth kicked in.

The reports are dragging out so long because a) I've been hella busy, it is October afterall; and b) my images uploaded out of order and I deleted the originals off my phone, so it's proving very time intensive to piece them back into order. I got midway through the first one and had to step away. I promise I'll get them sorted and posted for next week.

In the meantime, here's what you have to look forward to:

BLOODFIRE GAME 31: ELVES

BLOODFIRE GAME 32: FORCES OF THE ABYSS

BLOODFIRE GAME 33: ABYSSAL DWARFS

BLOODFIRE GAME 34: LEAGUE OF RHORDIA

BLOODFIRE GAME 35: FORCES OF NATURE

Stay tuned!

Comment

Yay, we're starting with Elves!

Comment

Alright, letís get this show on the road . . . and then take a break for the weekend Nothing like a bloodbath to end the week (spoilers!).

Crossroads GT this year was a four-man team tourney, which basically meant it was a standard 2250 COK18 event with an added minigame where captains haggled over who got to play whom and what scenarios theyíd use. I never really got the hang of the process, and Iím still not confident I got any of them right, but our team was intentionally pretty weak and we were just there to cuddle.

TEAM CUDDLE TIME
                            - Salamanders (fire elemental / breath weapon spam)
                            - Night-Stalkers (blood worm legion + mind screech spam)
                            - Ogres (balanced with chariots + boomers)
                            - Orcs (balanced with chariots + boomers)

For our first game we played STG, and during matchups I took the worst matchup on myself, to save my teammates the displeasure of playing a brutal af Elf list.

CROSSROADS GAME 1: TEAM STG

- Elves vs Salamanders
                            - Dwarfs vs Orcs
                            - Varangur vs Ogres
                            - ??? vs Night Stalkers

BLOODFIRE GAME 31: ELVES

Salamanders 2250

Fire Elemental Horde - Brew of Courage
                            Fire Elemental Horde
                            Fire Elemental Horde
                            Fire Elemental Horde
                            Fire Elemental Horde
                            Ember Sprite Regiment
                            Ember Sprite Regiment
                            Ember Sprite Regiment
                            Ember Sprite Regiment
                            Agnih-Bhanu, Greatest Fire Elemental
                            Herald - Banner of the Griffin
                            Mage-Priest - Surge (8), Heal (3), Bane Chant (2), Inspiring Talisman
                            Mage-Priest - Martyr's Prayer (7), Bane Chant (2), Healing Brew
                            Clan Lord on Fire Drake - Blessing of the Gods

Hot sauce board with hot tamale dispenser created for the event ;D All my team did cute patterned cloth boards instead of using our display bases, which wouldnít have matched anyway.

Elves 2250

Kindred Archer Horde - Heart-seeking Chant
                            Kindred Archer Horde - Wine of Elvenkind
                            Stormwind Cavalry Regiment - Cat Potion
                            Drakon Rider Horde - Brew of Sharpness
                            Drakon Rider Horde - Brew of Strength
                            Dragon Breath
                            Dragon Breath
                            Dragon Breath
                            Elven Mage - Heal (3), Bane Chant (2), Black Iron Crown
                            Noble War Chariot - Inspiring Talisman
                            Dragon Kindred Lord - Chant of Hate

So this list was designed by the TO and being piloted by an AOS player who had started KOW about two weeks before. This was exceedingly painful to face, and the guy was apologetic, as it turned out much nastier than he anticipated and he spent the weekend apologizing to everybody as a result. Fun Fact: he did lose one match, vs some hero in round five.

I gave us Dominate, one of my stronger scenarios, though honestly I should have done Invade if I really wanted a chance at the draw, as I could have refused the flank. Bloodfire won initiative.

BATTLE

Battlelines!

Bloodfire takes a deep breath and rolls out.

Bam! Elves Turn 1 and the pincers form. The left two Sprites are blown away by Archers.

With few other options, the red tide pushes further into the center, while preparing to engage on the left. The cheeky rightmost Sprites enter the woods and barf a wound on the Noble Chariot.

The Elves take up position . . .

. . . and bring the heat. Shockingly none of the Fire Elemental hordes pop, despite significant damage.

Sally 3 sees me pull a trick from that last game with Elves: I overextend to entice him to engage with his dragon, so I can maul it at the cost of a horde, by charging one of the offered Dragon Breaths. Otherwise my mages heal / pray a die of damage off the mangled horde while Sprites puke a wound off the other central Dragon Breath. Its sister is pulped by the Fire horde, which foolishly doesnít reform to face the Dragon - I hear the voice of my last Elf opponent saying I shouldnít be afraid of Archers rearing me, theyíve got better things to do.

The Elves pounce! Which wouldnít be so bad if they didnít also shoot, bringing the Fire Elementals with Brew of Courage (the quadruple elemental unit) up to 13 and popping them (@ 19 Nv) - removing the dragonís reprisal - and putting a stunning 9 damage into Agnes.

In combat the Dragon shreds its wounded quarry, the Sprites flanked by the Noble annoyingly waver, and the Stormwind do a solid 9 damage to their Fire horde but bounce.

Bloodfire returns the favor where able, sending Fire + Agnes in the flank into the Stormwind and flanking the Noble in chariot.

The CLOFD tags 3 damage into the Dragon, the little Mage prays a solid 6 damage off of Agnes, and Elves get dead in the combat phase, earning me at least 1 VP whatever happens.

With their keen eyes and pointy ears, the Elves spy double overruns I didnít see - and am fakking furious with myself for. I hate when I do these things, as theyíre entirely avoidable. Anyway, Dragon -> big Mage -> Fire hordeís rear and Drakon -> little Mage -> 5Ē overrun into CLOFDís flank. Oh, also other Drakon into fresh Fire horde.

The Drakonís evaporate the little Mage and slam a 6Ē on the overrun, flanking and obliterating the CLOFD as well (which was not such a sure bet, considering hindering and whatever . . . except that his dice were on fire the whole game, and apparently every game of the tournament; he apologized some more but in my experience Elf players always have hot dice, go figure).

The big Mage is devoured and the Fire horde stomped out by the Dragon, while the other Drakon roll like insane baby dragons and do 11 to their Fire horde, who somehow hold. Worst of all though? Agnes is gunned down by Dragon Breath + bane-chanted piercing Archers. Sweet hell.

Bloodfire 5, for vengeance! A wounded Fire horde smashes another Dragon Breath while a more wounded one puts 2 (!) wounds on their Drakon. Coincidentally thatís the same number of wounds the remaining Sprites do to the other Drakon.

Itís an orgy of violence as the Elves pull the noose tight and kick out the supports. Some Archers flank and pop a Fire horde (*golf clap for style points, young sir*), other Archers scatter some Sprites, Drakons eat the remaining Sprites, more Drakons finish off their mangled Fire horde annnnd the Dragon eats the Herald, putting an end to the spicy scourge.

BLOODFIRE LOSS

So yea. That was rough. I also canít remember being tabled in a tournament game of KOW, let alone in Turn 5! The dudeís next opponent was likewise tabled, and was seen wondering the hall muttering to himself, ď"But . . . Ií've never been tabled. Ever . . .Ē"

The team as a whole did very badly, with 1 losing draw, 2 loses with 1 VP (me!) and one total loss. Oof.

Up Next: BEEF & WINGS

Comment

Wow. Good showing considering he was firing off like 100 shots at you.
                              To defend: this is the pact. But when life loses its meaning and is taken for naught,then the pact is to avenge!

Comment

And wounding with 80% or more of them. Seriously, what is with Elf players and molten dice?? This dude needed 3's and 3's or better, with elite, but rolled huge batches of 5+ anyway. I mean, I still say Drakon aren't that amazing on paper, however whenever I face them they routinely one round units to the front in solo charges, thanks to smoking dice ...

But thanks man. Be back next week with more, after I sort out another batch of pics,

Comment

Working...
                                X