Announcement

Collapse

FORUMS CLOSING

Hi everyone,

This is some advance warning that these forums will be closing shortly. The last day will be the 17th December 2018. We have noticed over the past couple of years that traffic on the forum and regular users have both decreased. As a result weíve taken the difficult decision to close the forums. Weíll still be able to answer rules questions via social media and weíll produce articles on the Mantic Blog too.

Many thanks to all of you for your contributions and conversations on the pages here. Special thanks are extended to the moderators who have kept things ticking over for us in the background.

If there is any content you wish to keep, please download and save it before the final closing date.
See more
See less

Swordmaster's Battle Reports

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I've never played against Nighstalkers myself but since Vanguard just arrived, this will happen in the future. Anything I should look out for?

Comment

• Hi guys!

My apologies, I didn't notice that the link was pasted in a wrong way. It should be fixed now.

TheD

Thanks!

I am glad you like it!

Rakkoon

Indeed, some exchange of blows happened!

When playing against Night Stalkers you definitely need to take into account their army wide rules. First, almost every unit is Stealthy. It significantly reduces your chances to hit targets, especially when combined with penalties for movement and cover. However, focusing fire may still be a good idea as the units are not that well armored either.

Second, Mind Thirst. This rule allows Night Stalker to used inspiring presence of their enemies in 12" to re-roll nerve tests. They don't have one on their own but have longer range for using the one from their enemies. It may be difficult to avoid that, especially in melee. As Night Stalkers generally have higher nerve values it may be a problem. On the other hand, shooting may be more efficient if you roll well to hit. In particular at the start of the game.

Boss Salvage

If I were to bet I would actually put my money on Scarecrows I know Jeff likes large infantry horde units and I expect 2 of them at least to be included if he decided to bring Night Stalkers after all.

As a spoiler I can tell you that in the game 100 I played against Jeff and his Night Stalkers again but this time he had Spectres instead of Screamers. Stay tuned!

Cheers!
      Originally posted by Cornwall
      Swordsmaster could try taking less units

Comment

• Any chance of seeing some pictures of the Night Stalker army and what figures were used?
        The army interests me because ( until lately) there weren't really any models for it, so every army was different.
        With Mantics new sets coming out soon , im sure there will be a surge in Night Stalkers armies taking the field.
        To defend: this is the pact. But when life loses its meaning and is taken for naught,then the pact is to avenge!

Comment

• Blood axe

I am really sorry but we played online on Universal Battle 2. However, Jeff always designs the armies around the models he has so I am going to ask him about the miniatures he has to represent each entry.

Comment

• Nice report, good to see nightstalkers in action. They are a funny army to play against. I agree scarecrows are quite likely in the final mix, the whole army's low on defence and even without surge they're like zombies, they give the army some kind of a solid core that can soak up damage cheaply.

Screamers vs. mindscreech - you can get two screamers for every mindscreech. In that context they're probably a bit better. I would, in that army, be trying to shoot the void lurkers, they've got a low defence and no stealthy, and it was eliminate.

I think a shrewd opponent can probably position things like army standard bearers to take advantage of mindthirst, the army loves things like Drakon lords though because they have to get stuck in, and anything they attack is inspired (Blaine is funny. Inspires himself and his nightstalker fans).

I agree you missed some opportunities, and probably didn't protect the objective units carefully enough. It's tough with drakon regiments though, using them without risking the unit.

Comment

• Originally posted by Swordmaster of Hoeth View Post
              Blood axe

I am really sorry but we played online on Universal Battle 2. However, Jeff always designs the armies around the models he has so I am going to ask him about the miniatures he has to represent each entry.
              Ah its ok! Great battle. I always enjoy your reports and look forward to them. You have the very best KoW battle write ups I've seen.
              Bloodfire is great too though. Thank you.
              loolking forward to #100. A rematch?
              Last edited by Blood axe; 07-11-2018, 06:38 AM.
              To defend: this is the pact. But when life loses its meaning and is taken for naught,then the pact is to avenge!

Comment

• Hi guys!

Many thanks for your comments, great to have the discussion going!

Myriad6

I hope that with the new models available, we will see more of Night Stalkers. I don't know how feasible it would be in terms of financial investment in new models but fingers crossed it will work. This is one of the unique factions for Mantic and should be one of their trademark forces.

Scarecrows surprised me a bit because they did inflict damage on their own too. It is partially due to small size of my units but one should never underestimate the opponent, even if it hits in 5+ without any further modifiers.

It is sometimes tough to see the missed opportunities or replay the mistakes while creating the report. Especially when it seemed that if I didn't make at least some of them, I would have had a better chance at a good result in this game. I am still puzzled how is that I can still make such decisions when they look so "obvious"

However, I know I am learning and improving in general, regardless of the results. So there is always hope to do better next time!

Blood axe

Jeff sent me information on the type of models he is going to use to represent each unit. It is a mix of different providers and different games systems so I need to find them online first. Once done I will post more detailed information.

Many thanks for your kind words! I greatly appreciate them and it is a reward in itself to know the games and reports are entertaining! Indeed, game 100 is sort of rematch and another one scheduled for the weekend will also be against Jeff's Night Stalkers.

Cheers!

Comment

• Swordmaster of Hoeth. Thank you very much! Looking forward to the next battle.

Comment

• Hi Blood axe ,

My sincere apologies for a delay in replying. Here is what I found about the models:

Scarecrows - Undead Bog Trogs from Warmachine: https://store.privateerpress.com/gat...wamp-shamblers
                    Fiends - Giant Spiders - Jeff did not specify what is the company
                    Spectres - Flamebearers from The Forces of the Abyss: http://www.manticgames.com/mantic-sh...the-abyss.html
                    Void Lurker - some sort of old warhammer Undead Flying Monster
                    Dread-Fiends - Trollkin Long Riders: https://store.privateerpress.com/trollkin-long-riders

Unfortunately I was not able to provide examples of how Fiend or Void Lurker may look like.

I hope that helps!

Comment

• Thanks Swordmaster!

Comment

• Hello!

Here is the link to the most recent battle report where I faced Night Stalkers again, this time in Invade scenario. It is also my 100th battle report for Kings of War!

Game 100 - Night Stalkers - 2018/11/19

Many thanks to Jeff for yet another great game!

Comment

• Congratulations on reaching your 100th KOW Battle Report. Thatís quite a milestone! Please keep them coming - your loyal readers demand it!

Iím sorry you couldnít get a win in your hundredth report game. You really should have picked a softer target than Jeff - me for instance .

Re the post game analysis, I donít think you were wrong to shoot at the Spectres, but I agree that your deployment wasnít great. I think your biggest mistake was trying to break through the centre against the Scarecrows hordes early game. They are the one element in his army that you can avoid for a time and hope to deal with later. They are M5 and Shambling, so it takes them some time to get anywhere. It would have been better to make the Spectres, Fiends, Dread Fiends and most of all the Void Lurkers your targets in the early turns for both shooting and close combat, donít you think? Easier said than done, I know, against an army with so many elements, and commanded by the Master, to boot.

Comment

• Congratulations and thank you. I've been following you on three forums and it is always a joy to read. Special thanks for the summary gif at the end that really shows all movement in the game. Interesting that you feel you lost in the beginning of the game. I have made mistakes like that but one of the joys of KoW is that losing a single unit is never the end of the game. But a bad deployment is often misery. Choose an easier opponent for game 200
                            Last edited by Rakkoon; 20-11-2018, 08:45 AM.

Comment

• Awesome report as always. Hope there are 100 more.
                              Did i miss an update? Void lurkers are regen 4+ ?
                              My book says 5+.
                              Last edited by Blood axe; 20-11-2018, 11:45 AM.

Comment

• Hi guys!

Thanks a lot for your comments!

Edzig

Thank you!

I intend to continue playing and posting games of Kings of War. I hope to do that on a regular basis. I am in a very luxurious situation as I have great opponents to play against both with real models and on Universal Battle. It is just a matter of organizing enough time for games and battle reports as well as other activities. But I am confident it can be done!

You are a tough opponent too! It just happened that we scheduled the game as Jeff really needed some more practice before he submitted his army list for the Masters. It would have been nice to win or at least put up a more decent fight. But I enjoyed the game nevertheless and I do hope all these harsh lessons will bring improvements in the longer terms.

The challenge against Jeff and his armies in general, and this army in particular, is that it seems to be quite difficult to make a decision as to what should be a priority for both, shooting and melee. And how to deploy accordingly to take advantage of the scenario at the same time. As I didn't shoot at the Scarecrows I may indeed try to avoid them. However, that would also mean they would shamble forward and reach my half of the battle field. If we fought there that would have benefited Jeff.

I need to better anticipate the deployment of the opponent to take advantage of the mobility and maneuverability the army I have provides. Against Jeff I cannot use larger number of units to see where his force is going to be and deploy a few elements in a more convenient way. As he has fast elements on his own it becomes even more difficult to outmaneuver his army too. It means that I need to quickly decide how I want to win the scenario, guess his deployment and take both factors into account to deploy properly myself. Perhaps I should start using my battle reports as an opportunity to consider what would be the "ideal" deployment in the particular game as an exercise?

Rakkoon

Thank you! I am glad you are enjoying the games and I do hope I will have more to come. Also against varied opponents simply because it would add to the diversity of the games. Fortunately for me Jeff plays with different armies but I would love to showcase other players and their armies on regular basis too!

Mistakes in deployment do not automatically lead to the defeat. They may contribute and I do think it resulted in me losing the initiative. It is still possible to win but it was so much harder of course.

Blood axe

Thank you! Me too! And I also hope that to reach another 100 I would not need to wait another 3 years

I apologize, I made mistakes. Void Lurkers indeed have Regeneration 5+. There is an option with the artifact to get it to 4+ but it would be possible for only 1 model. I corrected the army lists in my last two reports.

Thanks a lot for your comments one more time!

Comment

Working...
                                X