No announcement yet.

Swordmaster's Battle Reports

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thank you Vil le Môvé ! I am glad you like it!

That is an interesting question indeed! Btw, what would be an example of a strong elite horde army? Would you consider Tristan's Elves as such?

Cheers!
    Originally posted by Cornwall
    Swordsmaster could try taking less units

Comment

• Originally posted by Swordmaster of Hoeth View Post
      Thank you Vil le Môvé ! I am glad you like it!

That is an interesting question indeed! Btw, what would be an example of a strong elite horde army? Would you consider Tristan's Elves as such?

Cheers!
      Yes ! Of course they are !

Elves are so fast, swift, accurate, elite, beautiful with their platinum blond hair alway perfectly combed... You know what ? I hate Elves !!!

And I'm very happy when they decide to fight each other.

So, more seriously, I don't think that Tristan's Elves are an elite horde army. But since the beginning of your game I consider that there's something unbalanced.

Let's have a look at his army : he has four no, five big blocks of troops counting his cavalry regiment + some auxiliaries and heroes.

To face that you' ve only got 20 sea guards + 20 palace guards + 10 storm winds cavalry the rest counting (for me) as auxiliaries. (Sorry, in fact in writing this, I've just discovered that my ancestor should have been Bernard Montgomery rather than Erwin Rommel and that I'm more an infantry leader than a panzer leader if you see what I mean).

So yes, I understand that you've traded staying power for flexibility but I'm always amazed by the results of your games. And I really hope that one day or another I could have the same outcome in many of my games with my goblins... 3:-)

Today my results are more of the type all or nothing and either I tablerased my opponent or I'm tablerased myself...

Comment

• Hi Vil le Môvé !

Yes, I know that Elves vs Elves is one of those match ups other players enjoy a lot

I definitely draw some inspiration from reading history books but I would not name those from more recent history as examples though!

Thank you for your kind words! It is not always working but I found that almost always the reason for the defeat is due to my mistakes. That never takes away the glory of the victory from my opponents but it does contribute to the result. But I like it how it works and I must admit it feels good when it does!

I guess it is similar to any army a player uses. Even if you have extreme results, there are lessons to be learned. So don't give up and keep playing!

Comment

• Hello!

Here is the link to the last game of the local event where I played against Tony and his fantastic Samurai army. The scenario was Dominate.

Game 92 - Samurai - 2018/08/13

Many thanks to Tony for a great game!

Comment

• Excellent MSU win there, Swordie.
            Really nice to see those hordes surrounded and overwhelmed like that.

I agree totally about the premature charge of his flying ninjas. It seemed really rash (and it something I always have to struggle against myself with my flying units!). Once he'd lost these support units (and the winged hero too) he just couldn't control your superior numbers.

How do you feel about the changes you've made to your list?
            ie Stormwind Regiment back in, Windborne in and zero magic artefacts? Going to be keeping any of them or are you going to make some tweaks?

Comment

• Congrats on the win. Ninjas in trees were fabulous.

Comment

• Hi guys!

laribold

Hello! Good to see you!

I heard you are busy refining some Trident Realms army composition and I still own you some reports from the games versus this faction. Getting there!

I am glad you liked the report. I think it shows that while hordes are tough they are not indestructible. And while Tony unfortunately missed a few angles to avoid flank charges, there are still ways to break wholes in the line anyway.

Tony mentioned that it was hard to resist charging with them as soon as they had a target in sight!

The army constantly evolves. This time it was due to tournament requirements that artifacts were not allowed so people upgraded in different ways. Hence the inclusion of Windborne. My games on Universal Battle that I am going to report soon feature slightly different armies though. For example, I came back to 2 units of Storm Wind Troops instead of the regiment because I found out that sometimes this unit can be still disappointing. Despite good hitting power and changes to Thunderous Charge, they are not ultimate killers either. Hence, I decided to get back to the roots.

I would like to include Windborne but if I do I need to learn that they are not just better horse archers that ignore cover for to hit rolls. Game 2 was a good example where simply keeping them in reserve and having them for that last shooting phase would have been all I needed to win the game.

I am also trying to learn how to use flying hero as I tend to waste him too quickly. I have some nice idea for a model and got the wings to make it happen so I really want to learn how to fly him properly

Rakkoon

Thanks! Indeed, great idea and even better execution for a fantastic unit!

Cheers!

Comment

• Hello!

Here is the link to the most recent report. Another game of the series versus Australian Master Jeff and his Trident Realms army.

Game 93 - Trident Realms - 2018/08/21

Many thanks to Jeff for another fantastic game!

Comment

• Your after battle thoughts are always a treat. Keep on fighting!

Comment

• Hi !

Great report as always SwordMaster.

But may I ask you a question ?

Everytime, I see that you fielded ŕ War chariots regiment and everytime It seems to me that it underperformed. Are you totally satisfied with it ? Did I give too much credit to this unit ?

Comment

• Hello!

Thanks for your comments!

Rakkoon

Thank you! I am glad that my attempts to analyze the game and learn as much as possible (no matter what the result is) is useful for others. It is always better to learn from somebody's else mistakes

Vil le Môvé

Thank you!

Before I answer your question I would like to ask mine. It will be helpful in answering yours, I promise! Here are the questions:

1. What role do you think Chariots should play in the army?
                        2. Why do you think they under-perform?

Thanks!

Comment

• Originally posted by Swordmaster of Hoeth View Post

Vil le Môvé

Thank you!

Before I answer your question I would like to ask mine. It will be helpful in answering yours, I promise! Here are the questions:

1. What role do you think Chariots should play in the army?
                          2. Why do you think they under-perform?

Thanks!
                          1. As a greenskin player and more particularly a goblin player I tend to see chariots as shock troops (with their TC2). And if you know goblins you know that we have very few troops which are able to make holes in an ennemy's army.

2. And if I think that they underperformed it's because they tend to always disappear very quickly. So yes, I know that elves are not goblins and that each and every of your troops are much more versatile and more efficient than mine so you can afford to loose some before it become a problem but still...

These are the reasons of my question.

Comment

• Hi Vil le Môvé ,

Thank you for your quick reply. Indeed, I understand the better the context of your question and can better address it.

I have not included War Chariots in the army as shock troops. I like them because they are flexible. Much like Sea Guard, they are not going to win fights on their own. In fact, not a single unit is capable of that in my army, unless it gets the flank/rear and even then often needs assistance of another element of the army.

You may see Drakon Riders performing such feat simply because as fliers they can get to such position easier and ignore any obstacles such as units and certain terrain in getting to their chosen target. In the last game Palace Guard troops managed to hunt down some Depth Horrors mainly due to their small foot print.

War Chariots do not have any of these advantages. However, as I mentioned before they are flexible. And it means they can add to the game at different stages and in different ways. They are doing so by shooting. Especially at the start of the game. 8 ranged attacks may not mean much but every point of damage counts. Due to height 3 chariots will also see above elements that infantry or cavalry cannot. That means more flexibility in positioning too. Yes, they may be affected by cover but at the same time they can see what others cannot. It ideally should play the role later in the game where damaged units need only one more point to be forced to take nerve test and have a good chance to be destroyed.

Long charge range and TC2 also mean they can fight. Again, I don't expect them to win fights on their own. But they can and do hunt for flanks where they can add to the coordinated attack.

They block line of sight well so I may sometimes use it by charging into the enemy and simply not allowing it to attack other targets. It is not as spectacular as taking down enemy units but it is equally important.

In general, Chariots add to the versatility and flexibility of the army in the indirect way.

Having said that I would also admit that I am sure I do not use them to their full potential. Yes, I often lose them and not necessary because I planned to but because I made mistakes and I was trying to fix them somehow. But that does not mean they under-perform. It is always about me as a player making good decisions or making mistakes.

Cheers!

Comment

• Originally posted by Vil le Môvé View Post

And if you know goblins you know that we have very few troops which are able to make holes in an ennemy's army.
                              whoah there, what? where does this come from?

Trolls, lobbas, spearchukkas, lightning all over, fleabags, mawbeasts...

Maybe my meta is soft, but hte above have served me well, having only used banechant once ever and finding it pretty surplus to requirements.

In a tournament list I run 2-3 lobbas,this discourages the 6+ armour units quite nicely, added to that 1 chukka which for 55 pts is a bargain. FOR 5+ I use the lightning and the fleabags, for everything else, there's mastercard.

Comment

• Good Morning Swordmaster!

I was going through your reports, went back to......2017 I think, your sole Ratskin game with Clint. Have you thought about new strategies against such a force?

I'm sure you were reviewing it in your mind after that tournament, any advice for today in the COK 2018 era?

Thanks!

Comment

Working...
                                X