Swordmaster's Battle Reports

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• hi Vil le Môvé !

I encourage you to provide feedback without any hesitation Yes, writing a report takes time but it is also very motivating to do it again when there are comments. In particular, about the game itself.

I would like to summarize my experiences and observations in an article at some stage where I would write about particular aspects of the game with situations from the battle reports to illustrate them better. I think that would be something that you have suggested. But that still needs some time to be done as I have not yet decided on the structure of such article.

In the meantime, here is the link to the re-match against Jeff and his Trident Realms army:

Game 89 - Trident Realms - 2018/06/14

Cheers!
    Originally posted by Cornwall
    Swordsmaster could try taking less units

Comment

• Another great report !

It's very funny to see that the same causes seems to produce the same effects. Last week I had a fight vs Rhordia boys, and with their high speed and high def it was a real pain for my poor goblins. So, my question will be : How can a "medium army" could cope with such opponents with high speed, high def and eventually high nerve value ?

Comment

• Thanks for the insights into lone characters. Also protection against wind blast is a good one!

Comment

• Thank you for your comments!

Vil le Môvé

The best advise I received from the experienced and successful players is summarized in two points:

1. Play to fulfill the scenario objectives.
          2. Play to the strengths of your army.

It is obviously easier said than done but it does not make it any less true. It may happen in the heat of the battle that the player simply focuses on kills rather than on how to win the scenario. In the last game I did not secure the objectives on my half, could not get to the middle one, not to mention to the ones of my opponent so in the end I lost. Even if in terms of casualties we probably were similar.

Every army has set of strong points, even those that may be at first glance considered as "medium". High speed, high defense and his nerve all cost points so perhaps the opponent of such force has advantage in numbers and total unit strength? As this game showed, having enough units and redundancy in the force may be enough to slow enemy down so that he cannot get to the objectives in time. Being slower does not mean you automatically are going to lose units because as Jeff showed, presenting only the front to potential attacks and having units ready to counter can be quite successful reply to fast enemies. You may not avoid being charged but if you are charged on your terms then it means you can turn it to your advantage.

There is always something you can do. You have identified the strengths of your enemy. What are the weaknesses? What are your strong points? Focusing on how to use your strength to exploit enemy weaknesses is the key!

Rakkoon

You're welcome! I found it very educational myself and I really think such heroes may be dismissed a bit too quickly. I am also glad I saw how Jeff protected his units from Windblast so that I can now think on how to use it better against my opponents in the future.

Cheers!

Comment

• Hello!

Here is the link to the report from the 1st Game of Kings of Capitol 2 tournament where I played against Michael and his Forces of Nature.

Game 90 - Forces of Nature - 2018/07/01

Many thanks to Michael for a great game!

Comment

• Another great report which reminds me my last week tournament where I fighted vs many def 5/6 armies.

And even if every army had strength, I have to admit that it was very difficult vs some of my opponents. Force of nature being one of them. Without speaking of Rhordian boyz, etc.

Comment

• The shame of the Drakon Lord became too great. He spent the rest of his life as a cobbler in a small village.

As you said, objective is all. Even if your full army dies, he who has the tokens wins. This makes kow a fantastic game and I really need to learn this.

Thanks for the write-up and good luck with the replacement Drakon Lord

Comment

• Hello!

Thanks for the comments!

Vil le Môvé

While it is a fact that Defense 5+/6+ armies have their advantages, I would rather highlight that I lost the game manly due to the fact I did not play to the strengths of my own force and did not use the opportunity to secure the token when I could. Playing to fulfill the scenario objectives is the most important element. If I had picked that token then it would not matter if the enemy is Defense 5+ or 6+ as long as I would have prevented it from getting into combat.

Rakkoon

I think the Drakon Lord was just making a point about me choosing the wrong strategy for the battle

Comment

• Hello!

I apologize for a much longer break in posting the reports than I expected. Here is the link to the game 2 of Kings of Capital 2 where I had a great pleasure playing against Tristan and his Elves in always interesting civil war!

Game 91 - Elves - 2018/08/08

Many thanks to Tristan for a great game!

Comment

• Fun game.
                      I like the "arrogant swordmasters" quote from someone with your username

Comment

• It's good to see you back in the reporting saddle! Another great report. When I read his list, I thought that looked a tough match up for you. All that heal and regen does not make it easy for your small units to take the opposing larger units out. And the scenario did not favour you either. Well done on getting a draw. Your post-battle analysis seems spot on, but there are very few games where you can't think of better moves with the benefit of hindsight.

Comment

• Thanks for the comments!

Rakkoon

What a "coincidence" !

Edzig

Good to be back too! And thanks!

Indeed, it was not easy to inflict damage on these units. However, I don't think I was without good chance for victory and I think I had an opportunity to get it. I believe this game is one of the examples where that opportunity lies more in denying the opponent access to the center objective than in routing the units (although that always helps ).

And if I were to choose the single mistake that was crucial I would definitely nominate not keeping Windborne cavalry alive.

I agree, there is always something that could have been done better or at least different. But as always, that is one of the reasons I write the reports so that we can all learn from my mistakes.

I would also like to stress that I had a great game against a great opponent. Finishing the civil war with a draw also adds to the drama and makes the game more entertaining (at least I hope so!).

And now it is time I get back to report writing. Next - the battle against Samurai themed army!

Cheers!

Comment

• Have you ever faced Basilea? I think an elite Basilean force against yours would be interesting to watch.

Comment

• I have but not often and quite a long time ago. For some reason they are not that popular but hopefully it will change, perhaps after Vanguard release?

Comment

• And another great and very interesting report by The swordmaster !

How to cope with strong elite hordes armies ?

Comment

Working...
                                X