X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ax, Longax, Greatax ?

Hi !

Fellow greenskinz lovers !

All is in the title. What do you think of it ?

If I want to arm my warriors, what do you think would be the best ?

- Ax, great def but melee 4 ?

- Longax great def, mid melee, more attacks ?

- Greatax mid def, great melee, better nerve ?

I run my orcs with a mix of these units - they all have they strengths. Generally I let the Ax or the longax take the brunt of the enemy's charge the I counterattack with the greatax.

Longax are great but they cost more than regular Ax so it really comes down to what is in your list and whether you have the extra points. More attacks and phalanx are very handy.

Comment

IMO, Longax are too expensive, and only marginally better than Axes as anvils. Had they more nerve, or ensnare instead of phalanx, they will be a great option . As they are, I rather take axes supported by chaff. TC is only a problem for them in very rare occasions, nothing that justifies the extra 35 points.
      Your mileage may vary, of course.

Comment

Originally posted by Jator View Post
        IMO, Longax are too expensive, and only marginally better than Axes as anvils. Had they more nerve, or ensnare instead of phalanx, they will be a great option . As they are, I rather take axes supported by chaff. TC is only a problem for them in very rare occasions, nothing that justifies the extra 35 points.
        Your mileage may vary, of course.
        Yes, I rather agree with that.I don't think that longax are much a bargain. And chaff gives me more poses so I think it's better to take Ax too.

Comment

there's a big difference between 30 and 35 attacks, 30 atttacks is 10 wounds against d4, 35 is 12, 12 cracks a tough (inspired) regiment, or LI horde, 10 doesn't.
          what else are you gonna do with your 35 pts

Comment

Originally posted by The_Bag View Post
            there's a big difference between 30 and 35 attacks, 30 atttacks is 10 wounds against d4, 35 is 12, 12 cracks a tough (inspired) regiment, or LI horde, 10 doesn't.
            what else are you gonna do with your 35 pts
            Hi !

Are you sure of this ?

Because for me 30 attacks at melee 4 give roughly 15 hits. And vs def 4 it gives around 7/8 wounds.

And for 35 attacks : 17/18 hits and 8/9 wounds.

Where do I make a mistake ?

Nevertheless it's sure that on the average I will inflict more wounds with more attacks but nothing that can break the odd, don't you think ?

Where I don't agree is that with 35 points left I can do a lot of things. (Like giving "the fog" to someone who need it for example). ;-)

Comment

orcs have crushing, so 30 attacks on 4s (1/2) gives 15 hits, wounding on 3s (2/3) wounds. so 10. 35 attacks 17.5 hits, 2/3 is 11.6, or 12... (but more dice = more swing)

10 wounds on an elite elf unit (15/17), assume banner and inspired, for 16/18, you need 8 twice to break, 12 wounds, just 6...

yeah, 35 points, you can buy elite for the ax and have change, giving you an extra wound or 2, or vicious, or give them brutal, that's good, or healing brew and lots of change, or.. if you do it twice, you can get a troop of skulks.. or ... and so on. but this ignores the benefit of phalanx in hte new meta.

I haven't been able to make pure orcs work so this is very hypothetical.

Comment

Working...
              X