No announcement yet.

To Grim Harvest or Not to Grim Harvest?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• To Grim Harvest or Not to Grim Harvest?

I'm getting close to moving from the list development stage to the build phase on an NS army, and I'm starting to wonder if I really want to run a Scarecrow legion vs making two hordes work. It basically comes down to a question of running the Grim Harvest formation or not:

Reaper Regiment*
    Reaper Regiment*
    Scarecrow Legion*
    Fiend Regiment
    Fiend Regiment
    Mind-Screech
    Shadow-Hulk
    Shadow-Hulk
    Void Lurker
    Dread-Fiend
    Dread-Fiend
    *Grim Harvest

vs

Reaper Regiment
    Reaper Regiment
    Scarecrow Horde
    Scarecrow Horde
    Fiend Horde - cat potion
    Mind-Screech
    Shadow-Hulk
    Shadow-Hulk
    Void Lurker
    Dread-Fiend
    Dread-Fiend

I'm still really partial to the formation list, as LL(2) on the Reapers seems legit, and the Fiend regiments are pretty interesting to me, as cheap(ish) fast units capable of getting up to plenty of mischief. I've also never run a legion, so that seems like a cool thing, and -/27 makes IMO a pretty rough anvil to hammer against. That said, the double hordes feel a little less all-or-nothing compared to the legion and let me hold two parts of a battleline down, as opposed to centralizing around the single legion, while also being a little less intimidating to build. -/21 however seems pretty meh for things that are intended to hold a charge so nastier things can counter, unless I'm thinking wrong and scarecrows (ala zombies) in hordes are more mega objective holders.

Anyway, thoughts?
    BLOODFIRE :: Salamander Battle Reports
    NURGLEKIN :: Ratkin Battle Reports
    INSTAGRAM :: boss_salvage

Keep in mind that the formation can change with the new Clash of Kings supplement. I would not build an army around one.
    Also, having an exta strip (or two troops to make a regiment) that can detach with clever use of
    ​magnets can give you both options.

I do prefer fiends in hordes and think the two hordes are more flexible, so I would rin the second list, but what I prefer might not be what suits your style.

Comment

Eh, that's a fair point, and this army isn't seeing the table until COK19 anyway. I still think I prefer the Harvest list, as the scarecrow legion and the fiend regiments are more interesting to me than scarecrow hordes (I know what derpy shambling hordes do) and fiend hordes (which is all anybody runs them in). Smart money says I work on the other parts of the list that aren't those few units, but I wanted to get my bases sorted out :/ Probably just order bases for all the options, add what I don't use to the base stockpile ;D

Comment

That formation isn't changing in CoK19 .

Comment

Originally posted by LordOfSmurfs View Post
          That formation isn't changing in CoK19 .
          Yessssssss that is good to hear

Comment

So now that I've got all the bases for this army - either version of it - and am starting to lock down my painting for 2019, I'm back to debating between two lists:

Reaper Regiment*
            Reaper Regiment*
            Scarecrow Legion* - warbow
            Fiend Regiment
            Fiend Regiment
            Mind-Screech
            Shadow-Hulk
            Shadow-Hulk
            Void Lurker - +1Nv
            Dread-Fiend
            Dread-Fiend
            *Grim Harvest

vs

Reaper Regiment
            Reaper Regiment
            Scarecrow Horde - warbow
            Scarecrow Horde
            Fiend Horde - pathfinder
            Shadow-Hulk
            Shadow-Hulk
            Screamer
            Screamer
            Void Lurker - staying stone
            Dread-Fiend
            Dread-Fiend

Screamers have really grown on me since Swordmaster's latest batrep, especially in a list where shooting is intended to take out softer targets (chaff) rather than delete meaningful targets at range, which you'd need multiple screeches for. I'm content to wait for COK19 to confirm that nothing is really changing - I expect dread fiends to be nerfed a little bit (CS1 + TC1 would be what I would do) but that isn't going to change me using them - however I do need to make a decision before building, as I don't want to make a puzzle piece legion, particularly since scarecrow troops aren't a thing.

Up until this morning I actually thought I was going to finally do my ogre army for 2019, but this army will be a much faster build + paint and may be potentially more tactically satisfying than the ogres, a list I don't particularly love.
            Last edited by Boss Salvage; 09-11-2018, 08:22 PM.

Comment

Working...
            X