New to Trident Realms

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New to Trident Realms

Coming from Dwarves, I thought I'd try something a bit different - both in play-style and modelling/painting, as I've got a bit bored of various shades of metal! I've done a bit of background reading/listening (thank you Beers of War!) this is my initial stab at a 2k list:

Horde of Ensnarers, Griffin Banner
    - Troop of River Guard, great weapons
    - Naiad Envoy, Lute
    - Knucker

Horde of Gigas
    - Centurion, wings
    - Coral Giant

Horde of Depth Horrors
    - Troop of Thuul
    - Troop of Thuul
    - Thuul Mythican, bane chant, Inspiring Talisman
    - Kraken

3 hordes, 4 troops, 3 monsters, 3 characters looks fairly well rounded on paper.

Naiads, Gigas and Coral Giant are the anvil with some heavy CS mixed in. River guard are there to create confusion in the main line - screening, blocking charges and threatening flanks and rear arcs with the pseudo-fly. The Thuul/Kraken/Depth Horror group adds some aggressive and counter-attack elements with a Mythican for bane-chant to help with the disappointingly low CS on the Depth Horrors, or if the Thuul get a chance to flank charge. The Centurion and Knucker can charge off and lock down archer hordes / hunt war machines, or can help the river guard confuse the centre with the centurion redeploying to give inspiring cover as needed.

The other thing I'm trying to do is test a range of units out and see how they all play. I probably don't need 3 monsters and cutting 1 would allow another Naiad horde as Gigan nerve seems worryingly low, for example, but I feel like the best way to learn the faction is to play around with as much of it as possible and see what sticks. Plus building and painting 2 identical hordes is much less fun...

I'd appreciate your thoughts!

For a first-time list, I really like it. It will definitely give you the widest experience with much of what TR has to offer, but I would expect there to be a few more iterations if you're looking for a finely honed competitive list.

What I mean by that is... if you're wanting to use two troops of thuul and the mythican, you're so close to the formation already that I'd be very tempted to find the extra... 165? points to squeeze that in. Also the single knucker is significantly less effective than 2 of them, even with the centurion with wings. And you will definitely be feeling the Sp4 on those gigas with everything else in the list, so I would either lean into the lower speed side of the list or, sadly, possibly abandon them. I love gigas, but IMO they can't perform well in every list.

But like... all of those criticisms are like the last ~10% of polish. The list is definitely in no way bad, just... not fully polished. For what you're looking for (i.e., an introduction to the faction), it's possibly the best/most cohesive smattering of options you can assemble.

Welcome to the pond!

Comment

"building and painting 2 identical hordes is much less fun..."
      I agree. I paint my Naiads a variety of blues and greens for their skin, fins and manes. I also have variety for their gold armor. For my first Ensnarer Horde I based with Vallejo Game Color Polished Gold 72.055, then most of them had flesh wash on the gold but a few had a red wash. For the second Horde I am washing most of the Ensnarers with yellow and a few with flesh wash. I am not concerned with uniformity because I conceptualize the Naiads as long lived members of standing militias that assemble for large activities. This level of individuality enables variations in weapons and armor.

I really like Gigas too but I usually run them between two Ensnarer hordes. They really need flank protection and the Ensnarers don't outrun them.

As for the Thull I like the recommendation above that it would be very cost effective to find a way to add their Formation.

I am learning that the Fishpeople army needs to have a lot of synergy and requires gamers that appreciate a dynamic learning curve. I really enjoyed my Dwarf armies in that other game but it is nice to be learning how to play an army that has multiple play styles.

2017: Bought a big school of TR Fishpeople, still busy glueing fins and tridents.

Comment

Thanks for the feedback! Glad to hear I'm not way off. Can a winged centurion really not proxy as a knucker? Seem to do some of the same things, though I guess you swap flank/rear multipliers and TC3 for some inspire and defence.

Doesn't help that the conversions I'm working on for naiads come in at around 12/model (c.$16 I think) and I'm looking at 15/horde. Now that's a base you don't want to drop...

I'm looking at 1 of the 3 monsters going when I work out which I like least, which should free up points for a second Knucker or Thuul formation and Brew of strength on the Depth Horrors. If the Gigas disappoint they may get exchanged for Ensnarers too, but that's another 40-odd points and I'm missing CS quite badly. Also see price-point. So I think one of the troops will go, and my guess is more likely a Thuul than a River Guard - but I want to give both a fair run .

Comment

20180414_001820.jpg

Completed the test naiad. She needs a net draped down her left flank from her leading hand, but that'll be actual fine netting cut to size and added after she's painted. I think 7/regiment, 14-15/horde should look full but not too cluttered. Perry (left) and GW (right) humans shown for scale.

Took a little fiddling and patching with green stuff but I'm quite pleased with her. The face is especially good; humanoid but slightly alien, with tendrils rather than hair.

20180414_001558.jpg
          20180414_001640.jpg
          20180414_003528.jpg
          Attached Files

Comment

Whats the source of those models?

Comment

Also, good core list. Kraken is the monster I would dump first, mostly because his long base makes him a pain to maneuver in the same manner as a Coral Giant and with a little trimming elsewhere you could get another ensnarer horde on the table. Another thing to consider is the Naiad Wyrm Centurian, since he is sort of like a monster but with inspire and certain cheap items can make him god damn ridiculous as a support and utility unit.

Overall, though, that's a really decent list for learning the army. You pretty much have most of the key units covered, but I would get a Knucker in there and try Wyrm Riders at some point, just for the learning aspect.

Comment

Originally posted by Phazael View Post
                Whats the source of those models?
                The snake tails are meduselai or whatever the medusa + vowels unit GW released recently was. The trident is the spear fron the set trimmed down to remove the excessive spikes and make trident-like.

The bodies, heads and arms are mantis warriors from raging heroes' Toughest Girls of the Galaxy collection. The new resins, not the old metals.

Finally the tail was mermaidified by adding skink crests - 2 for the end of the tail, 1 as a dorsal fin. An even moderately competent sculptor could save a bit and do that themselves, which would trim the cost to 10/model.

I think Kraken for more ensnarers is a 1-1 swap, no? My concern is that I'd lack offensive power as ensnarers look about as useful as a chocolate teapot for breaking lines, while a Kraken looks able to dish out while regen keeps it in the fight. You might well be right though. A second ensnarer horde seems to be a popular suggestion in any case, so I'll take another look at that after a couple of games. Thanks for the advice!

Comment

Well the point of the Ensnarers is not offense, but to squat on objectives and survive. So much of your army is MSU (and believe me I love me some MSU) that having a second anchor unit would be helpful. This is especially important as the Gigas are incredibly slow and where they start is likely where they end the game, while the Ensnarers can move with the support.

Comment

Your Naiad conversions are outstanding! I understand price point but for aesthetic reasons alone your army would look great with two Ensnarer Hordes.

Another consideration for differently kitted Naiads that your modeling skill would enhance are the Siren and the Naiad Stalker with a Harpoon Gun (form Forces of Nature). Normally I have no enthusiasm for allies but since the Stalker is a Naiad she is an interesting option for Inspiring (Naiads only) and she can boost the shootyness.

Mythican (75) is another option for the Wings of Honeymaze (40). At only 115 points his 5 attacks can be fierce and he can be customized with a wide variety of spells. I will be trying a Mythican with Wings soon. When I was sending the Centurion behind enemy lines the rest of the Fishpeople were being deprived of his Inspiring, but since the new and improved Siren has Inspiring she might be taking his place in my new lists.
                    2017: Bought a big school of TR Fishpeople, still busy glueing fins and tridents.

Comment

Originally posted by Arctic Dragon View Post
                      [...]but since the Stalker is a Naiad she is an interesting option for Inspiring (Naiads only) and she can boost the shootyness.
                      Sadly, there is no cross-army inspiring. It's dumb but I *guess* makes sense that the FoN fish people are different than the TR fish people, but... still. The stalker is super good though, and I'm a little upset that we don't have such an option in-faction, but c'est la vie I suppose.

Comment

Originally posted by Arctic Dragon View Post
                        but since the new and improved Siren has Inspiring she might be taking his place in my new lists.
                        Didn't spot that... shooting, healing, inspiring, disrupting eh? Sounds like an interesting combination.

Taking into account the suggestions, I have 3 revised list variants. All replace the winged centurion with the siren.

A

- Naiad Envoy, Lute

Horde of Ensnarers
                        - Siren
                        - Coral Giant

Horde of Depth Horrors
                        - Troop of Thuul

Horde of Wyrm Riders, dwarven ale
                        - Nak-ushi

B

- Naiad Envoy, Lute
                        - Knucker

Horde of Ensnarers
                        - Siren
                        - Coral Giant

Horde of Depth Horrors, healing brew
                        - Troop of Thuul
                        - Troop of Thuul
                        - Knucker

Thuul regiment
                        Thuul Tidal Scourge

C

- Naiad Envoy, Lute

Horde of Ensnarers
                        - Siren
                        - Coral Giant

Horde of Depth Horrors, healing brew
                        - Troop of Thuul
                        - Troop of Thuul

Horde of Gigas, blade of slashing
                        - Knucker

"A" cuts a Thuul to upgrade the gigas to ensnarers and the Kraken to Wyrm Riders (need the unlocks, apart from anything else). The Knucker becomes Nak-ushi, who seems to have a ton of utility and is almost as quick. It'd be a shame to lose the knucker, but Nak-ushi might be more forgiving and generally able to do more.

"B" cuts the Kraken and a River Guard to get the full Tidal Scourge and a second knucker, as they seem to be a double-or-nothing unit. This list exposes the naiad core a bit with a weak skirmisher line, but double knuckers and a heap of speed 7, stealthy Thuul appeals to me!

"C" is the most defensive, swapping the Kraken for a second ensnarer horde to go alongside the original ensnarers, gigas and coral giant for a solid main line. I'm not sure it has enough bite though.

Comment

The coral giant seems like a fixture though, so I started with him while I wait for naiad conversion parts. The model is from Mierce, which tend to have huge monsters but this one is stable with the base cut down to size and the sculpts have so much detail:

20180417_010537.jpg
                          20180417_010448.jpg
                          20180417_010350.jpg

It still feels like it's missing something, so I'm going to try adding lichen between some of the coral plates and anything else I can think of to give the impression that its armour is a living, coral ecosystem. It is a bit less garish when lit by daylight not camera flash, but is still more colourful than I'm used to! Should draw the eye on the table; most of the other units will be less harlequin (that green will make more appearances) but coral reefs *are* very brightly coloured...

Comment

Love the progress on the minis, brilliant kitbash on the Naiads. I kept looking at your not-medusa and trying to figure out where her head came from, way smart to use some TGG2 The mantis resculpts turned out much nicer than I originally gave them credit for (have seen quite a few popping up as daemonettes of late).

And you've got the new Mierce alternate gribbly! I like the colors, nice approximation of coral reef colors. I agree, some lichen or little sealife friends (tiny crabs?) here or there might seal the deal.
                            BLOODFIRE :: Salamander Battle Reports
                            NURGLEKIN :: Ratkin Battle Reports
                            INSTAGRAM :: boss_salvage

Comment

Interesting how kraken is a matter of personal taste. Cok 2018 both buffed it and nerfed it (base size).

​​​​​​Kraken is a Centre piece in my army. Like a dragon. And he rocks too but i get that others might prefare a giant

Comment

Working...
                              X