Announcement

Collapse

FORUMS CLOSING

Hi everyone,

This is some advance warning that these forums will be closing shortly. The last day will be the 17th December 2018. We have noticed over the past couple of years that traffic on the forum and regular users have both decreased. As a result we’ve taken the difficult decision to close the forums. We’ll still be able to answer rules questions via social media and we’ll produce articles on the Mantic Blog too.

Many thanks to all of you for your contributions and conversations on the pages here. Special thanks are extended to the moderators who have kept things ticking over for us in the background.

If there is any content you wish to keep, please download and save it before the final closing date.
See more
See less

Allies/Next Purchase Suggestions

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Allies/Next Purchase Suggestions

Hey all,
    I've just started my first army (Abyssals). At the moment I have:

1 Abyssal Temptress
    2 Hordes, 1 Regiment of Lower Abyssals
    2 Troops, 1 Regiment Flamebearers
    2 Troops Succubi
    1 Regiment Molochs

I'm really liking the idea of having some Ballistas backing up my Daemons, (Twilight Kin aside, due to their impending changes) are there any Ballistas that would both thematically make sense and be effective? Particularly for taking down heavily armored targets, as at the moment I am finding difficulty with that.
    (My only opponent plays Dwarves, I find a Horde of Abyssals with the Hammer of Measured Force to be the most effective thing atm)

Cheers!

If you have your heart set on ballistas specifically, Twilight Kin are a good bet. If you just want artillery, Abyssal dwarves have that, plus it's a fluffy alliance.
    Taking the most appropriate AD artillery profile and simply using a ballista model is an option too.

If you just want anti-armour shooting there is chroneas.
    I find abyssals work well as an aggressive in your face army though. Our shooting is pretty good, but close range and we have fury army wide.
    Try faster units, abyssal horsemen and/or archfiends to punch and gargoyles to chaff, give cover or disrupt shooting. Bane chant with the number of attacks from succubi can put damage on most things.

Comment

ya, stick in an efreet and a chroneus before you go looking for allies. your succubi with bane chant and brew of stregth can mash up most heavy armour.

Comment

a pair of regiments of Tortured souls do well against armour. Same with abyssal horsemen. Both have CS and TC; so def 5 becomes 3+ to wound.

If you're set on artillery; use allied abyssal dwarves.
        That said. Abyssal shooting is pretty effective. Efreet with piercing (or boots of the seven leagues) and chroneas melt dwarves. I've played 1,500 points wih both Chroneas and two efreet (piercing and boots) and while this was too much (didn;t do enough against goblins with plenty of individuals) it was darn effective against dwarves of either kind. Just make sure the flying king doesn't disrupt your efreet on a key moment.

Comment

Efreet, Chroneas, Archfiend with Wings, WELL OF SOULS (the most auto-include unit in the list in my book), and enough molochs to up that to a horde (regiments are not very effective). Gargoyles and tortured souls. All priority/key purchases for the army.

Comment

I dono, the well is ok but not auto include, same for molochs and ts,

the only stuff that i think is ai is 2 gargoyles, everything else is optional

Comment

Originally posted by The_Bag View Post
              I dono, the well is ok but not auto include, same for molochs and ts,

the only stuff that i think is ai is 2 gargoyles, everything else is optional
              There almost isn't a list that isn't made better by a big flying monster that is the only heal in the list, can heal multiple units in a given turn, as much as needed, has good crush ... he is borderline overpowered, and one of the 3-4 best LL units in the game.

Comment

he's a lot of points and makes for a big fat artillery target, i've not really seen any of our abyssal players use the well more than once or twice, but every list has 2 regiments of gargs, every single one. But i see your point, he's almost a sort of derpy archfiend with wings for the same price with cool healing.

Comment

Originally posted by The Bag View Post
                  he's a lot of points and makes for a big fat artillery target, i've not really seen any of our abyssal players use the well more than once or twice, but every list has 2 regiments of gargs, every single one. But i see your point, he's almost a sort of derpy archfiend with wings for the same price with cool healing.
                  One of the most successful (if not the most successful) abyssal players never leaves home without him, and I'm of the same mind and have a pretty good win rate with my list as well. gargoyles make less than half my lists. Over 2250 I have them, but at it or below, it's a coin flip, I'm more likely to not have any. 3 things in pretty much any list for me are 2 regiments of tortured souls and the well of souls.

Comment

Originally posted by Thorgrim View Post

One of the most successful (if not the most successful) abyssal players never leaves home without him, and I'm of the same mind and have a pretty good win rate with my list as well. gargoyles make less than half my lists. Over 2250 I have them, but at it or below, it's a coin flip, I'm more likely to not have any. 3 things in pretty much any list for me are 2 regiments of tortured souls and the well of souls.
                    It seems that the only thing you love more than the well of souls is an appeal to authority.

One of the amazing things about KoW is that the balance is good enough that units one person barely considers are what another swears by. Presumably coming down to the style of each player and the rest of thier list. Like the well of souls or chroneas.

Some units are downright nifty though and while I have found KoW does not have true auto includes; are taken almost always. Like 2 units of gargoyles.
                    Last edited by DarkBlack; 17-08-2018, 09:09 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Thorgrim View Post

The Well is good; in particular against elite armies or in a low-point environment. (Bringing the well + horde of TS to a 1,500 point tourney is downright nasty). That said, it IS a lot of points and a crafty opponent can neutralize it quite easily with a mounted individual or a lot of shooting. It's easily one of the better living legends, but certainly not an auto-include.....

Comment

Working...
                      X