Are Wurm Riders our Hammer Unit?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Are Wurm Riders our Hammer Unit?

I have heard that the faction defining “Weakness” or hole in the EoD faction is that we lack a true Hammer Unit, a unit that can slam into a mid-points unit and reliably break them with out support in a turn or 2. The perfect example of a unit like this is the Soul Reaver cavalry, they hit hard, accurately and can take a punch reasonably well. While most EoD units seem more defensive in nature than Undead, Revenant Wurm Riders seem like a very passable Hammer unit. If you give them the brew of sharpness, they score 10.66 wounds on a Def 5 unit on the charge as opposed to 11.11 from the soul Reavers and they are still 45 points cheaper. However, I have heard people rag on the Wurm Riders, what’s the deal? They are nice and tough, lots of attacks, fearless and their ability to crack tougher units doesn’t totally disappear when they are disordered like Chariots.

Me personally you have to look at comparisons without adding items unless one can't eg monster, (1) unit etc.

In your comparison using def 5 the riders cause 8 wounds against 11.33. If you take into account nerve so we can see if they can beak a unit, my main criteria for a hammer unit , let's say nerve 17 for arguments sake, then the work riders on an average roll need a 9 whereas the soul reavers need a 6.

In my mind that is not good enough for either unit to be a hammer, there's not enough reliability and can leave you opened to counter. The soul reaver though can become a 13.88wound unit with sharpness, so even with low roll they have a good chance, snakes are 10.66 with the same item

Add on top of that they are slower and can't be surged, it makes them harder to strike first against a lot of hard hitting fast units, which they need to do to make best of their thunderous charge or they become a 6 wound a turn unit

Comment

If anecdotes help, I've faced EOD several times with my Salamanders, and every time I've routed any worm rider hordes I faced before they could make contact or hamstrung them on terrain and smashed them on the counter-charge. Unsurgable Sp6 with that huge base and only -/17 nerve makes them a big target that's a bit pillowfisted if it finally makes combat.

I also found that the scariest fighter in the army, bar none, is the bone giant. Those dudes are shear terrors with a scary propensity for surging into flanks as well as outgrinding my wall of high def smashers.
      BLOODFIRE :: Salamander Battle Reports
      NURGLEKIN :: Ratkin Battle Reports
      INSTAGRAM :: boss_salvage

Comment

Yeah, Gone Giants seem pretty nasty all things said and done. I like reanimated behemoths as well, but their rectangular bases make flank surging a lot trickier. The thing I wanna try is to use Behemoths/Shobik/Bone Giants as a front line, then use their small bases to get out of the way so catapults and guardian archers can shoot units with out them getting cover then be surged in. Thanks for the input guys!

Comment

Originally posted by Quailman View Post
          In your comparison using def 5 the riders cause 8 wounds against 11.33 [from the SR cav]. If you take into account nerve so we can see if they can beak a unit, my main criteria for a hammer unit , let's say nerve 17 for arguments sake, then the work riders on an average roll need a 9 whereas the soul reavers need a 6.

In my mind that is not good enough for either unit to be a hammer, there's not enough reliability and can leave you opened to counter. The soul reaver though can become a 13.88wound unit with sharpness, so even with low roll they have a good chance, snakes are 10.66 with the same item
          It is also worth mentioning that the wormriders are only 210 for a horde, the SR cav are 300 for a regiment. Comparing your numbers into a points per wound figure, the WR are at 26.25 points per wound, the SR cav are at 26.48 points per wound. In that sense, the WR are practically the same.

Comment

True; wyrm riders aren;t the most expensive of hammers. Especially for a 24-attack large cavalry unit.

That said, there's something to be said for raw damage. The disadavantage of wyrm riders (def 5+/low nerve; melee 4+ and movement 6) makes them a significantly less hitty unit than soul reavers. For instance, when fighting in a forest, soul reavers will do some damage, while wyrm riders are severely hampered.
            Last edited by Vince1248; 28-09-2018, 09:28 AM. Reason: def 5 instead of def 4. It's their regiment-level nerve that makes them squishy.

Comment

Well... WR are De5+, but still. Hindering is a real threat to WR, but that's true of literally everything except a Bone Giant in EoD. However, with the change to TC, there is a real point that SR cav being CS1 and TC2 vs the WR at CS1 and TC1 is a real thing, as if the SR cav is hindered they at least keep the one point of TC1. Plus SR cav are LL2, but they also have a waver value whereas WR can't get wavered. Also, for two regiments of SR cav you can get three hordes of WR; that's very important to keep in mind.

I'm not going to say that WR are amazing or horrible, but as a second-wave hammer they do work decently well.

Comment

They did find their way into my Empire of Dust, in the end, as a slightly faster and more offensive substitute for a skeleton horde. They're not in the same league as soul reaver cavalry, no, but then they're not in anything like the same price range. I think the real hammers in the army are the monsters, especially since with Surge you can really use them precisely sometimes. Since there's so much else in the army wanting to surge, I don't actually mind that these guys don't .

Comment

They're stealth good. With +1 to hit they actually do comparable to soul reaver cav in combat and are still cheaper.

Comment

Exactly. It is very important to remember that they're only 210pts for a horde. To compare them to SR cav or direfang or even like... naiad wyrmriders is not an accurate comparison.

Also, not needing surge is something that I always, *always* undervalue. As much as I would love to be able to surge that unit into a flank, (1) with a 150mm frontage it's pretty unlikely to happen in practice, and (2) every single turn I want to surge roughly twelve units, so having one less that I can worry about is welcomed.

Comment

Working...
                    X