Steel Behemoth (in game)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Steel Behemoth (in game)

When i started KoW I was immediately drawn to this unit entry as the idea of a def 6 and high nerve crushing beast was very appealing. 2 years on and I rarely field it on the table as 250 points invested in such a slow cumbersome model doesn't seem great to me. He's lucky to get involved in one serious combat per game, so trading up in points (something mobile units can do with ease) is just not plausible.

Has anyone built a successful list which maximises his strengths? I imagine having fire power to draw the enemy in and having him counter charge seems OK, but Brock riders would counter charge more reliably due to their speed and no doubt do more damage as a flanker.

Any thoughts?

It is slow, so you want your ennemy to come at it. In other words, you should try having some long range shooting to force them to comes at you, thinks like sharpshooters to snipe their own war engines, maybe a batterry of bombards. The point is not to make a gunline, just to have enough long range threath that your opponent cannot ignore it. At worst you might get a few "free" shots while your army advance, and the behemot can be used to hold the center.

Comment

I just can't find a way to use it competitively. I usually end up bringing a Greater Earth Elemental (or two), which serves the high CS/Def role well for 90 pts less. The GEE's surge and symmetric base dimensions make it more useful in many situations, and it's more likely to get valuable flanks where it's offensive output is respectable. I have a soft spot for the Behemoth but only use it in casual games for the curb appeal. I agree with jtrowell that if you do bring it you typically want supporting fire to pressure the enemy and want to tend to use the Behemoth as the center fulcrum in your army.

Comment

This and the King on the large beast shared the same fate for me. (I even had a cool bear rider model painted and everything) The biggest problem for me is his Speed 4. Just a little bit too slow to threaten both with breath or charges. Speed 5 or 6 and you would see it much more often.

Comment

One of my long time opponents has seen resurged success with the Behemoth with the new CoK missions, oddly enough as the bigger focus on control points and board control makes it much easier to put the Behemoth where you know your opponent wants to go (that is to say in many cases your opponent canít just sit back and avoid it). Its scenario dependent, but its speed dose not hamper it from getting it into the dominate circle, onto objectives anywhere near the center line, or into your opponents half of the board.

Comment

I think I get more use out of elementals and drillers. I love my Behemoth, but I save it for 3k+ games.

Comment

Do you think it would be worth playing if its ranged presence was significant enough that people wanted to engage it so that it didn't shoot? What if it had say breath 15 piercing 1?

Comment

That would be really good. Piercing breath shooting is always good. Esp when it comes in a D6 non warmachine unit. But it might be more cost effective to take flame belchers instead.

Comment

I like my Steel Behemoth, and sometimes put two in a 2,000-point game. However, I am not a tournament player. Sometimes I play against people who are practising for a tournament, and I do reasonably well. I agree that breath weapon 10 is a bit on the underpowered side, but that's not supposed to be its main strength. The point is, at the end of many games it is still on the battlefield!

Note - I often feel my comments on effectiveness of units are less valid because I don't play in tournaments. I'm sure that's not true, of course, as I imagine there are far more non-tournament players than the rest of you - but sometimes people seem to be saying 'but how well does it do in a tournament?"

Comment

I will also chime in to say that I don't find the Behemoth competitive. The Behemoth is just too slow to generate a positive return on the points sink. I am generally happy to see SB in my opponent's army as they are easy to avoid.

If you want a monster take the GEE or Battle Driller, they provide more for less.

Comment

I agree that it is slow. I have played a few games with it, not in a tourney, and I have found it makes a great tar-baby. You can really bog down your opponent if you deploy it in the right spot.

Comment

So has anyone playtested the Behemoth with the new improvements of COK 2018? I am one of those who previously didn't field it because I thought was not worthy for its point cost. My opponents simply didn't engage him and danced around withouth giving me the opportunity to charge. Now we are as slow as before, but our threat at range has improved a lot.

My behemoth mini is waiting to see some action again...

Comment

I feel Strider is likely to be the real difference more than the increase in ranged power. Previously, it felt simply too easy for a misplaced obstacle or patch of woods to knock it down to melee 6+. As to whether I'm likely to field one, not really-250 points is, for me, simply too much for a single unit strength one monster, especially when a 160 point Greater Earth Elemental has almost the same resilience plus synergy with a Stone Priest.

Comment

I decided not to try the new rules until I owned them. We got our book last week, so we will now have the new, improved Steel Behemoth in our armies. However, I liked them before. I have 2 in my army, my son has just increased his to 3, including the new special character from CoK18. We do know some of the people who were play-testing this, however, and the general impression is that the increased number of shots is a minor improvement, the piercing 1 is moderately good, but the Strider is brilliant.

Comment

My wife has been using her Steel Behemoth to great effect for over a year now, she got to run the new and improved behemoth against my buddiesí ogre army just a little bit ago. I saw both the improved shooting and the Strider come into effect and I watched it wreak havoc amongst the ogre core.

At least when facing off against elite enemies like Ogres the difference is pretty profound, the Strider is a stark difference between doing nothing or wavering a tough opponent on the initial charge (the improved shooting didnít hurt either to help comp for the low speed).... but I was with Peter on this one in the first place, I thought it was a viable unit before the buff (at least for aggressively advancing kinds of Dwarf lists, I donít think I would think he was worth it for a gun line or even a hybrid shooting list).

Last edited by Carcearion; 22-01-2018, 10:30 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X