Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Has anyone converted D&D monsters to DS?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Has anyone converted D&D monsters to DS?

I looked a bit and haven't found anything.
    Grognards rule.

Not much home brewing was done. What specifically are you looking for?
    Dungeon Saga Content: Unofficial FAQ, Mission Reviews, QuickStart Character Creation Guide, Expanded AI Rules, Pre Made Bosses

http://twilight40k.blogspot.com/p/so...-saga-ind.html

Comment

Let me start by explaining that I am a gamer from way back. When I played D&D, it was first edition. I got Dungeon Saga because I wanted a more elegant combat system to do an old style dungeon crawl- nothing but monsters and treasure (that's how we used to do it, at any rate). So, I was thinking about getting every D&D monster I could find a miniature for. I think the conversion would be pretty straight-forward. The number to hit and would be based on the D&D armor class, the number of dice to roll is based on your character and his weapons, and damage would be based on D&D hit points. I think. I just wanted to be sure nobody else had done it before I get started.
      Grognards rule.

Comment

And I just had a thought. If I convert all the D&D monsters, wouldn't converting all the D&D modules be pretty trivial after that?
        Grognards rule.

Comment

Dungeon Saga does not have a lot of gradation available in its limited stats (Combat Dice goes from 2 to 6 and Armor 1 to 5) and I think it functions fairly differently on the table top than old school D&D since dungeon layout and specific initial monster placements are very important in dungeon saga. With the timer and movement restrictions, dungeon saga is almost like a puzzle game. If you take away the clock and play it as an attrition game like classic D&D you will probably run into the problem that the spellcasters have no spell limits so a party with a healer can essentially slow crawl their way through without any real issues.
          Dungeon Saga Content: Unofficial FAQ, Mission Reviews, QuickStart Character Creation Guide, Expanded AI Rules, Pre Made Bosses

Comment

Whilst the printed adventures are more puzzle-like, there are other ways of playing the game. A custom-made adventure can be GMed by the Overlord to tell a story and make a closer game - since it's impossible to get perfect balance without playtesting to destruction. When I play solo uncharted, it does feel more like Warhammer Quest (the old one, I've not played Silver Tower), but less random. I should say I'm not familiar with D&D and how it's play style works. DS does rely on some kind of time pressure, but that can be handled in different ways, like reinforcements showing up, or having no doors/letting the overlord open doors too.

DS stats are much more limited. I would say a basic human soldier would be Combat 4, Armour 2, Wounds 2 as a starting point. Most basic DS baddies are worse than this, and heroes are not demi-gods that can slay dozens of foes at a time. DS is not really geared up to representing things like dragons; it can be done with a little work. If you're using custom rules don't feel you have to stick to the 6 dice maximum, or the 5 Armour limit. I'm considering a campaign where you face an armour 6 greater earth elemental that will be unkillable to begin with.

Comment

Originally posted by Fyrax. View Post
              DS is not really geared up to representing things like dragons;
              But there IS a dragon in DS. There are stats for creatures ranging from a goblin to a dragon, and that covers the range of monsters as far as I'm concerned.

Thanks for the inputs guys. I think with some minor modifications, I can get my D&D adventure. Looks like it's time to get to work.
              Grognards rule.

Comment

Good luck and post your progress. Might try to pick an adventure and adapt it as the starting point.

Comment

I have two complete modules written so far that take the basic DS and turn it into a D&D-type campaign. Much more interactive and free form, than the linear DS concept. I will probably make them available later in the year.
                  Three Roads Dreamt - My novella collection is now available! Action Suspense, Fantasy and Sci-Fi:
                  http://www.amazon.com/Three-Roads-Dr...dp/1505716993/

Comment

Originally posted by MDSW View Post
                    I have two complete modules written so far that take the basic DS and turn it into a D&D-type campaign.
                    Nice. Exactly what I had in mind. So are you converting D&D monsters, making them up, or using the fluff for mantica? And are you using the cards or some other system entirely?
                    Grognards rule.

Comment

Originally posted by kj7574 View Post
                      Nice. Exactly what I had in mind. So are you converting D&D monsters, making them up, or using the fluff for mantica? And are you using the cards or some other system entirely?
                      I think what you want to do depends on the module in question. Do you play the module as one long mission or break it up into sub parts? Star Saga has some better rules for dealing with crippled heroes if you break it up. You have to use the overlord cards but do you reshuffle the deck or have something else happen when you run out (mission ends, extra monsters start showing up, bonus activations (maybe an interrupt each turn or something).

Comment

I am simply setting stats that suit the power of the beast, making some special rules and attributes, etc. My first used basic minis from Dungeon Saga, but my second was totally set in the Norse God realm. It really is fun, as every mini I come across gives me new inspiration for another campaign module. i am eagerly awaiting the Zealot Minotaurs to inspire my third campaign and I already have an incredibly unique game play twist in mind to pit player vs. player...
                        Three Roads Dreamt - My novella collection is now available! Action Suspense, Fantasy and Sci-Fi:
                        http://www.amazon.com/Three-Roads-Dr...dp/1505716993/

Comment

Details please! How/when do you introduce the monsters onto the board? Are you using the necromancer cards or something else?
                          Grognards rule.

Comment

Working...
                          X