tips needed

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• tips needed

I'm new to painting minis, especially plastic one, and I had a few questions.

1) do they need rinsed in water prior to priming?

2.) would rubber cement work for masking off the base prior to priming so that the base doesn't get sprayed by the primer? Or any suggestions?

3.) opinions on bes paints to use

Thanks for the help

hey.
    1) its a good idea, some minis have a layer of release agent from the molds on them stopping paint from sticking nicely.
    2) just prime the base at the same time. or prime off base, blutac to t stick
    3) i use whatever, some swear by armypainter, some by vallejo, the citadel paints are good but the pots are crap. for primier i think armypainter is good.

Comment

I'm with The_Bag on this one
      1) I always wash minis prior to priming. Some people seem to get by without it but I'd rather not chance it.
      2) I just prime the miniature and the base at the same time. I like to paint the bases so mine need priming.
      3) I'd suggest you go with whatever you can easily get hold of locally - there's nothing worse than running out of a colour and then having to travel miles to get a replacement or waiting days for the post to arrive. I usually buy citadel (despite the pots) even though it isn't the cheapest. I do swear by the army painter quickshade inks though - I would highly recommend you pick up at least the Strong Tone and the Dark Tone.

Comment

Thanks for the quick answers, I really appreciate it!

1) I'll make sure to wash each one before priming
        2) I wanted to mask the base because I wanted to keep it unpainted on some minis and didn't know a good way to do it
        3) Thanks for the paint suggestions. I will pick up some of the Army Painter primers as well as the quickshades.

Comment

Originally posted by lmhloa View Post
          2) I wanted to keep it unpainted on some minis and didn't know a good way to do it
          don't stick the model to the base then, put them on a piece of 2x4 to prime, then glue to base afterwards.
          also:
          5 Things Beginner Miniature Painters Need To Know | Geek and Sundry

Comment

Originally posted by The_Bag View Post

don't stick the model to the base then, put them on a piece of 2x4 to prime, then glue to base afterwards.
            also:
            5 Things Beginner Miniature Painters Need To Know | Geek and Sundry
            Sorry, I wasn't clear. I meant that I wanted to keep the minis on their factory bases and mask off certain ones so that when the mini is primed and painted I could remove the mask and reveal the factory plastic base.

Comment

oh... um... then i guess blutac/presstick or some polymer clay is probably your best bet.

Comment

Thank you, and thanks for the link for beginners

Comment

What do you guys think of wet palettes in general and this product in particular?

http://www.mastersonart.com/products/handy.htm

Thanks

Comment

wet palettes are a must, end of story, but you can easily make your own with a bit of sponge and some baking paper. (Not wax paper!!)

I use an old model blister pack with a lid, it has handy compartents for things like soap and stuff too.

That said i guess if you have 10 dollars that you really don't want, there's nothing wring with that product.

Comment

Working...
                    X