Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Terrain Modelling: Are we all GW-infected?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Woah.....I never considered just scratching the stones into the board before *mind blown*
    Hobby Blog!
    Painting & Modelling Blog!
    Gallery

Comment

Originally posted by Carcearion View Post
      Wow in just three hours!?

Looking at your basic outline their had really opened my eyes a bit in regards to what you can construct with a single board. The stone texture with a firm press of a marker is simplisticly brilliant
      Approximately, yes. But my very first building that I created took me an entire day!

More pictures can be found in the original post here. I hope you'll find it useful!

Originally posted by Carcearion View Post
      What Do you use to cut your foam?
      Well, you can use a standart hobby knife, a razor or a paper knife. But the cuts are usually pretty messy. I use this cloth cutter:

Very useful!

Originally posted by Baragash View Post
      Woah.....I never considered just scratching the stones into the board before *mind blown*
      Yes, that is a useful technique, however you need to be careful with it. Painting damaged foam as well as inking it can lead ti the foam melting and that can spoil a lot. Foe example, one of my unpainted houses with melted foundation:

Now I need to find a way to hide it.

Originally posted by Baragash View Post
      *mind blown*
      Indeed especially when you are insane enough (like me) to design something really big with a lot, a lot of bricks!
      Cutting these bricks alone took me a couple of days! )))

I hope this post was useful for you, gentlemen!
      Last edited by The Penguin; 04-06-2017, 08:37 AM.
      My growing Kings of War armies:

1) Dwarfs
      2) Undead
      3) Goblins and Orcs
      4) Sea Kin Elves
      5) Dagger Island Salamanders

Comment

Most of my terrain is based on history despite the fact that i used to play Warhammer fantasy. I never bought into the grim dark. It never made sense to me that in a world worried about disease and corruption, every farm house has skulls in every wheel barrel and grain pile. I

Ive even taken to removing all the skulls from my 40k guys.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr.SpaceBear View Post
          Most of my terrain is based on history despite the fact that i used to play Warhammer fantasy. I never bought into the grim dark. It never made sense to me that in a world worried about disease and corruption, every farm house has skulls in every wheel barrel and grain pile. I

Ive even taken to removing all the skulls from my 40k guys.
          Well, I can absolutely relate to that. That is why I was actually waiting for some mass fantasy battle game but with lighter, more optimistic look! (AOS is still not my thing) Hopefully Mantica is this place!

I may even go as far as to argue that grimdark fantasy world might be popular in well-off or rich countries, while poorer ones, or ones with complicated (to put it mild) history may search for a better, lighter games. After the terror and horrors of 1930s and 1940s in Russia, I doubt many would enjoy a fantasy world with a tyrannical, corrupt, rotting Empire at its heart. Because that is way too real for many of my people here. But I guess it's just me thinking too much..... )
          My growing Kings of War armies:

1) Dwarfs
          2) Undead
          3) Goblins and Orcs
          4) Sea Kin Elves
          5) Dagger Island Salamanders

Comment

I agree, you are thinking it too much Any burdens of history of any nation will probably manifest in different things and not what will people play in their leisure time.

As for Warhammer grimdark, I agree they went overboard with skulls. It wasn`t even funny anymore.

Yeah, historical terrain is probably the best way at making terrain because it can be used in fantasy and historical games. And probably sci fi. Woods, hills, roads, fields, swamps...you can play any fantasy or historical games in those kind of terrain.
            Hard as stone, twice as stubborn.

http://thanebobo.deviantart.com/gallery/

Comment

Just do what suits you. I do like how Battle Zone and Deadzone terrain has a more grounded hard sci fi look to it. No Gothic motifs here.

As for the ruins debate, its not always the invaders who torch a farm, sometimes the home front will do that after its people have abandoned it, to slow the invaders' advance.

And fantasy settings also tend to have magical howitzers called Wizards roaming about hurling fireballs and lightning bolts willy nilly.

Not to mention Giants and Dragons using your home as a punching bag or seeing if any tasty smaller humanoids are within.

Skulls in barrels and such is a bit weird unless you happened upon the local Necromancer/ Serial Killer... Unless its the woodturner making wooden skulls for All Hallows Eve...

Comment

Originally posted by Tugun View Post
                Skulls in barrels and such is a bit weird unless you happened upon the local Necromancer/ Serial Killer... Unless its the woodturner making wooden skulls for All Hallows Eve...
                Or it's a medieval church....
                Last edited by igelkott; 18-06-2017, 11:54 AM.

Comment

Or making a memorial out of the skulls of enemies who blew themselves as well as your guys up just cos they didn't want to be taken alive and tortured...

Comment

Working...
                  X