Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Tyrant of Halpi - Adventure 1 almost impossible?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tyrant of Halpi - Adventure 1 almost impossible?

Hi all,

Last night we were having a go at the Tyrant of Halpi expansion, and we must be doing something wrong, because it seemed almost impossible for the heroes to win. It takes at least 3 turns to get to the door marked X (unless you send the magic user first, which would be daft). Then in the overlords first turn all minions get to act, so all those in the final room can just squeeze in to the corridor and block it. Then whichever hero opened the door starts their turn in the front arc of the enemy, so must fight them, and then has already acted so they can't move forwards. In the overlord turn they just move the minions in to fill the gap. This repeats until the overlord runs out of minions - the hero must win every fight in order for it to be possible for them to reach the chest in the last turn before they run out of time.

I've got 2 theories:

1) If you start the turn in the front arc of an enemy, you can fight them, if you win then you get to move. I'm 99% that's wrong though, looking at the rules.
    2) Opening the door marked X (because it doesn't have a mundane or magical lock) doesn't take an action to open, so the hero can open the door and continue moving through it and down the corridor which splits

Anyone else had trouble with this one?

Cheers
    Joe

Though I don't have the expansion, you say on the "overlords first turn, all minions get to act, all those in the final room just crowd into the corridor and block it". My question is;

1) Do you have to open a door to unveil the final room? If so, none of those minions should be on the map at all, and therefore cannot act. Only when you open a door does whats inside get revealed (at least that's how it is on the main game).
    2) If they are behind a door, don't open it on the first turn, that way that can't act.
    3) How many activations does the overlord get per turn?

Comment

Ordinarily a model can't open a door and move through it on the same turn, because opening the door involves fighting it, and models can't fight-then-move, only move-then-fight. How you would get around this would be to have the first hero fight the door while standing to the side of it, and then the next hero can move through it. That won't work here as the door is in a corridor of width 1.

However, the door has no magic ward rating, and no armour/dice rating, so I suspect opening the door doesn't count as an action, and the hero can just open the door as part of their movement.

The overlord gets 2 activations per turn, but as I said, there's a special rule for this adventure where on the overlords first turn after the door opens, every minion gets to act.

Comment

Originally posted by spectre1989 View Post
        Ordinarily a model can't open a door and move through it on the same turn, because opening the door involves fighting it, and models can't fight-then-move, only move-then-fight. How you would get around this would be to have the first hero fight the door while standing to the side of it, and then the next hero can move through it. That won't work here as the door is in a corridor of width 1.

However, the door has no magic ward rating, and no armour/dice rating, so I suspect opening the door doesn't count as an action, and the hero can just open the door as part of their movement.

The overlord gets 2 activations per turn, but as I said, there's a special rule for this adventure where on the overlords first turn after the door opens, every minion gets to act. -------- I see, so it's only on opening the door. Understood
        The door has no armour or ward on it? Does it not say how to treat the door in the quest book?

Comment

It just says that when the door is opened, it causes a bunch of other un-openable doors to open (it's some ancient dwarven mechanism)

Comment

I've not played this one, but looking at the mission, I think it's worse than you've stated. I think the Overlord has to make a lot of mistakes and basically let the Heroes win, otherwise it's impossible.

The door does have a lock - the icon is just a little to the side of the map. It's strength 3 with lockpick of 1.

So one hero opens the door on turn 2 or 3. The other heroes can't move past it and the wizard only has tortured steps as an offensive spell without LOS. If the overlord moves a minion to where the door X was, the only way to kill more than one of the thralls at once is to break away, have Ally fire at at one, and then move in with a third hero. And that should be easily preventable by the Overlord. A good Overlord will make you kill the 5 minions in the last room 1 at time, so even a perfect run will take more time than is allowed. That's without the Overlord summoning more thralls.

It seems something is badly wrong with the mission - I can't imagine it got through playtesting like this. Maybe one of the rules has been written wrong. I wonder if it's that the minions in the last room shouldn't get to act in the first turn after the door is opened, though that still means an interrupt would thoroughly mess up the heroes.

It's also concerning that this hasn't been brought up before now. It rather suggests no-one is playing Tyrant of Halpi, which can't be good.

Comment

I was having difficulty visualising it. But Fyrax seems to have poured a bit of petrol onto a smouldering fire!

I only have the Warlord of Galahir expansion. The next one I'd get would probably be Hypai or Infernal Crypts. Is the return of valandor worth getting over either of them? (Sorry for the temporary derail)

Comment

I got all the expansions during the Kickstarter, but Halpi is the first one we've tried other than the main game campaign (which was excellent). As Fyrax has mentioned, it seems like the overlord really has to let them win in this adventure. I'm all for holding back a bit so the heroes can get through by the skin of their teeth, but this one is just silly.

Comment

I'd go with Infernal Crypts Doc rot - it has more interesting minions and adds lava. Return of Valendor adds more undead, but no new types and only one new hero (sort of). Tyrant of Halpi uses 3 types of Thralls as minions. They're all basically less interesting skeletons. But it does have a dragon, so there's that.

Comment

I have also personally not tried it but looking at it I would guess there is an error in the Special Rule-Action. I think only the models behind the Y doors get all these actions. The models behind the X door do not. They are free to activate the following overlord turn when the overlord is back at his normal 2 activations. As written the heroes will just never be able to advance into the room as at most they can stop 1 of the 2 Thralls already in the hall from moving up regardless of their positions and the others will fill the hall quickly forcing like 1 Thrall killed and like no spaces gained until they are all dead which will run you out of time before getting to the chest let alone worry about surviving the rest of the monsters coming toward you.

Try the mission that way and let me know.
                    Dungeon Saga Content: Unofficial FAQ, Mission Reviews, QuickStart Character Creation Guide, Expanded AI Rules, Pre Made Bosses

http://twilight40k.blogspot.com/p/so...-saga-ind.html

Comment

You'll also have to say the Overlord can't play any cards until the turn after the Y door minions move - otherwise a create thrall or extra command card will render the game unwinnable.

Comment

Originally posted by Fyrax. View Post
                        I'd go with Infernal Crypts Doc rot - it has more interesting minions and adds lava. Return of Valendor adds more undead, but no new types and only one new hero (sort of). Tyrant of Halpi uses 3 types of Thralls as minions. They're all basically less interesting skeletons. But it does have a dragon, so there's that.
                        Thanks Fyrax

Comment

Got this response from a support ticket:

The rules committee have play tested that and there is some stuff that needs to go into the errata. Here is the RC's answer:

The Tyrant of Halpi Quest Book:
                          Page 10, Adventure 1 : Include the following additional item with Ibrahim, Human Paladin: “1 Haste Potion”.

Page 11, Adventure 1, Special Rule - Actions: Replace : “On the first Overlord Turn after their models are put on the board, every Minion gets to act. After that, they get 2 actions per Turn.”
                          with: “On the first Overlord Turn after the doors marked Y are opened and Minion models are placed on the board, every Minion previously hidden behind the doors marked Y are allowed to act this Round. After that, the Overlord gets 2 actions per Turn.”

Page 11, Adventure 1, Map Layout : Replace: “Chest Z, Strength 4 / Armour 4 / Lock 2”
                          with: “Chest Z, Strength 3 / Armour 3 / Lock 1”

We will get the errata updated as soon as we can.

Comment

Working...
                          X