• Show
Clear All

• The Death Song of Gullana of the Herd

Kyron Brave,
    Kyron Bold,
    Mother of Old,
    Hear our sister's song.

We recall her names:

Gullana of the Red Claw Tribe A name given not earned, though she brought honour to it.

Ash-Bearer For her deed in the forest. She sought out two lost cubs, when little more than a cub herself. She found them cornered by a never-found lynx. She took up a branch of ash, broke it in twain and sharpened the tip. She angered the lynx so it let the cubs alone and charged her. As it leapt, she planted her spear of ash so the lynx impaled itself. The cubs were returned to their dam unharmed.

Wise Elf-Friend For her labours with the Rholdan Tribe of the Sylvan Kin. She argued for balance and peace. When the elves sought stone, she persuaded them to take wood. So she preserved Mother's Body, which does not regrow. When her Tribe sought to destroy the elves' farmland, she argued restraint. She told her Tribe that Mother would not permit elves to take food from her if they had not her blessing. So a peace was struck.

Dam, Great Dam, and Grand Dam For her children, her children's children, and her children's children's children. A mother after Mother: kind, good, stern and hard.

Bold-Claw For her blinding of her cub's companion. She deemed this companion unfit to be her cub's mate, and warned him off. Twice more she warned, but was ignored. She attacked the companion, beating him fiercely and destroying his eye. For this, she was brought before her Elders at the Totem. She made appeal to Kryon Bold. Since life was not taken, and sight remained in one eye, her appeal was accepted. She was thus marked, thus named, and let alone.

Orc-Shield For her part in the defence of the Darkwood. She took up an ash spear again when the orcs threatened. Though scared, she held her bones. When the orcs attacked, she did not run but fought with brothers and sisters. By her own reckoning, she killed three, before she was struck down. Her leg was badly cut, and she limped from that time on.

Cloth-Smith For her prowess as a tailor. In later years she returned to her sire's trade, becoming deft of claw and with an eye for style. As she grew in skill, she was much imitated, even outside her Tribe. She made clothes for her Elders before the Totem, in a new style that garnered much praise.

Her name then is:
    Gullana of the Red Claw Tribe; Ash-Bearer; Wise Elf-Friend; Dam, Great Dam and Grand Dam; Bold-Claw; Orc-Shield; Cloth-Smith

Her name is finished; her song is over; her life is completed.
    To Kyron Brave we gift her soul.
    To Kyron Bold we gift her spirit.
    To Mother we gift her body.
    To her kin we gift her strength.
    To her Tribe we gift her wisdom.
    To her Herd we gift her song.

Wonderfully done, very evocative!

Comment

This primary-source method of learning about a culture is a wonderful change from third-person narration, especially when it's done as well as this. This piece says as much about the Herd as it does the individual. The naming and funerary beliefs here fit very well with what we know about them.
      Thanks,
      Hal

Comment

Thanks guys

Originally posted by Halberd3000 View Post
        This piece says as much about the Herd as it does the individual.
        That was definitely my intent - I'm glad I was successful. I'm much less interested in characters than in the cultures of Mantica. Characters in stories are normally exceptional - I'd prefer to focus on the mundane and average.

Comment

Originally posted by Fyrax. View Post
          Thanks guys
          That was definitely my intent - I'm glad I was successful. I'm much less interested in characters than in the cultures of Mantica. Characters in stories are normally exceptional - I'd prefer to focus on the mundane and average.
          I think that's imperative. We can't know what's exceptional if we don't have the mundane and average mapped out.
          Thanks,
          Hal

Comment

Top notch. For the Herd!

Comment

Working...
            X